Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

4 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

Saying Tatum isn't even close to Simmons is a stretch. Tatum looks like he will be one of the best pure scorers in the league if he continues to progress. Simmons is a great player as well. These two will be in the next wave of super stars.

yea if you think Tatum is going to be a HOF level scorer down the line that's fine, but right now Simmons is the lead playmaker for a playoff team as a rookie. Much bigger role than Tatum's

Yeah, his role is bigger because of the team though, not necessarily the talent. The 76ers have two legit players in Joel Embiid and Simmons, and a bunch of role players right now. Tatum is on a top 5 NBA squad.

I agree Simmons is better right now, but people act like there is a huge gap. I don't agree with that.

7 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Yeah, his role is bigger because of the team though, not necessarily the talent. The 76ers have two legit players in Joel Embiid and Simmons, and a bunch of role players right now. Tatum is on a top 5 NBA squad.

I agree Simmons is better right now, but people act like there is a huge gap. I don't agree with that.

The Sixers have two legit players?! Lol 

Being able to slot in as a role player is huge for development and performance as a rookie. Tatum is impressive, but his efficiency would be affected if he was on a true top 5 pick type of team. Goes both ways. 

Just now, champ11 said:

The Sixers have two legit players?! Lol 

Being able to slot in as a role player is huge for development and performance as a rookie. Tatum is impressive, but his efficiency would be affected if he was on a true top 5 pick type of team. Goes both ways. 

I meant legit as in like...good-great.

It's not as if the Celtics have some incredible offensive options though that would make them want to restrict Tatum if he was that level of player. Cant just assume he'd slot in and be able to be the ball-dominant player for a winning team the way Simmons has, as there are very few players, let alone rookies who can.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, amac said:

If his team was depending on him for that kind of usage rate his efficiency would most likely go down and without Simmons playmaking.  He's been an efficient role player while Simmons is a legit superstar. not even close

THIS is just a silly comment, Of course if Tatum was the top option his Efficiency would go down. Jordan only shot around 50%. What's your point? But calling him a role player is a JOKE. He is on a damn good team. If Simmons played on Boston's current roster (instead of Tatum) He would be a role player, with far less productivity and possibly playing as a point forward or backup with some real ****ty shooting numbers. Flip side, if Tatum played second option on Philly next to Embiid, he would be blowing it up. 

Usage rating allowed some players like  MCW to actually win ROY, while a player like Kobe (mentioned by someone in the other thread.) was only a role player scoring 6.9 his rookie year. You have to look past a player's situation and focus in on actual skills. . And anyone with half a clue could see how smooth and athletic Tatum already is. All while possessing a damn pure jump shot with the mind set and fearlessness to take BIG shots.

In the meantime, I will be watching what BS will be doing come crunch time. Especially now that other teams are learning to back way off his drive and that BS (at this time) can't even shoot FTs. 

10 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

He's definitely not a legit superstar, but only looking at 4th quarter FG% to say someone always produces when it matters most is beyond cherry picking.

It's been 25 games and you're saying Tatum will produce when it matters most and Simmons will disappear.  You're reaching so far right now man.

In don't think you have to be Nostradamus to see how there is and will be a BIG difference in hitting big shots late in the game between these 2 in the years to come. 

29 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

THIS is just a silly comment, Of course if Tatum was the top option his Efficiency would go down. Jordan only shot around 50%. What's your point? But calling him a role player is a JOKE. He is on a damn good team. If Simmons played on Boston's current roster (instead of Tatum) He would be a role player, with far less productivity and possibly playing as a point forward or backup with some real ****ty shooting numbers. Flip side, if Tatum played second option on Philly next to Embiid, he would be blowing it up. 

Usage rating allowed some players like  MCW to actually win ROY, while a player like Kobe (mentioned by someone in the other thread.) was only a role player scoring 6.9 his rookie year. You have to look past a player's situation and focus in on actual skills. . And anyone with half a clue could see how smooth and athletic Tatum already is. All while possessing a damn pure jump shot with the mind set and fearlessness to take BIG shots.

In the meantime, I will be watching what BS will be doing come crunch time. Especially now that other teams are learning to back way off his drive and that BS (at this time) can't even shoot FTs. 

Did you really bring up Michael Jordan? 

MCW team was one of the worst ever iirc. It was pretty obvious to anyone who didn't judge him by volume of basic box score that he wasn't actually a productive player. Ben Simmons isn't a case of bad team= inflated stats. His team is good, largely because of him.

Rondo was a pretty great point guard back then, but again I have no idea how his situation playing with 3 HOFers is remotely comparable to the 76ers. 

9 minutes ago, amac said:

Did you really bring up Michael Jordan? - point being efficiency goes down when shooting a lot more, even for the so-called greatest.

MCW team was one of the worst ever iirc. It was pretty obvious to anyone who didn't judge him by volume of basic box score that he wasn't actually a productive player. - If only you could re-read some posts back then.

Rondo was a pretty great point guard back then, but again I have no idea how his situation playing with 3 HOFers is remotely comparable to the 76ers. You are basically making it sound like being a lead play-maker makes BS a "great player" because his team is early on, in the playoff hunt.

*also, I never felt Rondo was great. Actually did not like Rondo. Felt he was made to look far better that he really was because of the 3 HOF. Since then Rondo has proven me right. 

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

Ben Simmons is clearly ahead of Tatum right now and projects to be down the road, but the bolded is just wrong.  There was a general consensus of anger for Hinkie trading MCW to the Bucks.  "How are we rebuilding if we trade our young talent?!".   You're factually wrong there.  Most people and philly fans thought he was good.

Simmons looks like he's going to be a top 10 player some day.   It's a bit harder to compare to Simmons because they have different professional start points, but Tatum is two years younger that Simmons, and again, didn't have all of last year to grow and get NBA training.  Tatum is a baby and not only shooting at an absurd efficiency, he has been very good on defense and as a rebounder.  And the eye test says he has legit NBA moves that aren't going to get figured out.  He can get a quality shot off against anyone.  Smaller guys in the post or just shooting over, and bigger guys putting on skates and getting to the rim or taking a pull up jumper - and more importantly shoot all of them at an elite level.  He's also shown to be an above average passer and ball handler when generating offense and getting to the rim. 

And he's 19.  

As for the argument detailing field goal attempt hierarchy, I'm pretty sure Marcus Morris and Marcus Smart are #3 and #4 on the team.  It's not like Tatum isn't shooting because he's not capable of it.  He's deferring to the vets and Stevens doesn't call plays for him because he's rookie and needs to "earn his stripes".  It's clear to anyone watching the Celtics that Tatum is their second best scorer.   Just like Jaylen last year after the all star break and then moreso this year, I expect Tatum's usage to creep up as Stevens trusts him more and more time has gone by for it to be clear he should be shooting instead of Smart jacking up 3s.  

Tatum right now looks better than Brown did after the all star break where he had a big jump up.  Sky is the limit for Tatum after a full season or even half a season this year.

I mean we're talking about a guy who leads the league in 3pt FG% and I saw an infographic I believe is 2nd in the NBA in FG% in the fourth quarter and 2nd in the NBA in 3pt FG% in the fourth.   He's a legit scorer and on a different team like the Kings would definitely be scoring at least 20 points a night.  He's not just a spot up shooter.  He's already very good to elite at a ton of offensive skills.

preach my brother

Archived