Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

Meanwhile Dennis Smith is challenging Lonzo Ball and others for most inefficient player in the league. I see an entertaining dunker and scorer who more often than not is a glorified Emmanuel Mudiaye. But at least Lonzo Ball is a great passer and impacts the game in other ways.

Smith positives and negatives:

Positives:

-Can get to the rim with ease

-An upper, upper athlete I this league

-Plus "point guard" who finds open players and can run an offense

Negatives:

-Can't finish at the rim to save his life - gets blocked at an all time bad rate

-Highly inconsistent 3-point shooter (30% right now)

-Not a good shooter in general (3-point, mid-range, free throw all negatives)

-Not a good defender

-Phases out of the game at times, lacks energy on both ends at times

So overall, potential-wise, I think his ceiling is a far more athletic, but less efficient Kyle Lowry, but we're a very long ways away from that. Sadly I see a chucking point guard who can't shoot and can be a ball stopper/black hole but has that "alpha dog mentality" in terms of taking the shot or never being afraid to shoot. Hopefully whoever we draft in the top 5 (please Bagley) doesn't get phased out of the game when Smith chucks and chucks and chucks.

There's my painfully honest assessment of Dennis Smith Jr. so far. Maybe a bit of overreaction, but the most exciting part of him so far is his pre-game windmill dunks...

20 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Your comments were that he can get to the rim with ease and is a top Elite athlete then why does he have such a hard time finishing?

All because you are a great athlete doesn't mean you are a great finisher. Have you not seen physically dominate players in the NFL/NBA/MLB, be monstrous busts? The list is endless. 

He was gifted with the talent, but hasn't honed the skill.  

On 12/26/2017 at 6:16 PM, Tyronnosaurus said:

Dennis Smith is 3-13 tonight. We had a top 10 pick in a deep draft and wasted it on the most inefficient player in the NBA.

Wait a minute, how dare you steal the "most inefficient player" title away from Lonzo Ball. Has he really relinquished that accomplishment yet?

On 12/26/2017 at 9:16 PM, Tyronnosaurus said:

Dennis Smith is 3-13 tonight. We had a top 10 pick in a deep draft and wasted it on the most inefficient player in the NBA.

Dennis Smith must have heard you 21 points 10 rebounds 10 assists tonight on a very efficient shooting effort. Was this game of fluke or perhaps he's finding his Groove and turning the corner . time will tell

Archived