Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

I'm not saying Tatum can't improve, but what legitimate super star have we seen in recent years where you weren't able to anoint them within their first season. Again, I'm not talking about star players or guys who creep up the rankings at their positions over time through steady improvement. I'm talking about guys you see play one time and you go, that guys going to be one of the best at his position for a long time. Scheme, responsibilities and everything else aside, it's pretty evident between Tatum and Simmons who the future superstar is and who is more likely to just be another star in this league.

Meaning, assuming he stays healthy, Simmons has the potential to be the next LeBron. Tatum at his peak is probably more comparable to Carmelo.

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I'm not saying Tatum can't improve, but what legitimate super star have we seen in recent years where you weren't able to anoint them within their first season. Again, I'm not talking about star players or guys who creep up the rankings at their positions over time through steady improvement. I'm talking about guys you see play one time and you go, that guys going to be one of the best at his position for a long time. Scheme, responsibilities and everything else aside, it's pretty evident between Tatum and Simmons who the future superstar is and who is more likely to just be another star in this league.

Meaning, assuming he stays healthy, Simmons has the potential to be the next LeBron. Tatum at his peak is probably more comparable to Carmelo.

Ew. Carmelo? Tatum has already shown more defensively than Carmelo did for most of his career.

The Paul Pierce comparison for Tatum was pretty spot on tbh.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Ew. Carmelo? Tatum has already shown more defensively than Carmelo did for most of his career.

The Paul Pierce comparison for Tatum was pretty spot on tbh.

I thought I was being kind with the comparison lol. At his peak, Carmelo was definitely the better player or "star" between himself and Pierce, so that's why I used him as the basis of the comparison. I agree though, Tatum looks to already be a superior defender compared to Carmelo, but that's the problem with comparisons is that they'll never be a true 1 to 1 correlation. My overall point though was that no matter how talented a player Carmelo was, you never put him quite on the same plane as LeBron. That's kind of how I see it with Simmons and Tatum. No matter how much more Tatum improves, he just simply doesn't have the same type of talent or overall potential as Simmons.

Rondo, Smart, MKG, D Howard, D Jordan, and soon to be Lonzo. All players who just can not improve their outside games/Fts too much if at all after time. I have seen/played/coached/trained so much basketball throughout my years. My conclusion is that most, not all, broken shooters stay broken when in adulthood. Not saying BS will be one of them, he is young and can improve, I just feel the pcts are against him. And IF true, his shooting deficiencies will not allow to achieve "super stardom" 

As for the Tatum - Melo/Pierce comparison, neither are/were Elite 2 way defenders. I feel Tatum will be or close to it. people need to remember how much more a 22 or 23 year old will fill out and become stronger/faster than a 19 year old. Tatum still has a lot higher ceiling left. 

For as impressive as he's been, it's pretty ridiculous to start comparing a 13 point per game rookie to Paul Pierce and Carmelo Anthony. And for as much as I hate Anthony, to get offended by that comparison is pretty crazy. And not only that, but placing negatives on those two to hype up Tatum even more. Let's let Tatum play more than 30 games before comparing him to a future Hall of Famer, NBA Finals MVP in Pierce lol.

7 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

How many teams in the past 20 years have we seen be the #1 seed in the conference and have a top 3 pick?

Tatum does not have the usage most top 10 picks have.   I don't know about you, but when I see Tatum, I see future super star.  He just doesn't have the luxury of having the ball in his hands for 90% of the game like most future stars do.  I mean really, how many teams have had a top ten pick in the past twenty years that had one guy the calibre of Kyrie?  How many with Kyrie and Horford?  And then you have a plethora of other guys that most rookie lotto picks don't have on their team.  Tatum has done everything he could with the opportunities/minutes/shots available to him.

Switch Tatum and Simmons.  I'm not sure Simmons would be having that much more success.  He's a poor shooter and you don't take the ball out of Kyries hands for him.  On the flip side Tatum has proven he's an elite scorer.  He can blow past guys.  He can post up.  He can finish with both hands.  He's an elite 3 point shooter. And he's a better defender than Simmons.   Give Tatum Simmons opportunities and he'd be scoring a lot more and I think you'd be singing a different tune.

add 4 for 4 from 3, before throwing up a half court shot at the buzzer at halftime.

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

IM NOT A FAN 

man respect to any fellow man that stick to their guns no matter how ****ty the opinion looks down the line. they mocked the takes & now they fans the second he's no longer "just a chucker" because all they looked at where shooting percentages

7 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Well its still early, but as of now can we all agree that Simmons, Tatum, Kuzman have an extremely strong lead on making the all-rookie teams. Who else rounds the top 5? Mitchell probably?

Who fills in the last spot?

Does Atlanta's Collins squeeze in?

D Fox? Markkanan? someone else?

It'd be hard to leave those 4 off right now. Simmons and Tatum are locks. Hard to leave either Kuz or Mitchell off they way they've been playing. 5th spot is certainly wide open right now for a 2 month all rookie team. Does the NBA do 2 G and 3 F for that or is it just the 5 best rookies? 

11 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

man respect to any fellow man that stick to their guns no matter how ****ty the opinion looks down the line. they mocked the takes & now they fans the second he's no longer "just a chucker" because all they looked at where shooting percentages

nope. saw him in person this season vs the rockets. dude is going to be a stud.

Archived