Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

2 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

He doesn't have the counting stats, he's on a minutes restriction and he's not 100% all the way back from the ACL injury but I think you could argue in terms of his impact on the court he's been one of the 5 most impactful rookies this season. 

usually the top 5 most impactful rookies have a high minute and/or usage rate, OG is behind I that. We will see as the season goes on if it rises up more. And it should.

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

usually the top 5 most impactful rookies have a high minute and/or usage rate, OG is behind I that. We will see as the season goes on if it rises up more. And it should.

I guess I mean minute by minute plus role on the team and team success. I don't want to down play someone like DSJ who is allotted high mins and volume already and is sort of the guy on some nights on a two win team obviously he's talented and doesn't have much of a team around him. I'm not bashing him I was just using him as an example.

Someone like Tatum or even Simmons are probably the top 2 rookies right now all things considered. I get you're point I just think on Toronto a team that usually doesn't even play rookies he's already made more of an impact than basically any rookie since Bosh to start of a rookie year. 

4 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

I guess I mean minute by minute plus role on the team and team success. I don't want to down play someone like DSJ who is allotted high mins and volume already and is sort of the guy on some nights on a two win team obviously he's talented and doesn't have much of a team around him. I'm not bashing him I was just using him as an example.

Someone like Tatum or even Simmons are probably the top 2 rookies right now all things considered. I get you're point I just think on Toronto a team that usually doesn't even play rookies he's already made more of an impact than basically any rookie since Bosh to start of a rookie year. 

bottom line is by years end a lot can change and OG is up trending now.

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

bottom line is by years end a lot can change and OG is up trending now.

While that's true. I know it's early but I can't help but get way too excited. I know he won't with rookie of the year and likely won't even be top 5. I'm just saying if he continues to play like this and improve and gets over the minutes restriction and remains a starter on a top 3-4 team in the east that'd be pretty damn good. His impact has already been felt on both sides of the ball. 

Man these Knicks fans on Twitter are something else. It's a Ntilikina vs. Smith Jr. war no matter what happens. Using Ntilikina's plus minus as a prime example why he's "better" than DSJ. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with Frank getting to play with a 7'3 30 point per game superstar. Yes I know his defense is exceptional, but plus minus is probably the worst stat in the NBA.

Smith's two best teammates are Harrison Barnes (who plays power forward) and 40 year old Dirk. And 95% of the lineups he plays with consists of two of 6'1 Devin Harris, 5'10 JJ Barea, and 6'0 Yogi Ferrell playing the 2 and 3 spots. And he gets to play with one true center: Salah Mejri. The shots at his efficiency are ridiculous at this point.

I see Ricky Rubio in Frank Ntilikina and Damian Lillard in Smith Jr. And even with that, the Knicks needed "Ricky Rubio" more than "Damian Lillard". And the Mavs needed a Damian Lillard far more than a Ricky Rubio. But the Knicks fanbase hate for DSJ just over LeBron's comments is pretty funny.

I guess I've never had the opportunity to brag about a young player like Smith before so this is all new to me lol.

Flame away Knicks fans. I like Frank, just bringing up conversation.

Anyways I'd rank the top rookies as so:

1) Simmons

2) Tatum

3) Smith Jr.

4) Kuzma

5) Mitchell

11 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

He doesn't have the counting stats, he's on a minutes restriction and he's not 100% all the way back from the ACL injury but I think you could argue in terms of his impact on the court he's been one of the 5 most impactful rookies this season. 

I hate the Nuggets so much for not just taking him at 13. 

15 hours ago, champ11 said:

I hate the Nuggets so much for not just taking him at 13. 

Several teams otta be kicking themselves for that. Denver would have been alright just keeping Mitchell as well although OG would have been a better fit I'm still not sure why they made that trade down. 

7 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Several teams otta be kicking themselves for that. Denver would have been alright just keeping Mitchell as well although OG would have been a better fit I'm still not sure why they made that trade down. 

Rumors have it that PHX backed out of trading Bledsoe for that first at the last minute. Mitchell wouldn't be playing with the Nuggets so I'm not that upset about that (although he's nice) but yeah the trade down sucks. And I was so bummed when OG went. I wanted Semi or Jordan Bell smh. 

Archived