Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

9 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21702359/nba-boston-celtics-rookies-crucial-part-team-rapid-rise

Celtics have played seven rookies this season.  Three of which are getting legitimate rotation minutes.  Semi and Theis' defense have both been very impressive.  Semi can guard 1-5 and has been trusted to guard guys from Booker to Lebron to Durant.  Probably never going to develop enough of a shot to be a starter somewhere, but he's going to have a good long NBA career on defense alone.

Tatum has appeared to be getting more run in the offense of late.  And it's been great success.  I forget the exact numbers but I read that the Celtics have been about 15 points better in offensive rating the past 8(?) games or so.

Tatum's past 5 games:  17 PPG, 60% FG, 69% 3PT, 6 RPG

And that's along with some very good defense.  Kid is an elite scorer already.  On any other (typical) lottery team, he's got a high usage and is pushing 25 points per game [with lesser efficiency].  

Also Jason "it's not even close" Tatum steps up big in the 4th quarter while other so called "super star" rookies disappear when it counts. 

*ducking for cover..

Interesting game watching Frank Ntilikina playing a national televised game against a polar opposite PG (Lonzo obviously) Both are about the same age and have similar bodies. BUT One was extremely hyped the other an almost unknown before the draft. One is thrown into the fire whether he is ready or not while the other gets playing time in slow gradual steps. I thought FN showed some of the reasons people thought he might be a good one. I see him getting more minutes and eventually starting by Allstar game. 

35 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

frank had a ton of pre-draft hype... lotta folks liked him more than lonzo. i did and i think @11sanchez11 too. 

I can understand saying that though. I liked Frank I had him as my #3 PG and a lotto talent but I didn't have a ton to work with reading reports watching highlights and I was able to watch one of his whatever league playoff games in which he didn't play much I knew at worst he was going to be a more than capable defender. 

He should be starting though Jarrett Jack sucks. 

6 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

I can understand saying that though. I liked Frank I had him as my #3 PG and a lotto talent but I didn't have a ton to work with reading reports watching highlights and I was able to watch one of his whatever league playoff games in which he didn't play much I knew at worst he was going to be a more than capable defender. 

He should be starting though Jarrett Jack sucks. 

he had a handful of youtube games & cut-ups online, but i think most of them got taken down for some reason. but yeah there wasn't a ton to work w/ there. 

6 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

he had a handful of youtube games & cut-ups online, but i think most of them got taken down for some reason. but yeah there wasn't a ton to work w/ there. 

Yea if you didn't try it was tough to find. I watched like 9 UCLA games last year they were just on.

On another note have the Jazz decided to retire Mitchell's number yet? Do we put him have Stockton and behind Malone or over both?

Since the game against Washington, where Simmons was intentionally fouled for 24 fits, he has regressed. He continues to shy away in the 4th quarter. Taking only 6 shots against a bad team without Embiid is pretty bad. Simmons is currently 1 and 7 without Embiid. Dropped from 4th seed to 12? in a matter of 2 weeks. I just don't see the mind set of a player that is supposedly a potential "Superstar".

In fact he looks rather passive and scared when the game is on the line.

Despite his lofty boxscore stats, of which most comes early in games, if Simmons doesn't start showing some guts in the 4th quarter and becoming more aggressive, Philly will continue to lose and Simmons will end up nothing more than a super-sized Rondo.

15 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Since the game against Washington, where Simmons was intentionally fouled for 24 fits, he has regressed. He continues to shy away in the 4th quarter. Taking only 6 shots against a bad team without Embiid is pretty bad. Simmons is currently 1 and 7 without Embiid. Dropped from 4th seed to 12? in a matter of 2 weeks. I just don't see the mind set of a player that is supposedly a potential "Superstar".

In fact he looks rather passive and scared when the game is on the line.

Despite his lofty boxscore stats, of which most comes early in games, if Simmons doesn't start showing some guts in the 4th quarter and becoming more aggressive, Philly will continue to lose and Simmons will end up nothing more than a super-sized Rondo.

lol that's ridiculous. 

Archived