Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

2 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Simmons is a PG who needs the ball in his hands to be successful, I agree he'd be better aided surrounded by shooters but he just takes the ball out of Irving/Haywards hands a lot which is not ideal. I wouldn't trade Tatum for Simmons with the current make up of our team, no way. Now if we didn't have Kyrie, that obviously makes sense.

beat me by 5 seconds. 

11 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Can we agree that for Simmons to be his most effective, he needs the ball in his hands and can't play off the ball? Assuming that's a yes, NO WAY in hell does Kyrie want be off the ball, even part time after leaving Lebron and Cleveland. He wants to be a full-time PG/Decision maker. Never happens under Simmons.

He may not have loved it, but if LeBron and Kyrie found a way to work, I'm fairly certain Stevens would have found a way to make Kyrie and Simmons work. And given the ridiculous usage Embiid has, it's not like Simmons hasn't gotten accustomed to playing off ball and sharing the rock. Sure, you'd probably see Horford and Browns touches come down a little, but not to the detriment of the team. Not saying Simmons would have make the Celtics any better, just that I don't think he would have made the team any worse given the overall level of talent and coaching on the team.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

Can we agree that for Simmons to be his most effective, he needs the ball in his hands and can't play off the ball? Assuming that's a yes, NO WAY in hell does Kyrie want be off the ball, even part time after leaving Lebron and Cleveland. He wants to be a full-time PG/Decision maker. Never happens under Simmons.

If Irving’s main focus is leading the Celtics to championships, having an elite playmaking mismatch in Simmons in the front court helps him do that. Irving showed how deadly he was sharing an offense with LeBron on his way to a championship. The Warriors are where they are today because they first had Green to compliment Curry’s dominance as a scorer. 

The more mismatches and playmakers a team has, the better. Hayward as the #3 option and Horford as the #4 behind Irving and Simmons is a championship caliber foundation. More size, athleticism, rebounding, defense, passing and mismatches. No chance the Celtics are better with a less impactful player in Tatum. 

4 minutes ago, Darkness said:

If Irving’s main focus is leading the Celtics to championships, having an elite playmaking mismatch in Simmons in the front court helps him do that. Irving showed how deadly he was sharing an offense with LeBron on his way to a championship. The Warriors are where they are today because they first had Green to compliment Curry’s dominance as a scorer. 

The more mismatches and playmakers a team has, the better. Hayward as the #3 option and Horford as the #4 behind Irving and Simmons is a championship caliber foundation. More size, athleticism, rebounding, defense, passing and mismatches. No chance the Celtics are better with a less impactful player in Tatum. 

That is debatable however it what is not debatable is Irving willing to share the ball whether for good or not

On 1/18/2018 at 7:43 AM, tonyto36 said:

Tatum has been amazing.   If he were on the Kings or the typical top 3 team, I imagine he'd be averaging ~24PPG, 8RPG, 3APG.  

LOLOL. Yeah, Celtics are holding him back. Averaging just over 13ppg in 31 min but if he traded places with Kuzma, he would average 24 PPG

48 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

LOLOL. Yeah, Celtics are holding him back. Averaging just over 13ppg in 31 min but if he traded places with Kuzma, he would average 24 PPG

Lakers might be the exception since basically everyone on the team is playing for a contract next year or worried about being traded.

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Simmons can definitely play off the ball. He would be able to post in that lineup if they go four out.

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Simmons can definitely play off the ball. He would be able to post in that lineup if they go four out.

Yes Simmons can post up but to think that he would be more effective off the ball and in the post versus dominating the top is my whole argument. Simmons is most effective with the ball in his hands near the top of the key same for Irving. It is two good pieces that just don't fit as good together

2 hours ago, 49er pride said:
On 1/18/2018 at 9:43 AM, tonyto36 said:

Tatum has been amazing.   If he were on the Kings or the typical top 3 team, I imagine he'd be averaging ~24PPG, 8RPG, 3APG.  

24, 8, and 3...oh my God.

You know what I find hilarious and it has nothing to do with you guys, but for the last year while Ben was injured we heard a lot of "Ben Simmons isnt a point guard". Now its hes primarily a point guard argument lol

Ben Simmons finishes with a 19-17-14 line.

The complete list of players to do that in a game since 1963:

Wilt Chamberlain (10x) Russell Westbrook (3x) Oscar Robertson (2x) Magic Johnson (2x) Larry Bird (2x) James Harden Draymond Green Steve Francis

9 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

You know what I find hilarious and it has nothing to do with you guys, but for the last year while Ben was injured we heard a lot of "Ben Simmons isnt a point guard". Now its hes primarily a point guard argument lol

No LeBron James on that list so I guess he's better than LeBron haha

Archived