Draft Day 2 Thread: Discussion and Thoughts

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I know he tested poorly but if Brevin Jordan isn’t the pick at 106, I’ll be surprised. 

You'd definitely think so.

The quote from Urban regarding a trade makes me think we may just go that route though. With JOS and Manhertz on the roster idk if we go much more deep than that.

Lot of cap space to take on a contract, probably too many picks left, etc. 

• Like 1

All in all, pretty successful day 2 imo.

Campbell was my top corner available. Not sure I loved the value based on who was still available though. On my board he was more in that 45-50 range. He's also a guy I've viewed as desperately needing a good coaching staff to truly unlock him. I hope ours is everything we hope it is. Probably my least favorite pick so far.

I loved the Walker Little pick. I think besides our lord and savior that pick may be my favorite of the draft. He has all the makings of a franchise LT (maybe even RT if need be) and to get a talent that, had there been a season last year likely wouldve been a top 10-15 pick, is just crazy good value. Didn't really forsee us looking at him but I probably should've given our OT situation. Again, there's risk, but the upside is worth it at that spot imo.

As I talked about in our mocks, Cisco was my last legit starting caliber safety in the draft. As with Little, had he played a full season this year he very well could've been right up there with the rest of them. We desperately need more ballhawking/playmaking ability on defense and he provides that to a tee and probably more so than any of the safety prospects in the draft.

Overall, I think today’s picks were decent. Not gonna A+ them or anything, but there’s a lot of upside with them, and it seems like they actually have a plan in place and are collecting players that would fit that plan.

There’s some big questions with recovery and durability for Little and Cisco, but if they come back 100% and don’t have future injuries, they’re potentially first round talents. Campbell needs to get better when the ball is in the air, but he has some traits that he can build on to be a really good player.

Player development, the strength and conditioning staff, and the medical staff are going to play a big role in just how successful these guys end up. I wouldn’t be shocked even in the slightest if any of them washed out due to injury/lack of development. Also wouldn’t be shocked if any of them became a cornerstone for the team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do we have any need for JOK in our new defense? 

Probably not really a "need"...but i feel like a player like that, you find a role for.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

JOKs a jack of all trades. I would think Cullen would figure something out.

But we don't seem to be interested unfortunately.

Yeah.  I would've liked to see him used here.  Seemed like there would've been some really interesting ways to integrate him, even if it was just as a bit of "chess piece".  But we were hardly the only team that didn't seem nearly as interested in him as they should.

I'm really just waiting for something to come out medically/legally/otherwise off the field flag that we didn't hear about.  'Cause if his bigggggg slide was really just all about teams not seeing a "fit" for him, that seems like overthinking it to me.  A player who can make those kind of impact plays, moves around with that kind of range and hits that solidly...cannot be a total "non-fit" in that many different nuanced defenses.  NFL teams can be weird about that kind of thing sometimes...but for that many teams to pass on him multiple times?  Idk...just weird.

Pretty satisfied with day 2. The glaring omission thus far is, of course, TE, but I guess I'll just have to trust the process on that one.....surely our plan is not to go into the season with Tebow as our TE1

Bring on Jordan or Yeboah and as always, bless the knees

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, they signed like 4 DL in FA. I never expected DL after that. When you pair that with the fact they've said they love our OL...

Yeah.  Not surprised they didn't bother with DLine through two days.  Thought a Rush LBer or even a bit of a "tweener" who can reduce down inside on later downs could've been a target.  But in terms of DTs especially, this class looks absolutely pathetic.

Definitely seems like they staffed up with stopgap/filler vets to try to avoid any pressure to even go there in this draft class (early at least).  Which is fair.

5 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I still want Pat F at the top of the 3rd. My #3 TE Tommy Tremble would be a good backup option in the 3rd or 4th though especially given our emphasis on athleticism.

I can kinda see why they didn't bother really swinging for a TE today too.  This whole class outside of Pitts, is just full of guys who seem like "just a guy" types who could potentially develop into a decent TE2/3 at some point.

There's nothing deeply wrong with Pat F or Tremble per se...there's just also not a lot to really get that excited about imo.

That, along with DLine really feel like big soft spots in the upper end of this draft.  And philosophically, i'm all for not trying to mine a "weak spot" in the draft.  It's not really smart value.

Kinda get the impression we're going to see a lot more spread stuff, and not much real TE emphasis...for this year at least.  In terms of receiving.  More...TEs are extra blockers stuff.  Which is...whatever.  There are multiple ways to get things done...and if the stud TE isn't there, you can't materialize them out of thin air and wanting it real bad.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This explains that. Same happened with Campbell fwiw.

Yeah.  This feels like it was kind of inevitable, with a coach coming from the college ranks...that his approach would end up influenced by that kind of stuff.  Players he wanted to work with previously, top recruits he missed out on, etc.

5 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I just think most high picks will tend to be guys who were highly recruited and that there's just a microscope on our picks so far because of who Urban Meyer is. Given he seems to put an emphasis on athleticism, it makes sense a lot of these guys were also highly touted recruits.

This is also true.  That's inherently going to be a bit of "confirmation bias" in the sense that...a lot of guys who go earlier in the draft were former high tier recruits.  And Urban being who he is, was obviously in on an awful lot of them at the time...because that's one of the big things that made him successful as a recruiting coach who could stock his program with superior athletes.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Urban just talked about how difficult it was for him to take guys who haven't played in a bit in Cisco and Walker Little. Said he has such great connections (good friends with Shaw at Stanford) that it eased his concerns.

This too, was i think pretty well expected from Urban.  He's obviously going to lean on his personal connections.  That's fundamentally who he is, and what's made him successful as a coach previously.  And it's what he knows, where he has those connections at the college level he truly trusts.  The NFL world is...more foreign to him still, and there's really not much else to reach out for there, in the context of the draft anyway.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We were also warned about this explicitly by Niners fans.  lol.  We were told in no uncertain terms, that Baalke was going to hand-waive off a bunch of medical concerns and draft the guys with lots of confidence.  So...for better or worse, this seems, as expected.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

You'd definitely think so.

The quote from Urban regarding a trade makes me think we may just go that route though. With JOS and Manhertz on the roster idk if we go much more deep than that.

Lot of cap space to take on a contract, probably too many picks left, etc. 

The point about how "deep" we want to go, is really the key here i think.  And definitely seems like it'd make a trade more likely.  Especially with Day 2 all wrapped up now, and no TE added (besides Timothy).

Like...Manhurter seems as though he was targeted specifically to make an impact as a blocker, and should be plenty capable of that.  JOS is really nothing special, but he's a plenty serviceable depth TE2/3 type.  It's really just the rung above JOS as a real TE1 that's glaringly bereft of a suitable talent.  And outside of Pitts and maybe Freiermuth...it's hard to see anyone else in the draft doing anything about that, other than clogging up the TE2/3/4 sort of range.  At least, not without a lot of develop work and time.

So if you're going to actually address that TE1 spot...it's pretty much gotta come from a trade or some other creative thinking.

I think the whole "Urban being incredulous that he can't just go out and get Pitts" thing is pretty illustrative of the adjustment he's going to have to make.  In the NFL, he's not going to be able to just suck in all the top talent he wants like a magnet.  He's gotta work within the bounds of the NFL draft system and salary cap, which distribute talent a lot more "equitably".  Gonna have to decide what's really most important to him, and come up with creative and alternative ways to fill other roles or work around them.

The only way you're getting a whole slate of top tier recruits with the NFL draft...is if you're willing to take a bunch of risks on injuries, character flags, trying to "coach up" highly regarded athletes who never really progressed as football players in college, etc.

More time i have to digest our picks, the more I like what we're doing.  Secondary was a real concern,  but now looks ok and we have some depth.  Pair that with what we did on the dline in free agency and this defense is actually starting to look like a middle of the pack D, which would be a huge improvement. I also really like the Little pick...can never have enough big uglies.

- charles 

Edited by Charles
Grammar fix
  • Like 2