NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

If Harbaugh brings his hard-nosed “football guy” approach and mentality to the Chargers, but kept Kellen Moore, who’s a good designer of passing concepts, as his OC, the Chargers could be very good. 

But if he just does the typical thing of hiring Greg Roman, and bringing the band back together, I don’t think it’s going to be very successful. 

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Did Harbaugh coach Luck at Stanford? 

2009-10.  But, in 2009, he also had Toby Gerhart and relied on him a lot. Luck did pass for over 3300 yds in '10 though, which was 16th in CFB..behind Russell Wilson and RGIII, most notably...and recent Chargers OC Kellen Moore.   

10 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Exceptions don't really make the point you want.

Also, the niners pass a lot, and have one of the best RBs in the game. The Ravens are run first because their QB is a runner. 

We'll see. I have doubts he'll be all that successful. It certainly helps to have a legit QB, which is at least as important as the coach. 

The Ravens were run-first before Lamar even got there.  Flacco could pass, but they were still run-first. 

It's very interesting that Baltimore, San Francisco, and Detroit are in the top 5 rushing offenses in the NFL for 2023.  KC is in the top 5 rushing for the playoffs along with the other 4.  I wonder what their success will mean for those offenses that live and die by being a pass first offense?  The Vikings were 28th in rushing for 2023.  Except of Tampa Bay (who was dead last in rushing) none of the bottom 9 teams in the league made the  playoffs.

Teams that lose tend to have higher passing numbers because they are losing and need to play catch up. 

Teams that win tend to have higher rushing numbers because running allows them to control the clock at the end of games. 

If you watch Baltimore, San Francisco, and Detroit you’re going to see three teams that attack with the passing game to build leads, and then use the run to control the end of the game. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If you watch Baltimore, San Francisco, and Detroit you’re going to see three teams that attack with the passing game to build leads, and then use the run to control the end of the game. 

And how many times this season alone were the Vikings unable to do that last thing?  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And how many times this season alone were the Vikings unable to do that last thing?  😉

I partly blame the defense, those teams have much better defense. The Vikings couldn't run the ball for multiple reasons, turns out having the greatest run blocking tight end of all time isn't all that helpful if your line isn't great at run blocking and you spend most of the year with a below average RB. 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I partly blame the defense, those teams have much better defense. The Vikings couldn't run the ball for multiple reasons, turns out having the greatest run blocking tight end of all time isn't all that helpful if your line isn't great at run blocking and you spend most of the year with a below average RB. 

The Vikings need a new run game coordinator/offensive line coach.  There's not an offensive lineman in the league who will tell you they would rather pass protect than run block.  

An effective run game helps the pass game be more effective and is the best friend to the defense...undeniable fact...football 101.  It's true in pee wee all the way up to the pros.  I love O'Connell, but he is the worst play caller in the league as far as the running attack is concerned. Granted a lack of talent doesn't inspire confidence...but, he doesn't seem to be particularly interested in the running game which means the Vikings will continue to play one score games, and the will be on the wrong end of time of possession, and a very tired defense in the 4th quarter.