2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Absolutely agree here. I have the benefit right now of not seeing reports of Pro Days, etc... and the draft hasn't started (nor has FA which might change the draft calculus). So right now, I'm content with sitting tight at #11. But yeah, if there's a sudden mad rush for teams for the top slots to get a QB? I might change my tune. 

For me it's always been if you REALLY like and want the guy and think he's the next franchise QB, then go get him. 

But you'd better be right.

If they decide Willis is the guy and they move up to get him they better do this right. Do not force him out onto the field and have a reliable veteran in front of him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Trubisky is going to suck. The idea that he’s somehow going to become great is just silly. It almost never happens. Tannehill is an anomaly.

I do not doubt this. We do not have the staff that makes a juggernaut out of a foot soldier. Also, Tannehill is quickly falling out of favor in Tennessee. 

We are all in agreement that the stop gaps have to be done. We as fans will just have to live with the price that is paid however we get there. 

And of course keep a back-up QB handy so we can clamor for the back up to get snaps. ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they decide Willis is the guy and they move up to get him they better do this right. Do not force him out onto the field and have a reliable veteran in front of him. 

I'd actually trust Willis out of the gate. I don't trust Turner to design an offense around him, but I think Willis is definitely cerebral enough to handle the pressures of being an NFL QB. (The same can be said for Howell and Corral IMO too)

• Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I'd actually trust Willis out of the gate. I don't trust Turner to design an offense around him, but I think Willis is definitely cerebral enough to handle the pressures of being an NFL QB. (The same can be said for Howell and Corral IMO too)

I think Willis is a brilliant kid. I think Hugh Freeze offense just didn’t set him up to be successful immediately. I believe he’s further along than Lance but Lance was far more physically gifted. I guess I’m of the opinion he will be gone by 11 and what it will cost to get him simply doesn’t make sense. If we’re talking a Trey Lance package then I am out. There is no way on earth you could convince me to give up multiple firsts to move up for a QB this year. Will they? Most likely because they’ve totally backed themselves into a corner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think Willis is a brilliant kid. I think Hugh Freeze offense just didn’t set him up to be successful immediately. I believe he’s further along than Lance but Lance was far more physically gifted. I guess I’m of the opinion he will be gone by 11 and what it will cost to get him simply doesn’t make sense. If we’re talking a Trey Lance package then I am out. There is no way on earth you could convince me to give up multiple firsts to move up for a QB this year. Will they? Most likely because they’ve totally backed themselves into a corner. 

I think you guys are working yourselves up for a guy who isn't even as good as Johnny Manzell.

Now we are to mortgage the farm to move up to get him????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

matthew bingo GIF

Do not do what we did with RG3 in 2012… oh wait…

If Scotty T gets creative & changes our   offense like he should’ve w/ Heinicke last year to use some RPO or read option like Newton in 2011/12, RG3/Russ & Kap in 2012-2013 & Lamar Jackson & Jalen Hurts currently.

If we ran that offense w/ Willis even as a rookie he would be successful & throw for 3000 yds or more & rush for 500 yards or more & combine for 25-30 TDs.

If we do run a zone read/RPO offense though Willis has to protect himself, he has to slide & run out of bounds. He can’t play hero ball like RG3 in 2012 where he took on DEs, linebackers & safeties when he scrambled or kept it on the read option. 

Edited by turtle28

53 minutes ago, MacDog said:

I think you guys are working yourselves up for a guy who isn't even as good as Johnny Manzell.

Now we are to mortgage the farm to move up to get him????

Willis is more talented physically than Manziel. He also has a better mental make up, he’s more mature & he’s a a harder worker than Manziel was. Manziel was/is an arrogant *rick, he didn’t work for anything in life, it was handed to him by his parents & he was physically gifted at football and didn’t think he’d have to work hard in the NFL to improve, kind of like RG3 & Haskins.

Willis has a better make up as a young man & has a better skill set to be forged into an NFL starter.

Sadly there’s so much talent in the draft and we’re here going to miss out because we’re starving for one position. We don’t have a vision because a coach is running the show and it is more then likely going to cost us and set us back unless they make the absolute right move at QB. Like this decision is essentially Ron’s job unless the loaded up and show improvement and collect assets for the future so you see a vision for the future.

20 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

You think Willis is less talented than either Jones or Fields? 

You would trade up for them last year, why the big change in philosophy?

I still stand by my opinion that outside of Lawrence last year there wasnt anything special. This year, I think Willis will have the biggest wow factor, but he isnt the "most talented" of the bunch. 

If you remove Trevor Lawrence from the draft class last year, I'd argue it's worse than this years. 

It is so hard to judge Willis in this context because he played at such a low level compared to Jones or Fields or Lawrence.

He has the traits, but he played a very simple offense and still looked lost at times.  Fields is a similar comp in that he also had all the tools and right attitude and played a limited college offense but fields is bigger and played in a much more competitive college football program.

I also think Willis doesn't get away with half the stuff that made him look special in college.  And he might be an athlete, but he isn't close lamar jackson in terms of agility in speed.  

Willis might turn into it, but it is a complete gamble.  Right now it looks like trading up for Fields would have been a mistake, so wouldn't trading up for Willis be an even bigger mistake?

• Like 1

That's an avg. of 26 tds a season

9 int's a season

3600+ passing yards a season

400 rushing yards a season

4+ rushing tds a season

Those are playoffs seasons, gentleman.

You get Watson, it's not a matter of IF you make the Playoffs?

It's a matter of how far will you go.

15 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Get'r done.

2022 #11 pick, 2nd Rd pick, 3rd pick (this draft sucks)

2023 1st Rd pick & 2nd Rd pick (we'll be picking in the 20's anyway)

2024 1st Rd pick (same as 2023)

DT Deron Payne (we got Tim Settles & Ionitus)

RB Antonio Gibson (fumbles too much)

That would be my opening offer...

So, I can tell you that Malik Willis is not the answer and I pray that Seattle grabs him. His combine and the NFL QB draft hype machine is pushing him higher than he should be. I don't see top 10 player. 

Marginal Senior Bowl. Minimal competition. Still didnt dominate the conference. 

I hope if they go the draft route that its either Corral at 11 or Strong in the 2nd.