2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I consider not bringing back guys you would like to re-sign part of the purge.

Probably the hang-up here. If they're already not rostered for 2022 they can't be "purged" IMO. Every season roster turnover is what, like 60%? 

A "purge" (based on the spirit of its usage) implies active decisions to remove players from the roster. Passively not re-signing someone is not purging - as it is extremely common by every team, every year.

50 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm so sick of this "purge" crap I could vomit. We lose quality starters and role players every year due to contracts(Bulaga, Linsley, etc.), but we never look at it as a purge so why view it as one now? Also, what part of "it wasn't about the money" did we forget when Rodgers came back. Rodgers probably couldn't care less about the money given endorsements and his last contract. He's stated time and again that he cares more about being the face of the organization, chief recruiter, and have a say in personnel decisions; pretty sure that's more important than the money at this point for him. 

With all that said, we also keep forgetting that we will have a better clue as to where salary cap numbers may be mid-season vs. the beginning of the season. I suspect New Orleans will go through something similar as time passes by. At this specific point in time and for the sake of debate, I think we only lose Cobb at the end of the season and I bet he'll retire and maybe even join the coaching staff if we win a Super Bowl. MVS is out the door and is essentially replaced by a draft pick the following year. Given the fact that we have a lot of space in 2023, bigger salaries will most likely be deferred to that particular year with minimal hit the first year.

"He's stated time and again that he cares more about being the face of the organization, chief recruiter, and have a say in personnel decisions; pretty sure that's more important than the money at this point for him. "

Well then if true we should have no problem extending him.  You believe he will indeed give the Packers a super team friendly deal?   I don't.  No matter what they say, it normally begins and ends with money.  We will find out soon after the season.  Adams wants to do better than Hopkins did.  He may be worth it, but that certainly is not team friendly.

One of the Smith's will be gone next year and possibly both.  Either Tonyan or Adams gone, possibly both.  Cobb a lock to be cut and he won't be alone.  Then again, who knows.  I expected Atlanta to fully blow it up this year and they didn't 

Regurgitating an old thread, some figures might have changed a little on Rodgers deal, anyway here is why we are not in cap hell and why there won't be a roster purge etc. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/37172-why-we-are-not-screwed-with-the-cap-in-2022-and-beyond/

The main decision is what to do with Rodgers and with the cap space can we manipulate it enough to extend Adams, MVS and Bobby?

Obvious moves

Move 1: Cut Preston Smith = $12m relief
Move 2: Cut Cobb = $8.25m relief
Move 3: Extend Jaire = Currently on $13m hit and extension will bring that figure down to about $7m = relief of $6m

Adjust contracts

Move 4: Convert $8m Kenny base salary and convert it into a signing bonus = $4.7m cap relief
Move 5: Bakh has a $10m roster bonus, convert that into a signing bonus = $6.6m cap relief

Through these moves we have created $37.55m

Extensions

Move 6: Extend Z, his contract is at $28m, you could create $16m by releasing him but he’ll be 29 in 2022 and worth an extension. Not sure what that deal would look like but I’m sure it will create space
Move 7: Amos would be entering the final year of his deal in 2022, he’ll be 29 again ripe for an extension, cap hit of almost $12m, we gain $8m by releasing him but extending him would create space

Main move

In 2022, before all this hoohah, we already had to either cut or extend Rodgers, his cap hit would have been $40m, dead cap is $17m.  Trading him looks quite likely at this stage. Not sure what the reworked deal would be but assuming his roster bonus of $6.8m becomes a signing bonus would be the easiest move and then maybe taking another few million from his base salary of $14.7m this year into a signing bonus. In total probably pushes another $6m into next year making the cost of a trade in 2022 $23m in dead cap but creating $17m in space.

In summary

Simple moves get you $34m
Trading Rodgers another $17m  
Extensions to Z and Amons probably another $15m (maybe more or less)
We create $66m in cap space

$40m to get us under the cap
$8m to sign rookies and get the roster up to 51 and some rollover
$18m is there to sign FA’s and Adams if we want to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Probably the hang-up here. If they're already not rostered for 2022 they can't be "purged" IMO. Every season roster turnover is what, like 60%? 

A "purge" (based on the spirit of its usage) implies active decisions to remove players from the roster. Passively not re-signing someone is not purging - as it is extremely common by every team, every year.

More like 25-30%, some teams may get to 35% and on an very rare occasion a team could change over 40%. I don't think there has been a team in the last 20 years that has changed 32 players on their 53 man roster from opening day to opening day. 

That, IMO would be unheard of, even if rebuilding. 

Could you provide an example or two?