2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

Dave's official roster prediction after the 3rd preseason game*                         

*will probably be edited after the

roster comes out so I am correct.

Offense: (22)

QB - Jordan Love, Aaron Rodgers

RB - AJ Dillon, Kylin Hill, Aaron Jones

WR - Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Amari Rodgers, Malik Taylor, Marquez Valdes-Scantling

TE/FB - Dominique Dafney, Josiah Deguara, Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan

OL - Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Yosh Nijman, Lucas Patrick, John Runyan, Billy Turner [David Bakhtiari]

Defense: (19)

DL - Kenny Clark, Kingsley Keke, Dean Lowry, TJ Slaton

OLB - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith

ILB - Krys Barnes, Oren Burks, De'Vondre Campbell

CB - Jaire Alexander, Shemar Jean-Charles, Kevin King, Eric Stokes, Chandon Sullivan

S -  Adrian Amos, Henry Black, Darnell Savage, Vernon Scott

Special Teams:  (3)

Mason Crosby, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dumb

That gives me 44, so I get 9 players to add from the roster.  Obviously, I will need some more special teams bodies and some OLB help, and probably a lineman.  I think Bakhtiari will be on PUP.

Last 9:  Jonathan Garvin OLB, Tyler Lancaster DL, Dennis Kelly OL, Ty Summers ILB, Isiah McDuffie ILB, Cole VanLanen OL, Isaac Yaidom CB, Jack Heflin DL, Chauncey Rivers OLB.

I like a lot of the defensive backs that we have in camp.  I don't think we will lose more than a couple of them, and I am not sure that any of them have separated themselves enough from the others to worry about it.  I kept Rivers because I think they can get some Randy Ramsey type stuff from him.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 2

PackersWire - Both Kabion Ento and Isaac Yiadom had issues covering Gabriel Davis to start the contest on Saturday. Yiadom got beat on two third-down opportunities on the opening drive, and Ento gave up a big play with poor coverage and a missed tackle to start the second. Each player missed an opportunity to take a major step towards making the roster as the No. 6 corner. It would still be a surprise if the Packers didn’t keep six cornerbacks, especially considering the special teams impact, but neither Ento nor Yiadom made the decision any easier. Stephen Denmark, who was signed this week, looked like the best cornerback on the field for the Packers on Saturday.

Lucas Patrick and Royce Newman were the starting guards. They could easily be the starting combo on Sept. 12 in New Orleans. Patrick’s stock should rise because he’s probably the team’s best option as a backup center. Jake Hanson had major issues there on Saturday. Ben Braden started at right tackle and held his own for the second straight week. He could push veteran Dennis Kelly off of the team. Left tackle Yosh Nijman probably had his shakiest performance of the preseason. He gave up a pressure on Love that nearly resulted in an interception. Rookie Cole Van Lanen played a lot of snaps at left guard and was up and down. The offensive line will be an interesting puzzle for general manager Brian Gutekunst to put together on Tuesday.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

CHTV -  It was not pretty, but the offensive line generally got a pretty good push.  The Packers averaged 4.2 yards per carry.  Many of the best runs seemed to go right up the gut.  Hill had a few of those types of carries.  Dillon averaged 2.6 yards per carry.  According to Pro Football Focus, Dillon gained just 5 yards before contact on his seven carries.  He had a nice jump cut and managed to fall forward despite generally poor blocking for him.  Newman had a nice game.  After reviewing some highlights, Hanson was not as bad as my first impression, but snapping the ball is a priority.  The Packers allowed seven quarterback hits and two sacks.  Runyan, Nijman, Braden, and Van Lanen were all beaten quickly at one point or another.  Patrick Taylor caught a pass and ran hard trying to pick up the 16 yards needed for a first down, but despite an excellent effort fell a yard short.  Still, he really battled for it.  

Malik Taylor finally persuaded me that he should make this roster.  He ran an NFL route against Tre'Davious White, got his feet in bounds on another reception and made a nice adjustment on a third pass.  Begelton did some good things, some on slants and in the middle, but I think it only earned him a practice squad position.  Amari Rodgers caught 6 passes on 7 targets for 41 yards with a long of 11 yards.  He has some burst but I do not really see what made him a third round pick.

Sternberger did nothing to help his case.  He missed a reach block on the goal line (admittedly, not the easiest block to execute), and does not seem able or interested in being an in-line blocking tight end.  Dafney and Deguara look like nice chess pieces.  I saw Kaufusi execute a few blocks but not enough to make the 53.  I think the Packers will try to sign him to the practice squad as the backup to Marcedes Lewis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

PackersWire - Both Kabion Ento and Isaac Yiadom had issues covering Gabriel Davis to start the contest on Saturday. Yiadom got beat on two third-down opportunities on the opening drive, and Ento gave up a big play with poor coverage and a missed tackle to start the second. Each player missed an opportunity to take a major step towards making the roster as the No. 6 corner. It would still be a surprise if the Packers didn’t keep six cornerbacks, especially considering the special teams impact, but neither Ento nor Yiadom made the decision any easier. Stephen Denmark, who was signed this week, looked like the best cornerback on the field for the Packers on Saturday.

Lucas Patrick and Royce Newman were the starting guards. They could easily be the starting combo on Sept. 12 in New Orleans. Patrick’s stock should rise because he’s probably the team’s best option as a backup center. Jake Hanson had major issues there on Saturday. Ben Braden started at right tackle and held his own for the second straight week. He could push veteran Dennis Kelly off of the team. Left tackle Yosh Nijman probably had his shakiest performance of the preseason. He gave up a pressure on Love that nearly resulted in an interception. Rookie Cole Van Lanen played a lot of snaps at left guard and was up and down. The offensive line will be an interesting puzzle for general manager Brian Gutekunst to put together on Tuesday.

Denmark looked intriguing. Good size and he looked comfortable out there. Ento needs to learn how to tackle and Yiadom needs to learn how to cover. I wonder if Gute will take a chance on keeping Denmark on the 53 with Ento and/or Yiadom going to PS?

Gaines tackling was also problematic. I was not impressed. Uphof needs time on the PS. I think Black and Scott have the backup safety positions locked up. 

Edited by Mr. Fussnputz
spelling
  • Like 1

I've seen enough of Yiadom and Ento to make me think having either on the field during real games would be a serious problem.  I've seen enough of Denmark to make me think MAYBE he's a step above those two.  Assuming one of those three makes the 53, I'm hoping it's Denmark.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Post Preseason Game 3 Roster Prediction: 

After watching game 3, I think the roster is pretty locked in on the offensive side of the ball. IMO, it's fairly simple: 

Offense: 24

QB (2): Rodgers, Love

RB (3): Jones, Dillon, Hill

WR (6): Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Taylor

TE (4): Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Dafney

OL (9): Jenkins, Patrick, Myers, Newman, Turner, Runyan, Kelly, Braden, Nijman 

**Sternberger suspended and Bakh on PUP or IR after initial 53

On defense, I think it's still unclear on the back-end of every position: 

Defense: 26

DL (5): Clark, Keke, Lowry, Slaton, (Lancaster or Heflin)

EDGE (4-5): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, (Garvin or Rivers or both)

ILB (5): Campbell, Barnes, Burks, Summers, (McDuffie or Wilborn)

CB (6-7): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, SJC, (Yiadom or Ento or both)

S (5): Amos, Savage, Scott, Black, (Gaines or Uphoff)

Specials (3): Crosby, Scott, Bradley

I don’t disagree. I think Garvin is close to a lock and we might go outside for 5 (same with ILB 5)

Of the rest I’d go Gaines, Yiadom, Heflin. 

30 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

He's never going to be great. Heck, he's going to be a guy who is on the bubble every year. Assuming he makes the final 53, he's a guy you are looking to upgrade from.

But, all he does it make plays. It ain't pretty but football ain't pretty either.

QB: Rodgers || Love (2) (2)

RB: Jones || Dillon || Hill (3) (5)

TE: Tonyan || Lewis || Deguara || Dafney (4) (9)

WR: Adams || MVS || Lazard || Cobb || Rodgers || Taylor (6) (15)

OL: Jenkins || Newman || Myers || Patrick || Turner || Nijman || Kelly || Runyan || Braden (9) (24)

DL: Clark || Keke || Lowry || Slaton || Heflin (5) (5)

EDGE: Smith || Gary || Smith || Garvin (4) (9)

LB: Barnes || Campbell || Burks || Summers || Wilborn || McDuffie (6) (15)

DB: Jaire || King || Stokes || Amos || Savage || Sullivan || Scott || Black || SJC || Ento || Yiadom (11) (26)

I think we go light on EDGE and heavy on ILB and DB due to ST value at back of roster. Wilborn, Ento, Yiadom and McDuffie bring more value there than the remaining edge guys. But could see Rivers sticking over one of Ento or Yiadom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

He's never going to be great. Heck, he's going to be a guy who is on the bubble every year. Assuming he makes the final 53, he's a guy you are looking to upgrade from.

But, all he does it make plays. It ain't pretty but football ain't pretty either.

Lot of us were pretty upset with our run defense last year and stocked when we signed Snacks. I think Heflin can be a pretty descent run stopper. Not a star but def a contributor. 

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Lot of us were pretty upset with our run defense last year and stocked when we signed Snacks. I think Heflin can be a pretty descent run stopper. Not a star but def a contributor. 

I wouldn't undersell Heflin. I know it's preseason, but he's a UDFA that just put up a pace for like 48 pressures and 32 QB hits over a season. That is Aaron Donald level production. 

He's not that level of athlete, but unless he's succeeding on like one or two moves or something that starters can easily shut down, he's going to be a good find.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I wouldn't undersell Heflin. I know it's preseason, but he's a UDFA that just put up a pace for like 48 pressures and 32 QB hits over a season. That is Aaron Donald level production. 

He's not that level of athlete, but unless he's succeeding on like one or two moves or something that starters can easily shut down, he's going to be a good find.

That would be really nice. Did he show anything at Iowa? 

I personally think Slaton is someone we’re gonna get more pressures than expected. I’ve been incredibly impressed by him and think he’s going to be a lot better on a pitch count.