2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

That would be really nice. Did he show anything at Iowa? 

I personally think Slaton is someone we’re gonna get more pressures than expected. I’ve been incredibly impressed by him and think he’s going to be a lot better on a pitch count. 

He was only at Iowa for one season I believe. Transfer from Northern Illinois. I feel better about this group after seeing Slaton and Heflin get after it this preseason. Might have something there.

About "Trash Can"......

PackersWire - Lovingly called a “trash can full of dirt” by one anonymous scout before the draft, Heflin – an undrafted rookie from Iowa – showed up in all three preseason games for the Packers defensive line. He lived up to the scout’s description against the run, proving to be dense and hard to move at the point of attack. He was also full of energy chasing down run plays and screens. And most importantly, he flashed pass-rushing potential. Heflin led the Packers with six total pressures and four quarterback hits, per PFF. He made a strong case to be on the 53-man roster.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

PackersWire -   Everything is starting to click for Nijman to begin Year 3 in Green Bay. He played 138 snaps at left tackle and 19 more at right tackle over the three preseason games. Despite giving up two big pressures (one created a strip-sack of Jordan Love vs. Houston, the other nearly created an interception vs. Buffalo), Nijman was solid on his 86 other pass-blocking snaps. And he received excellent grades from PFF for his work in the run game. Always big and athletic, Nijman looked so much more confident in his movements this summer. Do the Packers think he’s ready to be the swing tackle? Considering the dearth of talent at offensive tackle in the NFL, it’s exceedingly hard to see the Packers risking Nijman on waivers. He should make the 53.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

PackersWire -   Everything is starting to click for Nijman to begin Year 3 in Green Bay. He played 138 snaps at left tackle and 19 more at right tackle over the three preseason games. Despite giving up two big pressures (one created a strip-sack of Jordan Love vs. Houston, the other nearly created an interception vs. Buffalo), Nijman was solid on his 86 other pass-blocking snaps. And he received excellent grades from PFF for his work in the run game. Always big and athletic, Nijman looked so much more confident in his movements this summer. Do the Packers think he’s ready to be the swing tackle? Considering the dearth of talent at offensive tackle in the NFL, it’s exceedingly hard to see the Packers risking Nijman on waivers. He should make the 53.

The problem is that one play he lapses per game can cost you the game. I think he sticks, but don't really want him playing meaningful snaps on our QB's blind side. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The problem is that one play he lapses per game can cost you the game. I think he sticks, but don't really want him playing meaningful snaps on our QB's blind side. 

He's coming into year 3 and it appears some things are starting to click for him. Not sure what he's been up to till now - but dont recall him getting this much playing time - so perhaps the experience will round him into a better player. Good that he had to go against BUF's starting D yesterday....and he didnt get Love killed.

You cant get much a much cheaper OT. He's ERFA next season. He's good to have around in case of emergency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's coming into year 3 and it appears some things are starting to click for him. Not sure what he's been up to till now - but dont recall him getting this much playing time - so perhaps the experience will round him into a better player. Good that he had to go against BUF's starting D yesterday....and he didnt get Love killed.

You cant get much a much cheaper OT. He's ERFA next season. He's good to have around in case of emergency.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for getting rid of him. I'm just saying he's not ready for too many meaningful snaps at LT right now IMO. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He was only at Iowa for one season I believe. Transfer from Northern Illinois. I feel better about this group after seeing Slaton and Heflin get after it this preseason. Might have something there.

I’ve said that I think this D could be better/comparable to our 2010 defense . I think it will come down to health and Barry putting everyone in position to succeed . 

• Like 2

QB: Rodgers / Love [2/2]
Pretty much the easiest room to pick out.  I think the Packers are clearly a fan of Benkert, but I think he's clearly more PS candidate.

RB: Jones / Dillon / Hill [3/5]
Again, like QB that's a pretty easy room to project.  I think they have every desire to keep Patrick Taylor on the PS, but I don't think he gets an active roster spot.

TE: Tonyan / Lewis / Deguara / Dafney [4/9]
Really think this is where the first real decision is made, and it has to do with TE4.  And in the end, ST wins out.

WR: Adams / Lazard / MVS / Cobb / Rodgers / Taylor [6/15]
Again, this WR spot has sorted itself out since Devin Funchess went on the IR.  Malik Taylor's preseason play has shown that he's WR6.

OL: Jenkins / Runyan / Myers / Newman / Turner / Nijman / Kelly / Patrick / Braden [9/24]
This is where I think we're going to see one of the numbers where we see a roster crunch.  CVL gets the cut here, but he's an early PS candidate.

DL: Clark / Lowry / Slaton / Heflin / Keke / Lancaster [6/30]
At this point, I think Heflin has punched his ticket to the 53 man roster.  No other surprises here.

OLB: Smith / Smith / Gary / Garvin [4/34]
Pretty easy.  Do they carry OLB5?  Probably not.

ILB: Campbell / Barnes / Summers / Burks / McDuffie [5/39]
Feel like McDuffie's ST value and his play as of recent gives him the nod.

CB: Alexander / King / Stokes / Sullivan / SJC / Ento [6/45]
I really do think CB6 isn't on the roster already.

S: Amos / Savage / Scott / Black / Uphoff [5/50]
Uphoff gets the nod as S5 for ST value.

ST: Crosby / Scott / Bradley [3/53]

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

QB: Rodgers / Love [2/2]
Pretty much the easiest room to pick out.  I think the Packers are clearly a fan of Benkert, but I think he's clearly more PS candidate.

RB: Jones / Dillon / Hill [3/5]
Again, like QB that's a pretty easy room to project.  I think they have every desire to keep Patrick Taylor on the PS, but I don't think he gets an active roster spot.

TE: Tonyan / Lewis / Deguara / Dafney [4/9]
Really think this is where the first real decision is made, and it has to do with TE4.  And in the end, ST wins out.

WR: Adams / Lazard / MVS / Cobb / Rodgers / Taylor [6/15]
Again, this WR spot has sorted itself out since Devin Funchess went on the IR.  Malik Taylor's preseason play has shown that he's WR6.

OL: Jenkins / Runyan / Myers / Newman / Turner / Nijman / Kelly / Patrick / Braden [9/24]
This is where I think we're going to see one of the numbers where we see a roster crunch.  CVL gets the cut here, but he's an early PS candidate.

DL: Clark / Lowry / Slaton / Heflin / Keke / Lancaster [6/30]
At this point, I think Heflin has punched his ticket to the 53 man roster.  No other surprises here.

OLB: Smith / Smith / Gary / Garvin [4/34]
Pretty easy.  Do they carry OLB5?  Probably not.

ILB: Campbell / Barnes / Summers / Burks / McDuffie [5/39]
Feel like McDuffie's ST value and his play as of recent gives him the nod.

CB: Alexander / King / Stokes / Sullivan / SJC / Ento [6/45]
I really do think CB6 isn't on the roster already.

S: Amos / Savage / Scott / Black / Uphoff [5/50]
Uphoff gets the nod as S5 for ST value.

ST: Crosby / Scott / Bradley [3/53]

I don't think there is anything to disagree with here. The only point is one of these 53 is going to have to make it through waivers because Bak is going to make the 53 and then perhaps be put on IR-return list. 

I'd guess Ento because he hasn't shown anything that would make you think another team would put in a claim for him. 

PackersWire -  Here’s our best attempt at predicting the players best suited for the Packers’ practice squad to start 2021:

QB Kurt Benkert
RB Dexter Williams: Patrick Taylor is also an option here if Williams isn’t interested in returning on the practice squad.
WR Reggie Begelton
WR Juwann Winfree
TE Bronson Kaufusi
OL Cole Van Lanen
OT Coy Cronk
OL Jacob Capra

DL Willington Previlon
DL Abdullah Anderson
LB Ray Wilborn
OLB Tipa Galeai
OLB Chauncey Rivers
CB Stephen Denmark
S Innis Gaines
S Christian Uphoff

1 hour ago, Leader said:

PackersWire -  Here’s our best attempt at predicting the players best suited for the Packers’ practice squad to start 2021:

QB Kurt Benkert
RB Dexter Williams: Patrick Taylor is also an option here if Williams isn’t interested in returning on the practice squad.
WR Reggie Begelton
WR Juwann Winfree
TE Bronson Kaufusi
OL Cole Van Lanen
OT Coy Cronk
OL Jacob Capra

DL Willington Previlon
DL Abdullah Anderson
LB Ray Wilborn
OLB Tipa Galeai
OLB Chauncey Rivers
CB Stephen Denmark
S Innis Gaines
S Christian Uphoff

I'm assuming that we can't carry this many on the PS. I also think Wilborn and Uphoff are making the team. Previlion should be cut and Chauncey Rivers should take that spot IMO.