2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

On 8/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, Chili said:

I think Newman performances might make the Packers feel comfortable going into the season as backup OT causing them to move from Kelly.

Perhaps drop Taylor from my lineup and I can make room for Kelly on the roster.

That's exactly what will happen...

4 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Enter Christian Uphoff methinks

Can he play that dimebacker role. ST's aside, I think that's where he earns his roster spot.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Gaines/Scott/Black battling for 2 spots. Uphoff might get PS invite after the odd man out of those 3 IMO

I could see them go 4 safeties now and keep 7 CBs. Keeps Ento and Yiadom on the team instead of choosing. Uphoff and Gaines both seem like PS guys to me. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They're carrying 5 safeties.  They've done it the first two years of LaFleur.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not even sure that Scott/Black haven't punched their ticket yet with Gaines being a good bet to make it as a Specials guy. 

Serious question, did we carry 5 safeties because of our lack of quality depth at CB or because the defense demands it with the amount of snaps safeties get? 

On 8/24/2021 at 8:05 PM, Joe said:

That's exactly what will happen...

Can he play that dimebacker role. ST's aside, I think that's where he earns his roster spot.

At 6-3, 209 he certainly has the size to play that position. He also returned kickoffs in college, although at that height he is taller than what Packers seem to prefer for kickoff returners. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

At 6-3, 209 he certainly has the size to play that position. He also returned kickoffs in college, although at that height he is taller than what Packers seem to prefer for kickoff returners. 

I'm thinking Stephen Denmark has been brought in to push him a bit.

This is probably one of the more obvious cutdown days coming up I can remember. Now that probably means that Gute blows that up and does some surprising things, but I see mostly locks or good chances with a few battles left. #3 RB is Hill's, Martin's departure means Summers is ILB #4. Redmond to IR makes Gaines the last S. 

-Do we keep 3 QBs? My answer would be, if you plan to work hard to renegotiate with Rodgers in the off-season, you let Benkert go. If you know he's out, you keep him as Love's future backup. He had a nice camp, get a lot of Matt Flynn vibes from him.

-Is Taylor or EQ WR #6? EQ is probably the better WR, Taylor has teams value and has had a good preseason. EQ needs to play tomorrow or this is going to be Taylor.

-Dafney or Sternberger? Neither has done a ton in camp, maybe we put Sternberger on a suspended list which helps him make the team?

-Nijman or CVL? The starting 5 are pretty obvious at this point, Runyan, Braden and Kelly are probably locks as backups. I lean pretty heavily to Nijman here and CVL we try to sneak on the PS.

-Tipa/Rivers/Garvin? Probably can only keep two. Rivers has had a real nice camp for a late arrival. This one is probably decided tomorrow, with ST being a tiebreaker.

-Yiadom/SJC/Ento? Again probably can only keep 2 of these 3. 

Outside of that, think all the battles are for the PS.

• Like 3

Maggie Loney -    I’m starting to wonder if Scott makes the initial 53 and immediately goes to IR. Would help clear up the safety battle and allow Scott to return later in the season when he’s healthy while letting the Packers keep a key STer like Uphoff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

-Nijman or CVL? The starting 5 are pretty obvious at this point, Runyan, Braden and Kelly are probably locks as backups. I lean pretty heavily to Nijman here and CVL we try to sneak on the PS.

I feel like I'm watching something very different from everyone on here.

I see Nijman as a stone-cold lock with potential to be week 1 starter at LT. He's not even remotely close to a camp battle at this point IMO.

I'd keep both of those guys. Our OT depth is shaky right now with Bakh out for at least the first quarter of the season and Kelly dinged up.

Just get a vibe that Nijman is just finally starting his career and that he will be playing in the NFL for a long time to come. I think we're lucky to have both these guys for depth and I wouldn't risk losing either one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I feel like I'm watching something very different from everyone on here.

I see Nijman as a stone-cold lock with potential to be week 1 starter at LT. He's not even remotely close to a camp battle at this point IMO.

I'd keep both of those guys. Our OT depth is shaky right now with Bakh out for at least the first quarter of the season and Kelly dinged up.

Just get a vibe that Nijman is just finally starting his career and that he will be playing in the NFL for a long time to come. I think we're lucky to have both these guys for depth and I wouldn't risk losing either one.

Agree about Nijman, unless he lays an egg in the last preseason game. I think Braden and Kelly are battling for the last OL spot, IMO one of them gets cut. 

1 minute ago, R T said:

Agree about Nijman, unless he lays an egg in the last preseason game. I think Braden and Kelly are battling for the last OL spot, IMO one of them gets cut. 

Braden has repped with the 1s most of camp and has repped both guards and RT spot. Think he's a depth lock.

Nijman I'm 95% sure makes the roster, he was a bit shaky vs Hou though and was partly responsible for Love's injury.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Maggie Loney -    I’m starting to wonder if Scott makes the initial 53 and immediately goes to IR. Would help clear up the safety battle and allow Scott to return later in the season when he’s healthy while letting the Packers keep a key STer like Uphoff.

That shouldn't be surprising at all and Scott would eventually replace someone else on ST's that's bound to go down with a nagging injury.

This is probably one of the more obvious cutdown days coming up I can remember. Now that probably means that Gute blows that up and does some surprising things, but I see mostly locks or good chances with a few battles left. #3 RB is Hill's, Martin's departure means Summers is ILB #4. Redmond to IR makes Gaines the last S. 

Agree on all fronts. ILB will once again be a secondary position of need next year and if the right candidate presents himself we could be selecting one Day 2 believe it or not.

-Is Taylor or EQ WR #6? EQ is probably the better WR, Taylor has teams value and has had a good preseason. EQ needs to play tomorrow or this is going to be Taylor.

I think this has been settled simply because Taylor has an ability that ESB usually doesn't: AVAILability. Since when have we noticed Taylor hurt? Also, have we questioned Taylor's love OF or dedication TO the game? ESB is the better WR no doubt, but Taylor's earned his spot as much as we hate to admit it.

-Dafney or Sternberger? Neither has done a ton in camp, maybe we put Sternberger on a suspended list which helps him make the team?

Sternberger will get cut unless he balls out tomorrow. Between injuries and poor performance, Sternberger has all but held the door for Dafney to walk on through. Expect Dafney to return to his previous role late last year and pick up where he left off IMHO.

-Tipa/Rivers/Garvin? Probably can only keep two. Rivers has had a real nice camp for a late arrival. This one is probably decided tomorrow, with ST being a tiebreaker.

Rivers is the odd man out and may land on the PS. If anything, he's made the coaches think twice about cutting him as he was essentially a camp body that took full advantage of his opportunity.

--

Also, I doubt CVL would get scooped up by another team despite his camp performance and I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly is the one who either gets cut or is the IR-designated-to-return entry. SJC gives us too much value at ST's for us to cut him but I still wouldn't be surprised if he found his way to the PS albeit temporarily. It really only matters how we feel about Ento at this point; is he ready? We know what we have with Yiadom.

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

Do we have to cut Jace with the suspension? I'm guessing he has to be on the 53 and then you make a move after, so we'd have to put a dude on waivers for him first, yeah?

I think he's a free stash for two weeks and to bring him to the 53 they they would have to cut someone loose, or let Sternberger walk. 

• Like 1