2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Van Lanen is a draft pick. That's the issue.

My question is has Kelly done enough to make the roster over a draft pick. Personally I don't think so.

We have experience in Patrick, whilst Jenkins is at LT he will give us cover at centre especially with rookie Myers.

They did give Kelly a guarantee in his signing bonus.

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

My question is has Kelly done enough to make the roster over a draft pick. Personally I don't think so.

We have experience in Patrick, whilst Jenkins is at LT he will give us cover at centre especially with rookie Myers.

Understood...and good point....but does Van Lanen give you a body to plug in at OT when Turner (or somebody) gets injuried?

Kelly definitely gives us that. He can hold down the fort and I cant judge him based on the 2-3 weeks (and one PS game) he's been with us. I'm considering his history - but again, I dont know if he sucks at pass blocking. He's been with TEN since 2016 and they're not known as a passing team. Maybe he's a bad fit for GB.

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood...and good point....but does Van Lanen give you a body to plug in at OT when Turner (or somebody) gets injuried?

Kelly definitely gives us that. He can hold down the fort and I cant judge him based on the 2-3 weeks (and one PS game) he's been with us. I'm considering his history - but again, I dont know if he sucks at pass blocking. He's been with TEN since 2016 and they're not known as a passing team. Maybe he's a bad fit for GB.

I think Newman performances might make the Packers feel comfortable going into the season as backup OT causing them to move from Kelly.

Perhaps drop Taylor from my lineup and I can make room for Kelly on the roster.

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think Newman performances might make the Packers feel comfortable going into the season as backup OT causing them to move from Kelly. Perhaps drop Taylor from my lineup and I can make room for Kelly on the roster.

Agree with this.....but I'd always considered Newman would need some time to take over at OT - and now -- given his interior success, the team might not be eager to move him.

I'm not saying Kelly's "all that" but his tape and history indicates he's about as "proven" a contributor as there is. The guy's gotta be doing something right to run up the number of snaps he has.

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

You have Sternberger on your 53. He does not count as long as he is suspended. 

14 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

You have Sternberger on your 53. He does not count as long as he is suspended. 

I completely forgot.

Edit: Conspiracy theory - We keep Kaufasi on the roster to keep Rodgers happy and then cut him once Sternberger's suspension ends.

Edited by Chili

37 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don't think that's an issue

• Rounds 1-3 are your (hopefully) future starters or at least key players
  • Rounds 4-5 are great for building depth in the roster 
  • Rounds 6-7 are just hope for the best

Be wary of cutting a guy in the first 5 rounds.  Beyond that, it doesn't really matter. If you get something out of your 6th and 7th rounders really its a bonus. They picked Van Lanen at the end of the 6th round, shouldn't have any qualms in chucking him in the practice squad if you have someone better.

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

Be wary of cutting a guy in the first 5 rounds.  Beyond that, it doesn't really matter.

Normally I would agree however there are 3 draft picks who are genuinely on the roster bubble, Jean-Charles, Van Lanen and McDuffie. The Packers are a draft and develop team and I just don't think Gute would cut all three. Two at the very most.

Last year Gute only cut 1 draft pick and would he make it 3 this year. I doubt it.

Gute has been making recent moves at corner and it seems all but certain Jean-Charles will make the roster.  That leaves Van Lanen and McDuffie.

It strongly appears we're going to have 4 ILB on the roster. Barnes. Campbell, Summers and Burks. I would be amazed if we keep a 5th. If McDuffie makes it then it means he is better ST player over the last FB or the last TE

There's also Uphoff who is a bit of a hybridy S/LB with really nice athleticism for ST and if Barry wants that type on the roster then McDuffie is almost certain to be cut.

Van Lanen is versatile enough to play all over as a backup, this versatility and his draft status surely locks him onto the roster. It's not like Hanson last year who only played one position, underwhelmed and got cut. Van Lanen circumstances is different and I don't think he will get cut. Don't forget the Packers invested alot of draft capital on the OL in recent years. They actively made it point to invest on the OL and that mindset suggests they will keep Van Lanen.