2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

Cameron Wolfe
 It is a torn ACL in right knee for Falcons backup QB AJ McCarron as the team feared last night. That will end his season and Atlanta is in the market for a new backup QB. Feleipe Franks is the only other backup QB on their roster.

wonder if there’s a third-string QB who played for them the last three years that knows an Arthur Smith-style offense. I say this for a reason: the Packers want to keep Kurt Benkert around. Is it worth waiving him on cutdown day & risking a team like the Falcons claiming him?

To me that seems a relevant but impossibe-for-me-to-evaluate question.  The Packers took him late 5th. 

If there are one or two handfuls of other teams who also ranked him as 5th-round caliber (or better), but just had somebody they liked even better.  Maybe a team had SJC as a 5th-round value, but somebody they rated as an early 4th-round value was available when they drafted ahead of the Packers in round 5, for example; or maybe somebody after them ranked him as 5th rounder, but the Packers had already snagged him.  One of those teams might well remember their solid draft evals, and be interested in grabbing him over their 53rd man.   

Or maybe the Packers were unique in giving him 5th-round score, and nobody else scored him higher than 7th/UDFA caliber.  Those teams may have no interest in releasing their 53rd man in order to grab SJC.  

Without knowing other teams' draft boards, we have know idea how likely having SJC getting claimed might be.  

Personally my guess is that he'd probably clear pretty easily, and that *IF* they waive him for PS intents, that they're unlikely to lose him.  But I'm totally just guessing.  It's possible that Gute might need to be kinda guessing too?

17 minutes ago, craig said:

To me that seems a relevant but impossibe-for-me-to-evaluate question.  The Packers took him late 5th. 

If there are one or two handfuls of other teams who also ranked him as 5th-round caliber (or better), but just had somebody they liked even better.  Maybe a team had SJC as a 5th-round value, but somebody they rated as an early 4th-round value was available when they drafted ahead of the Packers in round 5, for example; or maybe somebody after them ranked him as 5th rounder, but the Packers had already snagged him.  One of those teams might well remember their solid draft evals, and be interested in grabbing him over their 53rd man.   

Or maybe the Packers were unique in giving him 5th-round score, and nobody else scored him higher than 7th/UDFA caliber.  Those teams may have no interest in releasing their 53rd man in order to grab SJC.  

Without knowing other teams' draft boards, we have know idea how likely having SJC getting claimed might be.  

Personally my guess is that he'd probably clear pretty easily, and that *IF* they waive him for PS intents, that they're unlikely to lose him.  But I'm totally just guessing.  It's possible that Gute might need to be kinda guessing too?

I think Gute is doing a little better than guessing, but the rest of us here, we are totally guessing. I like what I've seen from Ento tbh. I think he has a chance. I'd be OK with us releasing Yiadom. BTW, I don't think Josh Jackson played today for the Giants. Could be wrong about that and when you look at their CB room, I think he's going to have a tough time making the 53. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

BTW, I don't think Josh Jackson played today for the Giants. Could be wrong about that and when you look at their CB room, I think he's going to have a tough time making the 53. 

If he played, he's got no stats.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I’d be pretty surprised to see us cut bait on a 5th rounder so early.  He would have to have shown himself to be a total liability and that has not been the case. He had a few decent plays in between some not so great moments in these two games. His position coach was praising his understanding of the game and willingness to tackle early on in camp. It’s possible he is too limited physically for this level but I believe he’ll get his chance to prove it on this year’s 53. Ento has made some strides.  We have developed him this far so it would be a shame to lose him to waivers but in the end, those are the problems you hope to have at cut down. 16 man PS with the ability to protect and bring guys up should make for a good developmental group if we can keep all of our guys. 

With 1 pre season game to go I reckon there are 44 players locked in

Only questions for me come down to the following:

Do we keep 4 RB’s - If yes Taylor gets a spot

How many receivers do we keep - if 7 then Taylor and Winfree fighting for that spot

Who is the 4th TE - Dafney or Sternberger (that decision comes week 3 given Sternberger’s suspension)

Do we keep 4 or 5 ILB - Martin, Burks and McDuffie fighting for the last 1 or 2 spots

Whats the mix of DB’s (7xCB, 4xS or 6xCB, 5xS) - SJC, Yiadom, Uphill and Gaines fitting for the last 2 spots

Do we look at a veteran punter or keep Scott? (especially given the lack of times we punt with this offence)

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The film don't lie. Your draft boards are often wrong. Not to mention he was projected to go in the 7th round or be an undrafted free agent. 

I'm probably sounding like a hater of this kid. I should stop. 

Boards are largely significantly shorter then the actual draft.  At a certain point, you start drafting your priority UDFA with your later picks.  I'd imagine that SJC was either towards the very end of their draft board or at the top of their UDFA board.  It wouldn't surprise me if their undraft grades came after the Slaton pick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Guess we'll find out when/if ATL comes calling looking to make a trade.
They cant presume GB's gonna designate Benkert to the PS.....well thats not correct...they can make the presumption, but would that be the smart move? 

Nobody is trading anything for Benkert.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craig said:

Someone is going to make a claim on SJC.  There's not enough CB talent in the other 31 rooms.

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think Gute is doing a little better than guessing, but the rest of us here, we are totally guessing. I like what I've seen from Ento tbh. I think he has a chance. I'd be OK with us releasing Yiadom. BTW, I don't think Josh Jackson played today for the Giants. Could be wrong about that and when you look at their CB room, I think he's going to have a tough time making the 53. 

Is Yiadom one of our top 4 CBs?  No.  Is he a developmental type you like?  Probably not.  Does he offer ST value?  It appears so.  You're likely going down with either Ento or Yiadom as CB6.

5 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

Do we keep 4 RB’s - If yes Taylor gets a spot

No.  We're carrying 3.  Taylor probably gets a PS spot assuming he doesn't get claimed.

How many receivers do we keep - if 7 then Taylor and Winfree fighting for that spot

Can't see us carrying more than 6.  Pretty sure they surprised most of us by only carrying 5 WRs last year.  I think 7 is out of the question.  Still think there's someone in this group on the outside looking in, and probably trade bait.  Either Funchess or ESB.

Who is the 4th TE - Dafney or Sternberger (that decision comes week 3 given Sternberger’s suspension)

Dafney for now.  Let the whole injury thing sort out what you do when Sternberger is back.

Do we keep 4 or 5 ILB - Martin, Burks and McDuffie fighting for the last 1 or 2 spots

Starting to appear that it'll be 5 being kept.  Campbell and Barnes are your starters.  Summers and Burks offer ST value, and Martin is still a developmental type you like.  McDuffie is a PS candidate I'd assume.

Whats the mix of DB’s (7xCB, 4xS or 6xCB, 5xS) - SJC, Yiadom, Uphill and Gaines fitting for the last 2 spots

I think we're going to end up with 11 DBs.  We've carried 6 CB's and 4 S's the last 2 years, so you have to figure that's a given.  Jaire, King, Sullivan, and Stokes are CB locks.  SJC would be the highest drafted player for Gute to not make the 53 man roster I believe.  CB6 likely comes down to Yiadom and Ento in that scenario, and I think Ento wins out there.  At S, you've got Amos, Savage, and Scott as roster locks IMO.  I think Black is relatively safe as well.  S5 probably comes down to Redmond, Uphoff, and Gaines.  The loser of the latter two seems PS fodder.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   It's looking like the decision on the Packers swing tackle will be either Dennis Kelly or Yosh Nijman.

I don't see both on the roster even without a healthy David Bakhtiari to start the season, right?

both will be on the roster IMO