2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

Somebody sell me on Ben Braden.  He was stated to be "competing for a starting spot at guard," but was, at best, the fourth best guard, that played, during the preseason.  Sure he can play tackle, just worse than Bakhtiari, Nijman, Jenkins, Kelly, and Turner.  Can he line up and be the 15th best WR too?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, R T said:

If the Packers didn't remove Bakhtiari from the PUP yet, I would guess he stays on the PUP to start the season. No roster shell game would be needed to be played to get him to the IR.  

I would guess so, but that means he’s out for a mandatory 6 games?  They know what kind of timeline they believe him to be on but I’m hoping he gets back before that. This is one of the things I’m most interested to see tomorrow on top of who makes the final spots in their respective groups. I hope we can get the spirit of 69 on the field sooner than later but it will all come down to medicals. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Somebody sell me on Ben Braden.  He was stated to be "competing for a starting spot at guard," but was, at best, the fourth best guard, that played, during the preseason.  Sure he can play tackle, just worse than Bakhtiari, Nijman, Jenkins, Kelly, and Turner.  Can he line up and be the 15th best WR too?

HIs name has very nice alliteration.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:10 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Best I got, his high school football coach was the assistant coach on my high school basketball team. No, not the same time, I was much before him. 

OK, cut his ***! 

Edited by Old Guy

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

His dad married my wife

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The predictions are over, the initial roster is set.
So how much does that roster cost and how does it compare to other clubs ?

This is what ALL IN  looks like in graphic form.

https://overthecap.com/2021-season-preview-the-top-valued-rosters-in-the-nfl/

2021-roster-value.png

Interesting that the Saints were far and away in the worst cap position heading into this past off season. They are looking at another year of kicking the can down the road. 

We have over 100 million in cap space in 2023. Going to need to get Alexander, Jenkins, Gary and Savage extended from rookie deals out of that change as well. 

Definitely looking at a roster purge after this season. Even if Rodgers wanted to return, does it make sense? IMO, not unless he'd be willing to do a Brady team friendly deal. I don't see that happening. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Definitely looking at a roster purge after this season.

What is a "purge"? I think we will lose a guy or two from this team that is currently under contract, but I don't foresee a ton of turnover, either.

Rodgers is the obvious one. What happens there drives a lot of subsequent moves.

Cobb saves $7million.

Z Smith is slated for $28, he will be extended or cut and count for much less.

Jaire is slated for $13.5, he will be extended and count for much less.

Amos is slated for $12, in his last year, and a candidate for extension and reduction.

If Rodgers/Cobb and maybe Z Smith count as a 'purge', I agree. But it doesn't feel like there will be THAT many moves necessary. Just a couple big ones.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Amos is slated for $12, in his last year, and a candidate for extension and reduction.

The structure will make it work as you noted. But Amos has played lights out - and I think his annual average is gonna be close to that $12M/yr. Here's a link to contracts, click on "S" and you can see where the $12M/yr slots compared to his peers.

Harrison Smith and Jamaal Adams just re-set the Safety market and while Amos isn't in that league, the rising tide lifts all boats (...and so does the new TV money is 2023 and beyond) 

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Interesting that the Saints were far and away in the worst cap position heading into this past off season. They are looking at another year of kicking the can down the road. 

We have over 100 million in cap space in 2023. Going to need to get Alexander, Jenkins, Gary and Savage extended from rookie deals out of that change as well. 

Definitely looking at a roster purge after this season. Even if Rodgers wanted to return, does it make sense? IMO, not unless he'd be willing to do a Brady team friendly deal. I don't see that happening. 

Agreed, and Alexander and Jenkins are absolute musts.  Gary and Savage will also be Packers for a while yet.  The question is who among Adams, MVS, Tonyan, Lazard, Smith's, etc etc make sense?  Ol Rodg really does not, unless like you say he gives us that team friendly deal.  He must be moved or extended.  I don't think he will at all be friendly so more than likely he is gone with a treasure trove coming back.  It will be a delicate balanced attack to move on with Love and not blow it up.  Keeping enough talent around Love to allow him to grow into the role with a chance for success from day one.

27 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The structure will make it work as you noted. But Amos has played lights out - and I think his annual average is gonna be close to that $12M/yr. Here's a link to contracts, click on "S" and you can see where the $12M/yr slots compared to his peers.

Harrison Smith and Jamaal Adams just re-set the Safety market and while Amos isn't in that league, the rising tide lifts all boats (...and so does the new TV money is 2023 and beyond) 

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

Yep. I love Amos and would want to extend him and that structure would have a reduced 2022 cap hit because of situation.

58 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What is a "purge"? I think we will lose a guy or two from this team that is currently under contract, but I don't foresee a ton of turnover, either.

Rodgers is the obvious one. What happens there drives a lot of subsequent moves.

Cobb saves $7million.

If Rodgers/Cobb and maybe Z Smith count as a 'purge', I agree. But it doesn't feel like there will be THAT many moves necessary. Just a couple big ones.

Where is the 20+ million a year coming from to keep Adams? Probably 10+ million each to keep MVS and Tonyan. You also aren't keeping both Preston and Z Smith. 

Amos salary is 7 million so there isn't a ton to move down the road into the subsequent years. 

If you move on from Rodgers, Cobb and Z Smith you save 42 million dollars as it stands without another move. Still doesn't leave you enough money to draft. If you want to keep Z and extend him then you have to get rid of Preston. 

I consider not bringing back guys you would like to re-sign part of the purge. 

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm so sick of this "purge" crap I could vomit. We lose quality starters and role players every year due to contracts(Bulaga, Linsley, etc.), but we never look at it as a purge so why view it as one now? Also, what part of "it wasn't about the money" did we forget when Rodgers came back. Rodgers probably couldn't care less about the money given endorsements and his last contract. He's stated time and again that he cares more about being the face of the organization, chief recruiter, and have a say in personnel decisions; pretty sure that's more important than the money at this point for him. 

With all that said, we also keep forgetting that we will have a better clue as to where salary cap numbers may be mid-season vs. the beginning of the season. I suspect New Orleans will go through something similar as time passes by. At this specific point in time and for the sake of debate, I think we only lose Cobb at the end of the season and I bet he'll retire and maybe even join the coaching staff if we win a Super Bowl. MVS is out the door and is essentially replaced by a draft pick the following year. Given the fact that we have a lot of space in 2023, bigger salaries will most likely be deferred to that particular year with minimal hit the first year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Cobb saves $7million.

I'm somewhat naive.  But:

1.  "Rogers is the obvious one":  that's pretty much a given has-to-happen, I think.  *IF* it hypothetically didn't, then a "volume of players" "purge" would be kinda needful, no?
  2. "RogersCobb and Z" might not be a big-volume purge.  But given the importance of an MVP QB, I understand how media and the common fan would view walking out the QB as a money "purge", even if the volume of players isn't massive.
  3. The "over-the-cap" listing only includes existing player contracts.  So, isn't part of the issue that guys like Adams and Tonyan and MVS are already not included?  Will "Rodgers/Cobb and maybe Z... just a couple big ones" suffice to enable extensions for Adams, Tonyan, MVS, and anybody else I'm forgetting?  Or might it be "Rodgers/Cobb and maybe Z" going off, but also one or more from the Adams/Tonyan/MVS group also going away?  

Stupid questions, I assume this has been processed a million times already!  Has he conclusion been that if Rodgers/Cobb and maybe Z went off, that there would be enough for both Adams and at least one of Tonyan/MVS and maybe both?  And for Jenkins and Jaire?