Raiders sign CB Casey Hayward; Update: 1 year deal worth up to $4M

Turnobili

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I like it. We have a ton of young guys but no real savvy vet. He's super familiar with the scheme and can help mentor the young guns in Trayvon Mullen, Damon Arnette, Amik Robertson, Isiah Johnson, Nate Hobbs, etc. Likely didn't cost much at this point in time either. Not a bad stopgap for a season or two.

• Like 1

I gotta say, Heyward's decline last year was eye-opening.    He went from premium, top 5-8 cover CB, to absolute toastable in 2021.   Maybe there's a hidden injury and he'll bounce back, but the age / injury history, real risk he's not the same guy.   Still, given the timing, I imagine it's a cheap deal, so very little risk involved.  Guess we'll see.

Hayward was mostly a high end slot corner in his earlier years. It was really with the Chargers that he started playing outside as a primary role, where he exceeded expectations and became a high end boundary corner. I can't speak to exactly what caused his decline, but perhaps him playing more in the slot would be helpful? Or is that something that would only become more difficult with age...

I wonder if they'll give him the old Chris Harris role of starting as the boundary CB who kicks into the slot in nickel (allowing a bench CB like Arnette to play boundary in nickel)

Edited by Turnobili

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I gotta say, Heyward's decline last year was eye-opening.    He went from premium, top 5-8 cover CB, to absolute toastable in 2021.   Maybe there's a hidden injury and he'll bounce back, but the age / injury history, real risk he's not the same guy.   Still, given the timing, I imagine it's a cheap deal, so very little risk involved.  Guess we'll see.

If he stays the same or declines more, he'd fit right in with the Raiders CB's of the past couple decades (minus Scrabble and a couple others)!

• Like 1

Preferred Sherman but this is an excellent signing for us. He's absolutely starting for us and is a great fit in Bradley's system. I'm assuming Arnette would play Nickel Back now. However, if Hayward struggles, they'll probably try to interchange the two to see if that works. 

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Exactly. Honestly, toastable is still an upgrade so I'll take it lmao.

I think he was a little beaten up last year IIRC.

11 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Hayward was mostly a high end slot corner in his earlier years. It was really with the Chargers that he started playing outside as a primary role, where he exceeded expectations and became a high end boundary corner. I can't speak to exactly what caused his decline, but perhaps him playing more in the slot would be helpful? Or is that something that would only become more difficult with age...

I wonder if they'll give him the old Chris Harris role of starting as the boundary CB who kicks into the slot in nickel (allowing a bench CB like Arnette to play boundary in nickel)

He can't keep up with people anymore. 

Once teams figured out that the money was on double moves and go routes, he got toasted a lot. 

He could still be a good RZ corner, but if he plays like last year, he's a major liability on the outside. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:59 PM, Broncofan said:

He was dealing with injuries. But he is on the decline given his age.