2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Melvin Gordon also signed his contract at 27 years old, Jacobs will be 24/25 when he hits the open market. Gordon also signed his deal when the cap was $182M, Jacobs will be hitting the market when the cap could be as high as $248M. At the time of Melvin Gordon's deal his salary accounted for 4.5% of Denver's total cap, if Jacobs signed a deal at 4.5% with the expected cap number he'd get around $11M APY. 

Except RB contracts don't necessarily track with cap increases. Gurley signed for 4 years, $60 million in 2018 when the cap was at $177 million. Henry signed for 4 years $50 million when the cap was at $182 million. That's just a snapshot, but new money typically goes to premium positions like QB, T, Edge, WR, than runningbacks. We may never see a $20 per year runningback.

Plus, I don't think last year's depressed cap did much to deter big long-term money. Short term deals took a bigger hit.

Edited by Rich7sena

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Except RB contracts don't necessity track with cap increases. Gurley signed for 4 years, $60 million in 2018 when the cap was at $177 million. Henry signed for 4 years $50 million when the cap was at $182 million. That's just a snapshot, but new money typically goes to premium positions like QB, T, Edge, WR, than runningbacks. We may never see a $20 per year runningback.

Plus, I don't think last year's depressed cap did much to deter big long-term money. Short term deals took a bigger hit.

I don't see Josh Jacobs, especially if we turn down his 5th year option at $10M, accepting a long term deal here for less money. Especially since he's poised to have a career year in McDaniel's scheme.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't see Josh Jacobs, especially if we turn down his 5th year option at $10M, accepting a long term deal here for less money. Especially since he's poised to have a career year in McDaniel's scheme.

I actually don't think a power scheme is best for Jacobs.

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

I expect them to use high draft picks on Oline this year

I could see them going heavy on OL in free agency as well. Morgan Moses is someone that they're likely familiar with as he played with the Jets last year at RT. Ted Karras (Patriots LG) is also a free agent. 

Add those two: Miller - Karras - James - Good - Moses 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I could see them going heavy on OL in free agency as well. Morgan Moses is someone that they're likely familiar with as he played with the Jets last year at RT. Ted Karras (Patriots LG) is also a free agent. 

Add those two: Miller - Karras - James - Good - Moses 

depends on who comes in as the DC. Because say they go the wink Martindale route(3-4 Press man defense): that creates holes that you would rather fill an FA rather than the draft if you're trying to reload instead of rebuild. Whereas all line if you can find a RT in the 1st and a high end guard in the second round you did a good job. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

depends on who comes in as the DC. Because say they go the wink Martindale route(3-4 Press man defense): that creates holes that you would rather fill an FA rather than the draft if you're trying to reload instead of rebuild. Whereas all line if you can find a RT in the 1st and a high end guard in the second round you did a good job. 

Finding a veteran RT or OG in free agency at a reasonable price is much easier than finding a premium corner, pass rusher, or interior DL.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Finding a veteran RT or OG in free agency at a reasonable price is much easier than finding a premium corner, pass rusher, or interior DL.

It's also easier to find it in the draft. And we've proven this year that if we don't have a right tackle but have a good corner and pass rush/ interior dl play we can make the playoffs. They are not gonna wanna screw that up imo 

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It's also easier to find it in the draft. And we've proven this year that if we don't have a right tackle but have a good corner and pass rush/ interior dl play we can make the playoffs. They are not gonna wanna screw that up imo 

We could've signed someone like Morgan Moses extremely cheap but drafted Leatherwood over guys like Phillips and Azeez.

• Like 1