2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

13 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah…. I just don’t see us NEEDING the 2nd so much as to sacrifice the future.  There will always be needs on the team.  You’ll always want to add another player.  But when you figure the cost it doesn’t seem like we need it that bad.

plus, it’d forever make me feel like we traded 2 1sts for Adams.

I don’t think I’d associate it with the Adams trade but I feel what you’re saying totally. I’m going to just try and take it with a case by case basis but like you, it would take a hell of a player falling pretty dang far for me to make the trade up. 

45 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I don’t think I’d associate it with the Adams trade but I feel what you’re saying totally. I’m going to just try and take it with a case by case basis but like you, it would take a hell of a player falling pretty dang far for me to make the trade up. 

That's the thing lots of people thought we would have had to give up next year's 1st for Adams so why not if a blue chip player falls give it up then, the reality is we got Adams fairly cheap and and we can possibly add a blue chip player that falls this year to a team that's clearly going for it. That being said it all depends who is there and when, but I would consider it if the domino's fell right and for the right player.

34 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

That's the thing lots of people thought we would have had to give up next year's 1st for Adams so why not if a blue chip player falls give it up then, the reality is we got Adams fairly cheap and and we can possibly add a blue chip player that falls this year to a team that's clearly going for it. That being said it all depends who is there and when, but I would consider it if the domino's fell right and for the right player.

I see the viewpoint and I’m surprised we didn’t give up next years myself. Like you said, it all depends who is there. I also think it matters position we really would want to target. Someone would really need to drop or they would have to be very very dead set on them for me to feel comfortable about it. 

Well if Jamo falls into the 2nd I’d absolutely give up a 1st in ‘23 and our ‘22 third for him.

but I can’t see many teams at the top of round 2 being willing to take that offer outside of a team without a long term QB who would be trying to get enough draft capital to secure a top 3-5 pick.

Seattle does have 40 and 41.

the jets already have Zach Wilson but with 4,10,35,38, their 3rd #69, 2 4th and 5ths they might want to essentially invest a 2nd to become a 1sts next year.  Back when we had 3 1sts in 2019 I said we should follow the Pats model (I forget exactly what thru did but essentially they kept traded a pick and the pick they received the next year, etc etc)… in essence the old trading a paper clip multiples of times until it becomes a house)….  It’s the idea of compounding interest…. you trade away 38 for a 3rd and 23 1st, then in ‘23 you trade that 1st for a 2nd/3+4 and 1st in ‘24 and so on.  You basically give up a high 2nd for round 2-4 picks (the interest) until which time that you want to use that pick plus your own to move up for an elite talent.  There will always be a GM on that hot seat trying to save him job willing to trade a higher pick next year or a GM who falls in love with a prospect that fills a need, so there really won’t be a time that you vent trade back or for a pick next year.

it’s honestly not a bad idea for us to do next  draft, albeit it’s a lot easier to do if your a bad team picking early. It also requires a FO that is job secure.  If your a playoff team it’s unlikely anyone will trade a next years 1st for a late 50s or 60s pick, so you trade a 3rd for next year 2nd.  In ‘24 you trade that 2nd and our 3rd for a ‘25 1st, in ‘25 you trade that 1st and our 1st (and maybe a ‘26 1st) for a QB in the top 5.  

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not many guys I’d trade up for. I think we could land a decent tackle like max mitchell or an athletic lb like domann/muma/beavers at 86. That would be a win. OL/S/LB/DT are all needs though.

I think LB is the way to go in the 3rd.  You can get quality LBs there most years and this year seems to have a few.  And without a 1st or 2nd, we might want someone who can contribute in year one.  A LB in the 3rd generally speaking will be able to play in at least a limited role whereas a guy like Mitchell probably needs a year to bulk up and learn.  Plus, we hopefully sign a RT like Trent Brown, Daryl Williams, Billy Turner to a deal that’s a 1+1 with the second being a team Option.

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think LB is the way to go in the 3rd.  You can get quality LBs there most years and this year seems to have a few.  And without a 1st or 2nd, we might want someone who can contribute in year one.  A LB in the 3rd generally speaking will be able to play in at least a limited role whereas a guy like Mitchell probably needs a year to bulk up and learn.  Plus, we hopefully sign a RT like Trent Brown, Daryl Williams, Billy Turner to a deal that’s a 1+1 with the second being a team Option.

Agree on a vet OT. Would make a lot of sense. I do agree the LB class is good and our DL is pretty good as well so getting a versatile cover LB would pay dividends in year 1.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:OL/S/LB/DT are all needs though.

DT seems like it’ll be very weak in the 3rd.

LB should have several good options.

OT with Possibly Petite-Frere and Lucas or players who could convert to G  like Kinnard, Mitchell, Rhyan, Tyler Smith would all be good picks.

S- not really a great year for 3rd round S’s but I do think Kerby Joseph would be a good pick.

10 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Channing Tindal

Tindal is lightning fast when it comes to closing on a ball carrier.  There’s a lot to like there.  Unfortunately he just didn’t get enough reps at Georgia to really give scouts a full look of who he is.  I’m not entirely sure he’s a MLB, I think he could play WILL. Arthur Moats, ex-Pitt LB, had a decent video on him.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Tindal is lightning fast when it comes to closing on a ball carrier.  There’s a lot to like there.  Unfortunately he just didn’t get enough reps at Georgia to really give scouts a full look of who he is.  I’m not entirely sure he’s a MLB, I think he could play WILL. Arthur Moats, ex-Pitt LB, had a decent video on him.

He is a raw poor mans version of Devin White.  They are right about the coaching.  A good coach could really make this guy a player.  If we still had Guenther he would come here and just watch his career die.  I love LBs like this that you see break on a ball carrier and you wonder how did they get there so fast.  It is what I like about Karl Joseph and Devin White.  Just insane burst.