2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think his cap hit would be $3-4M. I'd feel absolutely comfortable paying him that. Dude stepped in as a backup and lead a team to a Super Bowl, lol. Our season wouldn't just be done if he had to step in and play. That'd put him at the same pay rate as guys like Tyrod Taylor, Joe Flacco, and Chad Henne, lol.

No,,,, he had a salary of $4m so it’d be at least $4M.  I know why your saying 3-4M is because you saw he had $1M of salary guaranteed.  Chicago doesn’t pay that if they trade him.  Only if they cut him. Whether or not we’d be responsible for the other $4M roster bonus , I think Chicago paid/pays it if he’s traded.  It seems like the deadline for it passed already.

if Carr went down and we had Foles, I think our season is absolutely done.  Maybe if we were in another division I’d think differently.  

The only scenario where Carr gets hurt and we’re saved by the backup Is if it’s during a game and Carr can’t return or if It’s a 1-2…. Maybe 3 Game injury.   If Carr goes down week 11 and we’re 7-3 with 7 games to go I can’t see us making the playoffs.  We’d end up finishing the remaining 3-4 and ending up 10-7 and just missing the playoffs.

In Chicago, Foles went 2-5 in ‘20 and 1-0 in ‘21.  That 3-5 record doesn’t instill confidence in me. 

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think his cap hit would be $3-4M. I'd feel absolutely comfortable paying him that. Dude stepped in as a backup and lead a team to a Super Bowl, lol. Our season wouldn't just be done if he had to step in and play. That'd put him at the same pay rate as guys like Tyrod Taylor, Joe Flacco, and Chad Henne, lol.

The whole Super Bowl thing happened 5 years ago and Foles isn’t really the same player he was back then.

not to Mention what would be have to give Chicago for him?  Remember, they must value his because they didn’t cut him before the $4m roster bonus kicked in.  

I can’t imagine they’d keep him past the bonus, having to pay it out, and settle for less than a 4th rounder.

they probably would want a 3rd.

I’d much rather draft Strong in the 3rd and get him for 4y, 5.4M then trade a 4th for Foles and paying him 1y, 4m.

I think either player isn’t going to hold down the team for more than a game or two.  foles gives you a higher chance of winning but like I said before Strong has that “chuckers luck” factor about him.  

Edited by jimkelly02

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

The whole Super Bowl thing happened 5 years ago and Foles isn’t really the same player he was back then.

not to Mention what would be have to give Chicago for him?  Remember, they must value his because they didn’t cut him before the $4m roster bonus kicked in.  
I can’t imagine they’d keep him past the bonus, having to pay it out, and settle for less than a 4th rounder.

they probably would want a 3rd.

I’d much rather draft Strong in the 3rd and get him for 4y, 5.4M then trade a 4th for Foles and paying him 1y, 4m.

I think either player isn’t going to hold down the team for more than a game or two.  foles gives you a higher chance of winning but like I said before Strong has that “chuckers luck” factor about him.  

I highly doubt that they'd ask for anything more than a late round pick, $4M isn't bad for a backup QB that has won a Super Bowl. He was good in the limited action he got with Chicago last season and the Bears weren't exactly a great offensive team loaded with talent. Saving $4M isn't worth a third round pick for a QB who's on an expiring deal, lol. 

Andy Dalton is likely going to be seeking $4-5M as well, I'd prefer him over Strong for sure. Both are guys that have played a ton of football and won a lot of games over their careers. 

Carson Strong behind our OL would be injured within a quarter, dude can't move at all. 

I wouldn't mind a developmental QB if we had all of our picks. But taking one in the third round when we still have clear holes to fill and limited draft capital just doesn't seem like a smart investment especially if he'd come into a situation as our main and only backup.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I highly doubt that they'd ask for anything more than a late round pick, $4M isn't bad for a backup QB that has won a Super Bowl. He was good in the limited action he got with Chicago last season and the Bears weren't exactly a great offensive team loaded with talent. Saving $4M isn't worth a third round pick for a QB who's on an expiring deal, lol. 

Andy Dalton is likely going to be seeking $4-5M as well, I'd prefer him over Strong for sure. Both are guys that have played a ton of football and won a lot of games over their careers. 

Carson Strong behind our OL would be injured within a quarter, dude can't move at all. 

Chicago decided to keep Foles on the roster 5 days into the league year and thus paid him his $4M roster bonus.  They could have cut him and not paid it.  Obviously, they either want him on the team or would want a decent draft pick for him.  Plus they just traded a 4th rounder for him in 2020.  They’re not going to trade him for a 6th round pick.  They’ll want at least a 4th or 5th.

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

Chicago decided to keep Foles on the roster 5 days into the league year and thus paid him his $4M roster bonus.  They could have cut him and not paid it.  Obviously, they either want him on the team or would want a decent draft pick for him.  Plus they just traded a 4th rounder for him in 2020.  They’re not going to trade him for a 6th round pick.  They’ll want at least a 4th or 5th.

I'd give up a 2023 5th round pick for Foles with a $4M cap hit personally. 

Going into the draft I'd say our biggest needs are still: 

• NT - Need a legitimate 1T if we're going to play a lot of 3-4 looks

• DT/DE - Need another rotational 3-4 DE 

• RT - I don't think Parker is the permanent solution there

Secondary needs:

• Edge - Could use some more depth behind Crosby/Jones, 3-4 OLB type

• CB - Could still use some more depth here

• S - Could use one more depending on how the staff feels about the current group

• WR/RB - Could use some more depth in both of these rooms

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

86. Abraham Lucas | OT | Washington State

126. John Ridgeway | NT | Arkansas 

164. David Anenih | LB | Houston

165. Thomas Booker | DL | Stanford

227. Smoke Monday | S | Auburn

If we can walk away with Lucas and Ridgeway I will call it a good draft considering our picks.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'm convinced people keep putting Smoke Monday in their mocks simply because of his name. Because if you've ever watched him play, he's basically a poor mans Johnathan Abram.

Yeah we need superstar talent at 227

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Going into the draft I'd say our biggest needs are still: 

• NT - Need a legitimate 1T if we're going to play a lot of 3-4 looks

• DT/DE - Need another rotational 3-4 DE 

• RT - I don't think Parker is the permanent solution there

Secondary needs:

• Edge - Could use some more depth behind Crosby/Jones, 3-4 OLB type

• CB - Could still use some more depth here

• S - Could use one more depending on how the staff feels about the current group

• WR/RB - Could use some more depth in both of these rooms

I see that as well. I hope we sign another free agent or 2 so we can go BPA.