2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

No his contract is fully guaranteed.

I could be wrong but even if it is fully guaranteed we are only on the hook for what he is already paid.  The team he is traded to will still pay the base salary and it is still fully guaranteed.  If we cut him we would have to pay the full amount.  I am not 100% sure but this is what I remember.  Otherwise nobody could trade these players.

6 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

But all indications say he'll do better this year. 

Slot heavy offense check

True #1 outside check

Young and still improving check

Renfrow saw a huge spike in production because we lost Ruggs during the season, Waller was banged up for most of the year, and our inability to run the ball led to Carr's most productive season from a bulk yardage standpoint. He had almost as many targets last season as he did during his first two years combined. 

Renfrow had 128 targets last year which was 18th most in the NFL. Adams had 169 targets which was 2nd most and Waller had 145 in 2020 when he was healthy which was 6th most. 

Assuming that Waller and Adams are both healthy there's zero chance that Renfrow will get even close to the number of targets he had last year.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I could be wrong but even if it is fully guaranteed we are only on the hook for what he is already paid.  The team he is traded to will still pay the base salary and it is still fully guaranteed.  If we cut him we would have to pay the full amount.  I am not 100% sure but this is what I remember.  Otherwise nobody could trade these players.

Is $2M in cap space worth having a huge hole at RB?

Just now, NYRaider said:

Is $2M in cap space worth having a huge hole at RB?

I am not saying what we should or should not do.  Just trying to clarify the what would happen.  If I had to decide I would keep Jacobs unless I got a really good trade offer.  I think he is better than what we would get in return but if another team wants to get stupid I would trade him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not saying what we should or should not do.  Just trying to clarify the what would happen.  If I had to decide I would keep Jacobs unless I got a really good trade offer.  I think he is better than what we would get in return but if another team wants to get stupid I would trade him.

This is my point. With his small cap hit and his ability I wondered if we could get a really good trade offer. 

9 minutes ago, Dessie said:

This is my point. With his small cap hit and his ability I wondered if we could get a really good trade offer. 

16 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Why would another team trade for him instead of going for a cost effective back in round 2/3 like you want us to do after we trade him? lol

• Like 1

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Because they would be stupid.  It does happen.

I don't think there's any good starting RB in the NFL that was acquired via trade. Melvin Gordon is still available in free agency, if I'm a team looking for a veteran I'd rather pay him then give up draft capital for Jacobs and have to pay him as well.

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming that Waller and Adams are both healthy there's zero chance that Renfrow will get even close to the number of targets he had last year.

This is absolutely true and the only thing I'm holding onto that he won't be as expensive to sign next off-season. I don't want him going anywhere. With Waller, Adams, and him, this offense could be absolutely deadly in the air. Just gotta protect the QB

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is absolutely true and the only thing I'm holding onto that he won't be as expensive to sign next off-season. I don't want him going anywhere. With Waller, Adams, and him, this offense could be absolutely deadly in the air. Just gotta protect the QB

Exactly. I think that's the plan. His value will come down after this season because he'll have a phenomenal catch rate but probably closer to 700/800 yards. Which is still fine. He's a stud and super valuable. We just happen to have some of the NFL's best at other skill positions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I just don't really see a team giving him a crazy contract either way tbh. Kirk got overpaid but he can play inside/outside and was younger. Renfrow will be 27 this year and is pretty limited as a slot WR only.

• Like 1

If he's on the board I'd be interested in taking Brandon Smith and moving him to a rush LB role where he's just asked to get after the QB like the Cowboys did with Parsons last year. Or if we were to develop him as an off ball LB, Smith/Deablo could become a pretty damn good duo.

Edited by NYRaider

11 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Nick Cross the safety out of Maryland as a potential 3rd rounder?  If he is on the board he should be strongly considered and would pose good value.  

I've started to look more into Cross and Joseph the safety out of Illinois as potential options in the third. I wonder what Graham thinks of the safety that we took in the 4th last year, I don't ever remember seeing him play.