2022 Draft Talk

swede700

Fixing the defense mock draft using PFF mock draft simulator

Pick 12 is trade to the Eagles for 1.15 and 3.83 - They have a ton of draft capital and trade up to get their guy.

1.15 Trent Mcduffie CB Washington

2.44 Jalen Pitre CB Baylor

3.76 Sky Moore WR Western Michigan

3.83 Boye Mafe EDGE Minnesota

Mcduffie & Pitre would bring amazing flexibility & aggression to the defense. Mcduffie can play slot or otuside corner and doesn't shy away from the run game he is Antoine Winfield esque.

Pitre can play CB & S and is a great blitzer (could learn a thing or two from Harrison?)

Moore & Mafe would be defelopmental pieces for the pass game and pass rush.

8 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I think the dropping back into coverage take is outdated. My question is, how often does TJ Watt drop into coverage? Von Miller? Khalil Mack in his prime? I don't know the answers but I couldn't imagine more then 10% during a game.

The drop into coverage is typically what, dropping into the flat in a zone for a rb sneaking out? I think the main emphasis is, can this dude rush the passer? Can this dude rush the passer from a multitude of stances and positions? If yes, then he's a fit.

You are talking the primary rushers, the opposite rushers has to drop into coverage at times, if not they would be rushing 5 men to the QB on every play and not sure that happens much in the NFL outside of a blitz.  But sure it is not a huge deal but Von Miller is a standout athlete, Mack for his size was a great athlete also and so is TJ Watt, I just question if Jermaine Johnson is the type of athlete Von Miller is.

Also if you rush both edge guys every play then almost every play the ILBs are dropping in coverage but some teams have super small 3/4 ILBs just for that reason and bring them only sometimes on a rush.  Some are more like a safety almost at that ILB spot but at times that can work.

Hell a lot of 3/4 teams only play a 3/3 and the rest are all DBs so there is that, then technically it is not a 3/4 defense it is a 3/3/5.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You are talking the primary rushers, the opposite rushers has to drop into coverage at times, if not they would be rushing 5 men to the QB on every play and not sure that happens much in the NFL outside of a blitz.  But sure it is not a huge deal but Von Miller is a standout athlete, Mack for his size was a great athlete also and so is TJ Watt, I just question if Jermaine Johnson is the type of athlete Von Miller is.

Also if you rush both edge guys every play then almost every play the ILBs are dropping in coverage but some teams have super small 3/4 ILBs just for that reason and bring them only sometimes on a rush.  Some are more like a safety almost at that ILB spot but at times that can work.

Hell a lot of 3/4 teams only play a 3/3 and the rest are all DBs so there is that, then technically it is not a 3/4 defense it is a 3/3/5.

Would you say this LB/S role would be Surratts best chance to make something of himself?  I can't see him playing downhill and attacking the backfield like most traditional 3-4 ILBs

1 minute ago, NoDakViking said:

Would you say this LB/S role would be Surratts best chance to make something of himself?  I can't see him playing downhill and attacking the backfield like most traditional 3-4 ILBs

Steelers have Devin Bush who is 235 or something at ILB and Marcus Allen his backup and he was a safety in college and is 215 and Spillane is 230.  Chargers have Kyzir White who is 216 and Ogbongbemiga who is 230 ish.  Really it is 3/4 ILBs who can really run thus Dean on Georgia could be really interesting because he has great range at ILB.

Surratt it is hard to say, maybe he could play in that roll but he rushed off the edge in college and with his speed I think he might be better as a 3/4 OLB but not sure he could hold up always especially against the run.  Also not sure he is that great in coverage either but will be interesting how they try and use him.  

No clue what this is going to look like for the Vikings, but they can do all the front 7 stuff they want, if the secondary sucks the defense will suck.  They had a decent front 7 last year even with Hunter out, was not great but clearly go after the QB but the corners sucked so the D sucked.  

If that is not address they can play all they want about the scheme change to a 3/4, it will do nothing until the corners are improved.  

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

With the Bears, who we know run the Fangio style defense, Khalil Mack has dropped into coverage on 9.8% of passing plays. 

Aldon Smith, with the 49ers under Fangio, dropped into coverage on 12.7% of passing plays.

Von Miller, under Fangio and Donatell in Denver, dropped into coverage on 8.5% of passing plays. 

Joey Bosa, who now rushes from the OLB spot under Staley(a Fangio disciple), dropped back into coverage on 5.5% of passing plays. 

And it’s not like Zimmer never randomly dropped Hunter back into coverage from time to time. 

They were all primary rushers so of course they did not drop into coverage as much, how much did the OLB opposite them drop into coverage?  And the Chargers 3/4 is a joke if they call Bosa a OLB when really they are a 4/3 that is just multiple.  The OLB opposite him Nwosu drops into coverage plenty.

28 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Some cut ups of David Ojabo here:

Just soooooooo explosive, oh my.

There is such a slim chance the Vikings even get him honestly, the Jets, Giants and Broncos could all use him and the Jets and Giants both have two selections ahead of Minnesota.  Almost no chance he falls to Minnesota.  

18 hours ago, viking said:

Fixing the defense mock draft using PFF mock draft simulator

Pick 12 is trade to the Eagles for 1.15 and 3.83 - They have a ton of draft capital and trade up to get their guy.

1.15 Trent Mcduffie CB Washington

2.44 Jalen Pitre CB Baylor

3.76 Sky Moore WR Western Michigan

3.83 Boye Mafe EDGE Minnesota

Mcduffie & Pitre would bring amazing flexibility & aggression to the defense. Mcduffie can play slot or otuside corner and doesn't shy away from the run game he is Antoine Winfield esque.

Pitre can play CB & S and is a great blitzer (could learn a thing or two from Harrison?)

Moore & Mafe would be defelopmental pieces for the pass game and pass rush.

I saw that on NFL Network someone having the Vikings take McDuffie, would not be awful but is crazy high for him when he is more a late 1st round pick, also he might be just a slot guy.  I would love Pitre at safety but all depends on how he runs, awesome tackler but was he really a small LB playing safety, not sure he has that range to play safety but will see and I really doubt he could play CB.  Daxton Hill could play corner not Pitre and one could argue if Daxton Hill was around at 15 he would be a better pick than McDuffie.  

Mafe would never fall to the 3rd round by the way, 2nd day pick all the way.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

There is such a slim chance the Vikings even get him honestly, the Jets, Giants and Broncos could all use him and the Jets and Giants both have two selections ahead of Minnesota.  Almost no chance he falls to Minnesota.

Nothing is definite and absolute in life. There are extreme questions about him being a one year wonder and also his run stopping ability. 

It seems 7-15 is like his sweet spot though; and Vikings are in that sweet spot. Who knows, they might not even like him. 

11 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Nothing is definite and absolute in life. There are extreme questions about him being a one year wonder and also his run stopping ability. 

It seems 7-15 is like his sweet spot though; and Vikings are in that sweet spot. Who knows, they might not even like him. 

True but the Giants, Jets and Broncos are all 3/4 teams and all need another elite edge rusher, and there are not a ton of them in this draft.  A lot of edge guys but many who are probably better in a 4/3.  Ojabo is one of the few with the size, athletic ability and potential to bend around the corner in a 3/4 and do it very well, I would be shocked if they all pass on Ojabo.  Could also add the Falcons to that list who just cut Fowler and are in a huge need of edge rushers unless they are going to switch out of a 3/4 but as it is their edge rushers stink really.  

It certainly does.  I'm not a huge fan of any of them, although on Twitter, I'm having a pretty much useless debate with some who think Kellen Mond is the second-coming or something. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

It certainly does.  I'm not a huge fan of any of them, although on Twitter, I'm having a pretty much useless debate with some who think Kellen Mond is the second-coming or something. 

Second coming? Probably not. 

But as far as a the draft, I think Mond was a better prospect than anyone in this class. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Second coming? Probably not. 

But as far as a the draft, I think Mond was a better prospect than anyone in this class. 

I hate this class, but wouldn't go that far. Willis has the athletic traits and an effortless arm. Pickett is a better pure QB but has physical limits. Mond would probably rank between 3 and 6 in this class, depending what you're looking for in a QB. 

Regardless, I wouldn't take any of them in round 1; let alone at 12.