2022 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If we are going based on the year they are drafted:

1998: Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, Alan Faneca, Patrick Surtain, Matt Birk, Flozell Adams, Tra Thomas and Kyle Turley are examples of players I'd take over Moss. 

The highlighted are crazy. I also wouldn't take Woodson over Moss.  As great as Woodson was he didn't impact the game the way Randy did.  What Moss did changed the game & I don't know how you don't/can't see the value of having Moss & 3 defenders on him brings.  Its similar to the Adrian Peterson thing where he forced opposing defenses to stack the box almost every play.

Edited by Boda

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

A Vikings only mock? Or an NFL mock?

And we'll need to figure out when to do the Valhalla Mock Draft for the 1st round.  We should probably get started soon...I haven't figured out the days until the draft yet, which generally determines when to start it.  😉  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And we'll need to figure out when to do the Valhalla Mock Draft for the 1st round.  We should probably get started soon...I haven't figured out the days until the draft yet, which generally determines when to start it.  😉  

49 days until the draft, I believe. 

Here's my Mock draft using TDN Mock simulator.  All trades were offered to me.

Trades:

46 & 190 for 30

77 & 182 for 65

206, 229 & '22 3rd for 104, 156 & 232

156 & 232 for 115

Draft:

12 - "Sauce" Gardner - CB - Cincinnati

30 - Jordan Davis - DT - Georgia

65 - John Metchie III - WR - Alabama

104 - Quay Walker - LB - Georgia

115 - Brandon Smith - LB - Penn St

155 - Thayer Munford - OL - Ohio St

Gardner was an easy add & I highly doubt he's available @12 come draft day but I couldn't pass him up.

Davis was also a super value pick @30 & couldn't pass him up either. Also helps with the loss of one of Pierce or Tomlinson. I think one of them gets cut/traded

Metchie gives the Vikings another weapon with speed to take the top off the defense or kill opposing defenses out of the slot.

Edited by Boda

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

WHAT lol

I am definitely confused on that one. Manning should be the only consideration to take over Moss. Maybe Woodson I could buy an argument for over Moss. Would take a top 3 WR of all time over a bunch of hall of very good OL. Sometimes positional value needs to be ignored. 

9 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I don’t think there’s anyone on this board that wouldn’t take Rice or Moss #1 overall. I understand the point you are trying to make, but that’s a pretty outlandish claim to make.

To be fair, the team got rid of Moss twice. With the benefit of hindsight, would the current management even draft such a prima donna even if he was a generational talent?

2 hours ago, Boda said:

The highlighted are crazy. I also wouldn't take Woodson over Moss.  As great as Woodson was he didn't impact the game the way Randy did.  What Moss did changed the game & I don't know how you don't/can't see the value of having Moss & 3 defenders on him brings.  Its similar to the Adrian Peterson thing where he forced opposing defenses to stack the box almost every play.

I'd still take Revis, Willis, Joe Thomas, Staley, Kalil, Beason and maybe even Eric Weddle over Peterson based on position value.

I just don't value WRs and RBs like some day.

I'm of the belief that WR's are highly overvalued. Positional value is generally determined inside-out due to the structure of the field. Also, able WR's in today's game are so numerous that there's not much drop-off from some team's #2 to #4. 

But elite receivers are exempt from this. You get these guys - Adams, Hill, Thomas, and Kupp recently -  the ball as often as you can and they make plays no one else can. Team changers. Moss is obviously included in this. Taking Birk, Flozell Adams, Kyle Turley, and others over Moss (with hindsight) is horrendously asinine.

Edited by Duluther

12 hours ago, Duluther said:

I'm of the belief that WR's are highly overvalued. Positional value is generally determined inside-out due to the structure of the field. Also, able WR's in today's game are so numerous that there's not much drop-off from some team's #2 to #4. 

But elite receivers are exempt from this. You get these guys - Adams, Hill, Thomas, and Kupp recently -  the ball as often as you can and they make plays no one else can. Team changers. Moss is obviously included in this. Taking Birk, Flozell Adams, Kyle Turley, and others over Moss (with hindsight) is horrendously asinine.

I think of it as building from the inside out. Without a decent OL, its hard to have the time to get the ball to your WR, or open holes for the RB. Without a QB, the ball won't be accurately thrown to your WR. Sure, your crummy QB can hand the ball off to the RB, but he has to face 8-9 man boxes sometimes too.

I love Moss and Peterson, I just don't think their talent transcends positional value.

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think of it as building from the inside out. Without a decent OL, its hard to have the time to get the ball to your WR, or open holes for the RB. Without a QB, the ball won't be accurately thrown to your WR. Sure, your crummy QB can hand the ball off to the RB, but he has to face 8-9 man boxes sometimes too.

I love Moss and Peterson, I just don't think their talent transcends positional value.

Moss’ talent truly does transcend positional value. He’s the most talented WR in history. Obviously, Rice is the better WR but I don’t think he’s nearly as talented. Peterson I can maybe buy the argument. He was fairly one dimensional and did handicap the offense in some ways needing a 7 yard head start running the ball and not really adding much in the passing game.

• Like 1