2022 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, viking said:

Give me Garret Wislon in the first please

JJ clone - Let KOCs offense stew for a year or two

A WR would be interesting, especially since Thielen seems on the decline but with Osborn and Smith-Marsette in the wings seems not that needed.  I would rather have Penning a potential star OG or OT if he falls to the Vikings pick assuming all top CB and edge players are gone.  Bonitto is interesting but will see if they lock up Hunter, that is not a done deal yet is it, if so edge is not as big of a need and maybe Jordan Davis is in play.  

And I assume Ojabo is off the table now that he is hurt and cannot play most likely this up coming year, kid could still be a great player though and he could come back from that injury.  

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A WR would be interesting, especially since Thielen seems on the decline but with Osborn and Smith-Marsette in the wings seems not that needed.  I would rather have Penning a potential star OG or OT if he falls to the Vikings pick assuming all top CB and edge players are gone.  Bonitto is interesting but will see if they lock up Hunter, that is not a done deal yet is it, if so edge is not as big of a need and maybe Jordan Davis is in play.  

And I assume Ojabo is off the table now that he is hurt and cannot play most likely this up coming year, kid could still be a great player though and he could come back from that injury.  

From this offseason we're not competing for a ring so by adding Wilson + eventually locking up JJ we'll have a versatile duo who can both play from anywhere on the field and can beat DBs with speed, route running and by mossing defenders.

I'm over with the drafting  offensive lineman in the first round, if KOC and KAM think we need to have a better iOL go out and sign JC Tretter.

Yeah real shame about Ojabo, if he falls way down in the first round I'd have no problem with KAM jumping up to get him seeing as I feel 2023 is going to be the season we can really compete. It would give him 18 months to really get healthy

25 minutes ago, viking said:

From this offseason we're not competing for a ring so by adding Wilson + eventually locking up JJ we'll have a versatile duo who can both play from anywhere on the field and can beat DBs with speed, route running and by mossing defenders.

I'm over with the drafting  offensive lineman in the first round, if KOC and KAM think we need to have a better iOL go out and sign JC Tretter.

Yeah real shame about Ojabo, if he falls way down in the first round I'd have no problem with KAM jumping up to get him seeing as I feel 2023 is going to be the season we can really compete. It would give him 18 months to really get healthy

True based on how lacking this off season is maybe they are not ready to win now, but if that is the case why sign Kirk Cousins to a longer deal?

I would love JC Tretter but just two years ago he was an All Pro or something right, not sure they could get him but will see, surprised Cleveland let him go.  Carolina just signed Bradley Bozeman for a 1 year 2.8 mil contract, he is a decent center/OG for Baltimore and had a good year last season, odd the Ravens did not want him back at that price or the Vikings could not pay that price for a pretty cheap guard who can also play center...

Either way they are making very few moves but maybe they are waiting to see what scraps they can get at the end.  

I personally don't think OL should be the target in the first. I'm sorry but this team has too many holes to invest more premium picks at the OL. At some point, you need to coach and develop, or find less heralded guys to perform. This is getting ridiculous. Theoretically our Oline might consist of:

1st round pick

2nd round pick

1st round pick

3rd round pick (Davis)

2nd round pick

we should have ELITE Oline performance with that type of investment. It speaks volumes to the Vikings scouting staff (not in a good way) of the current state of the Vikings Oline. 

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I personally don't think OL should be the target in the first. I'm sorry but this team has too many holes to invest more premium picks at the OL. At some point, you need to coach and develop, or find less heralded guys to perform. This is getting ridiculous. Theoretically our Oline might consist of:

1st round pick

2nd round pick

1st round pick

3rd round pick (Davis)

2nd round pick

we should have ELITE Oline performance with that type of investment. It speaks volumes to the Vikings scouting staff (not in a good way) of the current state of the Vikings Oline. 

That's all a sunk cost at this point.  Maybe coaching was the issue,  then they could see start they could do with the current players.  If it was a scouting issue,  they still might need to draft some replacements.  Ideally the board falls right that they can really improve the defense and better coaching helps the O- line but I don't think the investment by the previous regime should prevent them from investing more into the line when it still needs work

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's all a sunk cost at this point.  Maybe coaching was the issue,  then they could see start they could do with the current players.  If it was a scouting issue,  they still might need to draft some replacements.  Ideally the board falls right that they can really improve the defense and better coaching helps the O- line but I don't think the investment by the previous regime should prevent them from investing more into the line when it still needs work

it's just terrible asset allocation mismanagement. The surplus on hitting on an IOL in top half of the first compared to a more premium position is like 3-4x less in value. 

We can all agree they won't be drafting tackles; i think they feel they have their 2 in Darrisaw and O'Neil. So that leaves IOL and again I repeat, just not the best way to improve the team long term.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

it's just terrible asset allocation mismanagement. The surplus on hitting on an IOL in top half of the first compared to a more premium position is like 3-4x less in value. 

We can all agree they won't be drafting tackles; i think they feel they have their 2 in Darrisaw and O'Neil. So that leaves IOL and again I repeat, just not the best way to improve the team long term.

That could be as far as value goes but I don't think the where the current players were drafted should make much of a difference.  Bradbury being a1st round pick shouldn't prevent them from spending resources to improve the position if the value is there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That could be as far as value goes but I don't think the where the current players were drafted should make much of a difference.  Bradbury being a1st round pick shouldn't prevent them from spending resources to improve the position if the value is there

so im just speaking strictly top half 1st round pick here. For example, if we had a young QB and he sucks, by all means, keeping spending those first round picks to hit on a QB because that position is ThAT important to team success. 

I'm basically just talking iOL and top half 1st round picks. 

9 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

1st round pick

2nd round pick

1st round pick

3rd round pick (Davis)

2nd round pick

Somehow Elflein got another contract with the Panthers, Remmers has not been awful on the Chiefs and that has been at tackle even....I think a major part is the coaching potentially.  Bad scouting yes but I was never a huge Bradbury fan that year but Vikings were desperate for a center but they took him assuming that athletic ability means power and it does not just means he is a good athlete, dude gets crushed with power.

Darrisaw is hard to read because he missed basically all of training came and got no preseason games but this year will really show if he is good or not.  O'Neill they clearly hit on, solid player, Udoh is really playing out of position at guard and is a RT and the LG Cleveland I guess is good enough and at least better than Udoh.

Sure drafting OL probably will not happen but if Penning is sitting there would be hard to pass on a potential pro bowl guard and RG is a massive need because Udoh is not the guy and they have not done anything in free agency to fill it either.  Maybe Wyatt Davis is that guy I would hope but hard to say because never saw him play last year at all.

With the LB core of Hunter, Hicks, Kendricks and Wonnum that is not awful.  Hunter back is huge and Phillips/Tomlinson/Watts is not awful either.  

Changes constantly with all the free agent moves changing team needs, but right now I have the Vikings taking Jordan Davis, used to have them going edge but with Hunter back edge is not as big of a need, and the top corners Stingley and Gardner are gone.  I guess McDuffie could be an option but Jordan Davis could be a monster in the NFL, seems motivated, is a character and clearly is committed to getting in better shape and it showed at the combine.  Not sure he could have put those times up during the season because honestly not sure he was in that good of shape, if he keeps that up watch out, having him as the NT with Tomlinson and Phillips as the DE they could have a very solid front 7.

Then I have them going corner with the next two picks a boundary corner and a slot corner.  

My draft preferences in order are CB Derek Stingley, CB Sauce Gardner, DT Jordan Davis, or trade back.  I don’t want a WR in the first round unless there’s a situation where Jameson Williams falls and we trade back into the first.  I also don’t want Tyler Linderbaum with our first pick because I would prefer to go defense.

7 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

My draft preferences in order are CB Derek Stingley, CB Sauce Gardner, DT Jordan Davis, or trade back.  I don’t want a WR in the first round unless there’s a situation where Jameson Williams falls and we trade back into the first.  I also don’t want Tyler Linderbaum with our first pick because I would prefer to go defense.

At this point I would totally agree with that, Gardner, then Stingley then Jordan Davis but I would also thrown in Jermaine Johnson and Travon Walker as well as since Atlanta traded Ryan maybe they go QB but Denver or the Jets or Giants could easily take Johnson and Walker no doubt about it but if not one of those guys could slide and would be of interest. 

Not sure Atlanta goes QB considering those available though.  

I would not mind trading down, would love to steal Daxton Hill and have him be the safety opposite Smith and he could play CB also potentially as well.  

48 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

At this point I would totally agree with that, Gardner, then Stingley then Jordan Davis but I would also thrown in Jermaine Johnson and Travon Walker as well as since Atlanta traded Ryan maybe they go QB but Denver or the Jets or Giants could easily take Johnson and Walker no doubt about it but if not one of those guys could slide and would be of interest. 

Not sure Atlanta goes QB considering those available though.  

I would not mind trading down, would love to steal Daxton Hill and have him be the safety opposite Smith and he could play CB also potentially as well.  

I would go with Stingley, Gardner, Walker, Karlaftis, Wyatt and Davis in that order. I’d be happy with any of those guys in the first round. Karlaftis might be the most likely choice. Adding him to our defense would be lethal.

18 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I would go with Stingley, Gardner, Walker, Karlaftis, Wyatt and Davis in that order. I’d be happy with any of those guys in the first round. Karlaftis might be the most likely choice. Adding him to our defense would be lethal.

March 29th in a big day, Purdue's pro day and I want to see Karlaftis run a 40.  

George Karlaftis

6-4 266
21 reps at 225
38" vertical
121 Broad jump
4.36 short shuttle
NA 40 yard dash

Boye Mafe

6-4 257
21 reps at 225
41.5" vertical
125 Broad jump
4.20 short shuttle
4.53 40 yard dash

Mafe is just as strong, has a better vertical, better broad jump and better short shuttle and my guess is a much better 40 time.  Also was a better player this past year that got more pressure on the QB and sacks, also had a great Senior bowl against top competition.  

Not sure George is worth a top 12 pick overall, and I still question his ability in a 3/4 when he is more a 4/3 DE.  If George is worth that high of a pick then Mafe is as well even though I do not have him as one either.  But fact is Mafe is possibly the better player and can bend the edge better and is more twitchy arguably.  George I thought disappointed this past year and did not live up to his ability and seemed a little different off that injury, and Travon Walker/Jermaine Johnson jumped him as prospect and so did Boye arguably.  

Also no way I take Wyatt or Karlaftis over Jordan Davis, I still say that dude is more conditioned now than he ever was on Georgia, that loss to Bama really made him change and who knows how great he could be with that new found explosiveness and stamina.  Something he did not always have on Georgia, but sure he will have to keep it up and continue that kind of preparation.  

CB makes the most sense at this date  because it is the biggest need and we haven’t made any FA moves yet. A WR like Garret Wilson does intrigue the heck out of me though. I like what we got out of Osborne last year, and ISM could develop nicely, but I don’t think it’s unrealistic to take a pessimistic view and see them as #3/4 receivers going forward. Grabbing someone like Wilson makes our 3 WR sets incredibly dynamic right away, and it pads us for the future without AT. The offense would be scary, or as least as scary as it could be with Cousins at QB (I don’t mean that as an outright slight, but I think we all know that Cousins has his limitations).