2022 Draft Talk

swede700

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I guess I am wrong on that, still not sure I would take him over Jordan Davis but sure they could have worse selections than McDuffie I guess.  

Trust me ozzy, I’ve been have inner battles with how I feel about Mcduffie this entire draft cycle. 

he has a lot of pluses as a prospect but he would definitely be an extreme outlier to succeed in the boundary as an nfl corner due to his sub 30 inch arms. 

it’s just that, everything else about him is excellent. 

9 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Trust me ozzy, I’ve been have inner battles with how I feel about Mcduffie this entire draft cycle. 

he has a lot of pluses as a prospect but he would definitely be an extreme outlier to succeed in the boundary as an nfl corner due to his sub 30 inch arms. 

it’s just that, everything else about him is excellent. 

It is just a hard evaluation, Washington was #1 by over 20 yards in the least amount of passing yards allowed per game in the nation this past year which was great.  But they were near the bottom in the nation in rush defense with almost over 200 yards allowed per game so clearly they were not challenged in the passing game and teams just ran on them and the team sucked and was 4-8.   Not to mention it was a pretty down year in the Pac-12 also so not like it was top of the line competition.  

The best QB Washington played was who?  Dorian Thompson-Robinson possibly and that is not saying much.  Or like when they played Michigan, sure McNamara only had 44 yards passing but that is because Michigan had 343 yards rushing and Michigan only attempted a pass 15 times.  So it is a tough one, McDuffie and Gordon get all this hype but were they really challenged much and if they are such great corners why did the team and D fail?  Bad offense, terrible offense really sure but it is a hard evaluation because of lack of attempts and competition played.  

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It is just a hard evaluation, Washington was #1 by over 20 yards in the least amount of passing yards allowed per game in the nation this past year which was great.  But they were near the bottom in the nation in rush defense with almost over 200 yards allowed per game so clearly they were not challenged in the passing game and teams just ran on them and the team sucked and was 4-8.   Not to mention it was a pretty down year in the Pac-12 also so not like it was top of the line competition.  

The best QB Washington played was who?  Dorian Thompson-Robinson possibly and that is not saying much.  Or like when they played Michigan, sure McNamara only had 44 yards passing but that is because Michigan had 343 yards rushing and Michigan only attempted a pass 15 times.  So it is a tough one, McDuffie and Gordon get all this hype but were they really challenged much and if they are such great corners why did the team and D fail?  Bad offense, terrible offense really sure but it is a hard evaluation because of lack of attempts and competition played.  

You can’t really stat sheet scout with Mcduffie. You really have to watch as many games as you can with him. I can only find 5 online. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Here’s a video to explain why Mcduffie is really good and does the things that don’t show up in the stat sheet 

53 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

You can’t really stat sheet scout with Mcduffie. You really have to watch as many games as you can with him. I can only find 5 online. 

I did not stat sheet scout him, I watched Washington a decent amount over the past three years and was never like wow that guy is amazing and is a top 15 pick, and I really did not think Gordon was did not even have him ranked.  Sure Gordon is a prospect worth ranking but neither one really stood out as being absolute superstar prospects.  I liked McDuffie just not as much as others do in terms of his upside.  Still for a CB needy team I guess he makes sense just his physical profile does not match a guy being picked that high.  Then again his movement skills are impressive and it is a pass happy league, I guess is he better than Dantzler at boundary corner, if so then yeah he should be taken.

Still this past year the competition he faced was not great and neither were the QBs so there is that.  

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I did not stat sheet scout him, I watched Washington a decent amount over the past three years and was never like wow that guy is amazing and is a top 15 pick, and I really did not think Gordon was did not even have him ranked.  Sure Gordon is a prospect worth ranking but neither one really stood out as being absolute superstar prospects.  I liked McDuffie just not as much as others do in terms of his upside.  Still for a CB needy team I guess he makes sense just his physical profile does not match a guy being picked that high.  Then again his movement skills are impressive and it is a pass happy league, I guess is he better than Dantzler at boundary corner, if so then yeah he should be taken.

Still this past year the competition he faced was not great and neither were the QBs so there is that.  

I’m not talking about casually watching the game, I’m talking about watching his tape and focusing on him the entirety of the play, and game. Yes, if you are just casually watching the games he’s probably not going to stand out because he’s not getting much action, which imo is a good thing. It’s like when you watch offenses and barely notice the o line because there aren’t any huge negative plays, same thing with corners imo. 

i think with Mcduffie you really have to watch him and him specifically.

57 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I’m not talking about casually watching the game, I’m talking about watching his tape and focusing on him the entirety of the play, and game. Yes, if you are just casually watching the games he’s probably not going to stand out because he’s not getting much action, which imo is a good thing. It’s like when you watch offenses and barely notice the o line because there aren’t any huge negative plays, same thing with corners imo. 

i think with Mcduffie you really have to watch him and him specifically.

True but he also did not play against many top receivers or many top QBs this past year and the team like I said sucked at run D.  So of course he was not challenged and played great and was rarely thrown against for those reasons, and the competition level was not great.  

I already said the best QB he possibly played all year and he was no 1st round pick maybe a mid round pick next year, and the best WR he played all year, I have no clue because he did not really play a top level WR all season yet they were still 4-8 despite being the best pass D in the nation on paper.  

Sure he had good game tape but sucks not seeing him against anyone that is really that good or is a NFL talent this past year.  The COVID year they did not play any top WRs either.  His FR year he did play some good teams and good receivers and QBs though.  

If we miss out on Sauce and Stingley, I would still be more than okay drafting McDuffie or Booth. Both of those guys are great players that would contribute immediately to the defense. I don't really worry about McDuffie's arms that much. His arms are just one part of the equation, and if you watch the film, he has succeeded on the outside almost his entire career. To me, his film is more important than the length of his arms.

To me, its reminiscent to Rashawn Slater falling because of his short arms. Obviously, that didn't matter in the end.

Edited by AP_allday2869

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Wouldn’t surprise me

What is he, CB#4 or #5 in this class. Certainly seems like a fair number for round one. I’m so far behind on draft prospects this year, just want multiple good CBs selected and some OL/DL help. The rest can figure itself out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

….how? Why? What about Gordon makes you put him above Mcduffie?

Gordon’s ball skills and hips are the main factor. Two pretty big things I focus on. McDuffie relied on instincts which are actually very great with him. I just think at the end of the day Gordon has a better shot at becoming something more than McDuffie. 

Life caught up to me a bit the past few months so I haven’t been “too Involved” in the twitter mock drafts, combine, pro days, and the podcast hero’s talks on the draft, but after the football season it was where I had him ranked. He was far enough ahead without injury I don’t think I could flip flop them.