2022 Draft Talk

swede700

8 hours ago, SouthernViking said:

Per his podcast, Darren wolfson said that Boye Mafe was in on a visit earlier this week.

Mafe is a local visit so that doesn’t count as a top 30. The other gopher d lineman was brought in too. I don’t really sense a theme there

Nearly every mock draft has the Jaguars taking either Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson or Georgia defensive end Travon Walker first overall. Jaguars General Manager Trent Baalke allowed Friday that the team is considering four players for the choice.

Baalke: “It’s a work in progress."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/22/jaguars-considering-four-players-with-no-1-overall-choice/

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d say yes. 

He’s a lot further along in his technique and coverage skills than both. 

Sure since Waynes was such a bust in the league it is easy to say yeah but honestly he was pretty damn good at Michigan State and was more productive and made more plays than McDuffie did at Washington.  Also Waynes was part of some successful teams at Michigan State, McDuffie was not at Washington.  And Waynes is an outside corner not sure McDuffie has proven he can do that or not.  Also not sure McDuffie is even better than Byron Murphy Jr a former Washington corner who made more plays and was more impactful than McDuffie and he was a 2nd round pick.

I would be ok with McDuffie but honestly if Jordan Davis is there and we take McDuffie a slot corner when we apparently just signed a slot corner in free agency, that might be a mistake.  

As another team I would be a lot more afraid of this lineup to go up against with Jordan Davis at NT than having McDuffie as the slot corner honestly.

DE H. Phillips
NT J. Davis
DE D. Tomlinson

OLB Z. Smith
ILB E. Kendricks
ILB J. Hicks
OLB D. Hunter

CB P. Peterson
CB C. Dantzler
Slot C. Sullivan
SS H. Smith
FS C. Bynum

DE H. Phillips
NT D. Tomlinson
DE A. Watts

OLB Z. Smith
ILB E. Kendricks
ILB J. Hicks
OLB D. Hunter

CB P. Peterson
CB C. Dantzler
Slot T. McDuffie
SS H. Smith
FS C. Bynum

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And Waynes is an outside corner not sure McDuffie has proven he can do that or not.

All Mcduffie has played at Washington is the boundary. In 2021, he had 12 slot snaps. In 2020, it was 6 slot snaps. 

he’s a true junior with 3 straight years of 80+ Pff grades in each year in college, predominantly playing the boundary. 

7 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

All Mcduffie has played at Washington is the boundary. In 2021, he had 12 slot snaps. In 2020, it was 6 slot snaps. 

he’s a true junior with 3 straight years of 80+ Pff grades in each year in college, predominantly playing the boundary. 

What did he play in 2019?  Arguably his best season and I believe it was slot corner that freshman year.  I still think picking him over Jordan Davis would be a massive mistake, McDuffie is good but again I would say Byron Murphy on Washington was better and more productive and he was a 2nd round pick.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What did he play in 2019?  Arguably his best season and I believe it was slot corner that freshman year.  I still think picking him over Jordan Davis would be a massive mistake, McDuffie is good but again I would say Byron Murphy on Washington was better and more productive and he was a 2nd round pick.  

20 slot snaps with 667 boundary snaps. 

like I said, he’s a proven boundary guy. He’s never really lived in the slot. His change of direction ability is way better than Wayne’s. Waynes coming out was faster in straight line speed. 

9 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

20 slot snaps with 667 boundary snaps. 

like I said, he’s a proven boundary guy. He’s never really lived in the slot. His change of direction ability is way better than Wayne’s. Waynes coming out was faster in straight line speed. 

I guess I am wrong on that, still not sure I would take him over Jordan Davis but sure they could have worse selections than McDuffie I guess.