What teams will be the top 5 defenses during the 2021 season?

CP3MVP

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

adam gase is gone, so how did the schedule get easier?

That's not my stat. I also used the word supposedly because I don't put a ton of stock in pre-season strength of schedule:

Here's the 2021 strength of schedule rankings for each team (combined 2020 record of all 17 opponents, combined winning percentage).   

RANK   OPPONENTS' COMBINED 2020 RECORD OPPONENTS' COMBINED 2020 WIN PERCENTAGE

Steelers

155-115-2

Ravens

152-118-2

Bears

149-122-1

Packers

147-124-1

Vikings

144-127-1

T-6

Bengals

144-128

T-6

Lions

143-127-2

Raiders

142-128-2

Browns

140-130-2

Rams    

140-132

T-11

Chiefs

138-132-2

T-11

Seahawks

139-133

T-13

Titans

138-134      

T-13

Cardinals

138-134

T-15

Washington

136-134-2

T-15

Texans

137-135

Chargers

133-137-2

Jaguars

133-138-1

T-19

49ers

132-138-2

T-19

Jets

132-138-2

T-19

Patriots

133-139

Saints

131-140-1

T-23

Bills

130-142

T-23

Colts

130-142

Giants

128-142-2

Panthers

128-143-1

T-27

Broncos

127-143-2

T-27

Dolphins

128-144

Buccaneers

126-145-1

Falcons

123-148-1

Cowboys

122-148-2

Eagles

117-155

On 5/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, Jeezla said:

Top 10 isn't the same as good. I think a lot of teams would finish top 10 in D with the Patriots annual cupcake schedule.

The Patriots had a tougher schedule than they will have this year. More likely than not they finish top 5 in points allowed.

The Patriots made big upgrades to their defense.

van Noy fits the system well and knows the franchise. Hightower is returning from opting out. They have young promising players in Uche and Dugger. Barmore and Perkins are good picks in my opinion as well. They have a pass rush now. And most importantly they are able to stop the run now with big guys like Barmore, Godchaux and Henry Anderson. They finished top 7 in scoring defense without being able to stop anyone in running the ball.

Corner is probably the biggest concern...

4 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Corner is probably the biggest concern..

Thankfully, they'll only have to worry about that position in their division against Buffalo. I think Tua and Wilson are both pretty lousy/will end up being lousy, but that's just me.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Thankfully, they'll only have to worry about that position in their division against Buffalo. I think Tua and Wilson are both pretty lousy/will end up being lousy, but that's just me.

wouldn't surprise me. Tua definitely has to prove a lot this year.

15 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

The Patriots made big upgrades to their defense.

van Noy fits the system well and knows the franchise. Hightower is returning from opting out. They have young promising players in Uche and Dugger. Barmore and Perkins are good picks in my opinion as well. They have a pass rush now. And most importantly they are able to stop the run now with big guys like Barmore, Godchaux and Henry Anderson. They finished top 7 in scoring defense without being able to stop anyone in running the ball.

Corner is probably the biggest concern...

This plus your schedule is why I got Pats in top 5. Seems a fairly obvious one to me, unless Gilmore or someone suffers a massive drop in form and you can't stop the pass

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 11:58 AM, Jeezla said:

Top 10 isn't the same as good. I think a lot of teams would finish top 10 in D with the Patriots annual cupcake schedule.

I dont get how you can claim cupcake schedule for Patriots when your team literally has the easiest schedule for the year in 2021 and plays in the worst division in the entire NFL. I am so confused by the premise of calling the AFC East cup cake schedule when you literally had 3 teams (Bills, Pats, and Dolphins) fighting to get to the playoffs come week 16 last year while having said to have the top 5 toughest schedule in the league in 2020. Nfc East was in the 20s and are now back in the 20s and 30s in 2021. So please clarify cupcake schedule, as I would like to know what you would call the Eagles schedule since they have the easiest in 2021?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-strength-of-schedule-rankings-ravens-and-steelers-have-it-easiest-patriots-face-roughest-ride/

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont get how you can claim cupcake schedule for Patriots when your team literally has the easiest schedule for the year in 2021 and plays in the worst division in the entire NFL. I am so confused by the premise of calling the AFC East cup cake schedule when you literally had 3 teams (Bills, Pats, and Dolphins) fighting to get to the playoffs come week 16 last year while having said to have the top 5 toughest schedule in the league in 2020. Nfc East was in the 20s and are now back in the 20s and 30s in 2021. So please clarify cupcake schedule, as I would like to know what you would call the Eagles schedule since they have the easiest in 2021?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-strength-of-schedule-rankings-ravens-and-steelers-have-it-easiest-patriots-face-roughest-ride/

The eagles also have a cupcake schedule

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Both teams improved quite a bit. Dolphins upgraded their weapons while the jets upgraded their coaching staff, their qb, their oline and offensive weapons. I dont expect them to be a massive threat in the AFC East this year but they have improved quite a bit. I think the Pats, Jets, and Phins will come down to their QB and whether they are NFL caliber QBs to have successful careers with their teams. It will be interesting to watch what these young guys do. Out of the 3 I think Wilson has the highest ceiling but the biggest bust potential of the 3. You know what Mac and Tua can do as Saban gets the best out of his players the question is will those 2 be able to transition it to the NFL level at the same caliber or were their careers already peaked at the College level. It will be interesting to find that out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

Both teams improved quite a bit. Dolphins upgraded their weapons while the jets upgraded their coaching staff, their qb, their oline and offensive weapons. I dont expect them to be a massive threat in the AFC East this year but they have improved quite a bit. I think the Pats, Jets, and Phins will come down to their QB and whether they are NFL caliber QBs to have successful careers with their teams. It will be interesting to watch what these young guys do. Out of the 3 I think Wilson has the highest ceiling but the biggest bust potential of the 3. You know what Mac and Tua can do as Saban gets the best out of his players the question is will those 2 be able to transition it to the NFL level at the same caliber or were their careers already peaked at the College level. It will be interesting to find that out. 

I don't think the Jets upgraded their QB at all. I'm an avid Wilson doubter and hater. As for the Dolphins upgraded weapons, where exactly outside of Waddle?

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't think the Jets upgraded their QB at all. I'm an avid Wilson doubter and hater. As for the Dolphins upgraded weapons, where exactly outside of Waddle?

Well doubting on a qb before he takes step on the field is opinion based and same can be said about all the qbs in the draft. He has the tools that show he is capable of taking it to the next level or he wouldnt have gone 2nd overall it is just a matter of whether he translate to the next level. Having them not making any push for winning records with Darnold I see this move as an upgrade simply because of that. People said Darnold was suppose to be one of the best qbs in the draft and that Allen was the most likely to bust and come to find out it is the opposite at the current stage of their career proves you cant judge someone before they hit the field. 

As for the dolphins they landed Fuller, and they get back Albert Wilson who opted out in 2020. Between those 2 and Waddle the corps itself has been upgraded to what they had last year in only having an injured Parker and Gesicki. 

Pats, Dolphins and Bills will be in contention for the playoffs based on improvements and the schedule went from the toughest in the league for a division to one of the easier ones being at the bottom half of the league. Last year the AFC North had 3 teams in the playoff cause of an easier schedule I expect to see the AFC East in a similar situation where at least 2 teams make it while the 3 is on the bubble.