Random Bears/NFL Thoughts - Preseason Edition

dll2000

How long before Fields starts?   I say he sits no more than 3 games and maybe none.  If it was me it would be none.  

I would put odds of full season of sitting like stated plan as almost nil.   Only way that happens is if Dalton has best season of his career.

Who blinks first in Rodgers/GB standoff?  My ideal scenario is they don’t trade him and he stays as an active moody cancer and decides not to give best effort.

Hilarous to me that GB fans for years would blast any person that brought up Rodgers relationship with his family and their threads are full of bringing that up now.  Hypocrites.  

Fields and Jenkins is my favorite Bears draft since 80s.  I think I may have thought long and hard about taking Mac if I was coach though.   Depends on my OC.  If Mac had a stronger arm I think he is a no brainer.  That extra .1 - 3 sec in air matters though at NFL level.  Makes him scary.     

Fields is the by far the easier player to coach with the higher floor though in current NFL.  I worry that he is going to get hurt PDQ with his run style.  

Everyone has praised Fields pick.  No one better come back here with told ya so’s if he busts unless they say it loud right now.

Carolina is quietly building a good football team.   If they upgrade O line a bit, they could be a surprise good team in short order.   Though if that happens Brady will be a hot HC prospect and that could derail things.

If SF QB isn’t awesome or really good Shannahan legacy is in a lot of trouble.   

Amazing how public opinion of Pace did a 180 pre and post draft.

• Like 2

Why are we keeping Mack, Hicks, Robinson etc. if we are going to play Dalton for a full season?

Might as well trade high priced or older talent or late contract talent for future picks wherever possible. 

But I don’t believe for a second plan is play Dalton all season.

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

How long before Fields starts?   I say he sits no more than 3 games and maybe none.  If it was me it would be none.  

I would put odds of full season of sitting like stated plan as almost nil.   Only way that happens is if Dalton has best season of his career.

Who blinks first in Rodgers/GB standoff?  My ideal scenario is they don’t trade him and he stays as an active moody cancer and decides not to give best effort.

Hilarous to me that GB fans for years would blast any person that brought up Rodgers relationship with his family and their threads are full of bringing that up now.  Hypocrites.  

Fields and Jenkins is my favorite Bears draft since 80s.  I think I may have thought long and hard about taking Mac if I was coach though.   Depends on my OC.  If Mac had a stronger arm I think he is a no brainer.  That extra .1 - 3 sec in air matters though at NFL level.  Makes him scary.     

Fields is the by far the easier player to coach with the higher floor though in current NFL.  I worry that he is going to get hurt PDQ with his run style.  

Everyone has praised Fields pick.  No one better come back here with told ya so’s if he busts unless they say it loud right now.

Carolina is quietly building a good football team.   If they upgrade O line a bit, they could be a surprise good team in short order.   Though if that happens Brady will be a hot HC prospect and that could derail things.

If OL isn't atrocious then I'd prefer to start right away (also assuming he isn't massively behind, but I'm confident he will be at least at an acceptable level just like the OL). My bet is week 5 he starts. Give him 1/4 of the season to see if Dalton has the offense rolling and to test the OL. If Dalton is meh at best and OL isn't the problem, time to give the kid reps.

Same

I hope neither blinks. I'd love to see the drama from the new QB getting critiqued, then people realizing Rodgers is absolutely the best QB in GB history. I'm admittedly bitter about it so I want them to enjoy the sour grapes, so to speak. Only legit vets remember the QB play pre-Favre, most have lived with HOF QB play like it was expected for the franchise.

IDK anything about the family, but I'm sure I'll eventually look into it. Rodgers may be an a**hat, but he's absolutely worth it and I do 100% feel GB did him dirty. You take defense in the first every year but then trade up to take his replacement? Wow. lol

I'm a Fields guy all day, I have zero ill will toward Mac but I'm a doubter. I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong.

Fields would get the Rodgers treatment from me. I'll bring someone in to teach him to slide. IDGAD. The "consultation fees" will be far less expensive to the franchise than missing him for 8 games with a fractured collarbone. I'd put incentives on his contract for slides if I had too. lol

Sig me. I love the pick. My only concern is Nagy, not Fields. Nagy is the biggest question mark for me for the team, I even have faith in Pace to get offensive talent moreso than I do Nagy to construct an offensive scheme.

Brady is a top guy for me as Nagy's potential replacement if he flounders this year. Him, Daboll, Leftwich are all high on my list.

I've got a few 49er friends who have hounded me about Tru and the trade up. I'm ready for Shanahans to fall!

Still have a number of concerns but this eased two of my biggest with him - can't identify talent at QB and OT. Seems he found both in one draft to boot. Hopefully he quits overpaying for band-aids at the position now and gets ARob extended. A few others he has had questionable choices, but if Kmet takes a step forward and Quinn really was just injured last year then he can shut me up for a good while. I hope either Nagy can thrive or get replaced, my question is if Pace would be too loyal to Nagy and let that bring down the franchise. Hopefully nothing but offseason head-cannon, this would be a hell of a time to take over the NFL North if Rodgers does flip the bird to GB. 

41 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So many people were like if Dalton is our starter on opening day I quit team forever!

Now same people are happy that Dalton is starting opening day.  

LOL

No one likes him as a starter who is supposed to lead them to the playoffs.

We all love him as the sacrificial lamb though if someone has to get beat behind a weak OL. He's getting paid enough to take the beating if someone has to. 😄

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think it'll be a bit more than that, I can see Dalton playing his heart out but the staff kinda getting that Fields is ready, my guess is game 6. 

Yeah, I think it's likely that Dalton plays competently, but I have the feeling that the team is going to know Fields is better a couple weeks before he starts. 

I don't know who blinks, but I know that I am enjoying it.  Worked in WI yesterday and couldn't help working in the obnoxious maximum of AR/GB references.  ie: " this boat needs to get out of this building as much as your QB wants out of your state"  "Lets get this on the crana asap,  it's next step is moving a cranky guy to Denver, happening soon!"  They LOVE me up there.  Honestly I think this is going to happen, if not  they're going to come up with some bonkers appeasement like firing the GM and putting up AR statues on every corner. 

Yes, yes, feel the hate flow through you. 

I think Mac is going to be average at best and takes the shine off the Belichik legacy.  Call me out in 4 years if wrong. 

Literally the only/best arguments I've heard for Fields busting "because the Bears can't make QBs good" and "Theres some stuff Allbright knows about why Denver passed on him."   There is another rumor the bad **** Allbright knows about why Denver passed is actually all about Rodgers, and to the first point, well, bad luck is statistically obligated to break sometime. 

Yeah,  it was a confident or arrogant move depending on your point of view.  I remain extemely puzzled about their public shenanigans before the draft through, regarding who they'd pick and the AR trade.  Would not be confidence inspiring if I were a 9ers fan. 

Yeah, my opinion of Pace was pretty set in stone, and frankly I'm feeling quite different.  My one big question (how long are these clowns here for?) has definitely been answered. None of these were play out the string moves,  dogs are off the leash.  Especially the Leno release, you don't do that if you can't handle the possible adversity. 

Treated this like a work email! 

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

By in large folks around GB tend to be very conservative and move as a single mass at times.  They're very blue collar so constant whining and acting all butt hurt for not being given an Asst GM hat and more say in personnel decisions will not be taken well.  The slant is far more; you get paid very well to win championships and not getting it done.  You're also under contract for 3 more years so stop bitchin' and win.

Collectively they run more to their female side which is to say once they're done with you they're done.  It's an irreconcilable deal from which there is little or no chance of a change of heart.  They eventually had it with Brett Favre's indecision and game playing each spring and Favre was far more liked than Rodgers is.  Rodgers never even attempted to become part of Green Bay as much as Favre and others have.

When my daughters who bleed cheese both turn against Rodgers I know he's finally gone one step too far this time.  Whether he stays or goes he's worn out his welcome and his fan base will continue to dwindle while many will jump on the Jordan Love train and hope LaFleur can turn him into the next All Pro QB in a long line of them.  I don't count that out either.  GB seems to be a magnet for QBs.

Edited by soulman

For 5 years we have heard about Pace getting suckered in trade to 49ers and maybe he did.

But no one ever talks about fact that they passed on Mahomes too and instead drafted Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster in first round.  

Maybe their QB turns out great, but there is no way in my mind that that massive trade was necessary to get that particular player.

Edited by dll2000
Typo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

With all Pizza talk at end of draft thread, I realize I am a pizza snob.

I pretty much don’t like pizza outside of Chicago or New York.  Never been to Italy.

I won’t even buy or eat it in South.  

I am the same way.  Everytime I try and order pizza here in Virginia it makes me want to cry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They give you tracking goof.  

This one may be a hand off to the USPS so if they say it's out for delivery it's at least 95% certain.

Amazon seldom misses their mark around my place.  There are a ton of Amazon buyers in this building too.

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

With all Pizza talk at end of draft thread, I realize I am a pizza snob.

I pretty much don’t like pizza outside of Chicago or New York.  Never been to Italy.

I won’t even buy or eat it in South.  

I am so damn lucky to have that Jimano's just 5 minutes away.  Without them there is no other true to form Chicago style pizza joint I know of around here anywhere.  There are a couple of good places but they aren't what I call thin crust Chicago style pizza.

Jimano's does great Eyetalian Beef Samiches and a rib special on Wednesday nights too.  Both are excellent.  Only place around you can get a can of Old Style too.....LOL.

• Like 1