Jump to content

Random Bears/NFL Thoughts - Preseason Edition


Recommended Posts

On 6/6/2021 at 4:50 PM, Heinz D. said:

"Some evaluators wonder if he has the quickness to handle that side of the ball". 

Really? ("He" meaning Jenkins.) Which "evaluators" are those? I haven't seen much to back that assessment up. I HAVE seen a bunch of Leno apologists whining about his release on the internet, though. In pieces similar to that one. 

Also...Leno, "underrated"? I mean, good lord. Do these people watch football? 

i remember reading an article or seeing a video clip and whoever it was said he wasn't a good athlete...completely ignoring the fact that his RAS score (or whatever that thing was that floated around pre draft) had him as one of the most athletic tackles in all aspects to come out since 2011

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HuskieBear said:

i remember reading an article or seeing a video clip and whoever it was said he wasn't a good athlete...completely ignoring the fact that his RAS score (or whatever that thing was that floated around pre draft) had him as one of the most athletic tackles in all aspects to come out since 2011

i found it with .2 seconds of searching

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i found it with .2 seconds of searching

 

@Heinz D.

Because talking heads or writers are either too lazy to actually watch people, especially galling since it their job and not a hobby AND they have easy access to All-22 cut ups and don't have to rely on youtube, or maybe they have no idea what they are looking at when they watch it or both.

 Numbers above are relatively objective athletic measurements.  As objective as data gets. 

But lazy analysis is well ... he played RT so obviously Jenkins is slow or a lessor athlete and cannot play LT.    And some analytics company like PFF says Leno is perfectly average.   That combination as created the narrative that Bears screwed up big time in releasing Leno without discussing cap savings.   

But no one asks how did they gather the data that says he is a perfectly average OT in NFL?   From what people who have done it say:   It is low paid College kids or recent grads watching games in real time and quickly writing down a number score for each play which is translated into a grade.

OL is arguably most nuanced position in football and perhaps all of sports aside from QB.   It is really difficult to properly assess.   Nothing could go wrong overweighting those grades. 

The grades are probably okay and not so far off, but I would say there is a rather sizeable margin of error in either direction using that method of data collection.    

If you want to say relying on rookie LT is a big risk that is fine, but an overpaid Leno or a declining Massie wasn't the answer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

@Heinz D.

Because talking heads or writers are either too lazy to actually watch people, especially galling since it their job and not a hobby AND they have easy access to All-22 cut ups and don't have to rely on youtube, or maybe they have no idea what they are looking at when they watch it or both.

 Numbers above are relatively objective athletic measurements.  As objective as data gets. 

But lazy analysis is well ... he played RT so obviously Jenkins is slow or a lessor athlete and cannot play LT.    And some analytics company like PFF says Leno is perfectly average.   That combination as created the narrative that Bears screwed up big time in releasing Leno without discussing cap savings.   

But no one asks how did they gather the data that says he is a perfectly average OT in NFL?   From what people who have done it say:   It is low paid College kids or recent grads watching games in real time and quickly writing down a number score for each play which is translated into a grade.

OL is arguably most nuanced position in football and perhaps all of sports aside from QB.   It is really difficult to properly assess.   Nothing could go wrong overweighting those grades. 

The grades are probably okay and not so far off, but I would say there is a rather sizeable margin of error in either direction using that method of data collection.    

If you want to say relying on rookie LT is a big risk that is fine, but an overpaid Leno or a declining Massie wasn't the answer.

CrVy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, blkwdw13 said:

A lot of places like that don’t allow you to even have your phone with you while you work. 

I've had to check my phone at the door when visiting a few customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just clicked on an ad for a cool looking bike, pedal bike mind you, that said used 67% off.

Was thinking wow I might by that.   I could use a new bike.

It was close to $7,000.   LOL

What?  $7k for a used pedal bike?   What am I going to compete in Tour de France with it?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Just clicked on an ad for a cool looking bike, pedal bike mind you, that said used 67% off.

Was thinking wow I might by that.   I could use a new bike.

It was close to $7,000.   LOL

What?  $7k for a used pedal bike?   What am I going to compete in Tour de France with it?

 

 

Dude you’re saving like $14,000, that’s a hell of a deal!  Buy it now while you still can!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Just clicked on an ad for a cool looking bike, pedal bike mind you, that said used 67% off.

Was thinking wow I might by that.   I could use a new bike.

It was close to $7,000.   LOL

What?  $7k for a used pedal bike?   What am I going to compete in Tour de France with it?

$7K is a lot of wings, steak and beer...

 

I'd invest in my waistline first. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sugashane said:

$7K is a lot of wings, steak and beer...

 

I'd invest in my waistline first. 

I like riding but I`m with you.  Spend $400 on a decent bike and the rest on goodies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2021 at 3:49 PM, dll2000 said:

Just clicked on an ad for a cool looking bike, pedal bike mind you, that said used 67% off.

Was thinking wow I might by that.   I could use a new bike.

It was close to $7,000.   LOL

What?  $7k for a used pedal bike?   What am I going to compete in Tour de France with it?

 

 

Dude, how the hell are you still seeing ads in 2021 lol? I come across this all the time and it still baffles me. I haven't seen a single ad on any site for like 15 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Dude, how the hell are you still seeing ads in 2021 lol? I come across this all the time and it still baffles me. I haven't seen a single ad on any site for like 15 years.

Thanks man.   I didn’t even realize there were solutions or think about it really.  Guess tech keeps passing me by.   

Much better now.  

I don’t think I want to do gamepass this year as my streaming services are adding up now.  

Can people DM me ways to watch networks live without cable/satellite or the expensive Hulu version?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Thanks man.   I didn’t even realize there were solutions or think about it really.  Guess tech keeps passing me by.   

Much better now.  

Just for full transparency to possibly help others reading this....installing ublock orgin is always the first thing I do after installing any OS. 

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

NOT adblock or UBLOCK...but ublock origin. There's a big difference. Adblock and Ublock accept payments from 3rd parties in order to put be whitelisted and so you'll still see ads here and there. Unblock origin you won't. The person who maintains Unblock Orgin was initally a lead developer for Ublock and fell out with them after they started accepting "bribes" and so he started his own........UBLOCK ORIGIN.

I strongly suggest everyone have this extension installed.

I don't see any ads on any site. Even "free movies" by youtube. I don't have to watch an ad every 5 minutes to watch em.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2021 at 10:52 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Dude, how the hell are you still seeing ads in 2021 lol? I come across this all the time and it still baffles me. I haven't seen a single ad on any site for like 15 years.

nbc sports recently started requiring ad blockers be turned off to get to their site. now whenever i'm there, an ad will appear and take up half the screen and i have to wait for it to disappear. that's on top of all the other ads. 

that site as a whole has gone downhill - they got rid of a lot of their writers/bloggers and now just pull "stories" from the AP. they also recently removed the MLB tab from their top links - putting it under a "more" category. sports that are available via quicklink include olympics, nascar, motors, soccer, golf.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...