Random Bears/NFL Thoughts - Preseason Edition

dll2000

21 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

When have you ever heard of anything remotely like this happening haha

Its just alot going on here

literally all the time...?

and by "a lot" do you mean the depth chart without miller and the depth chart with harry at TE?

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

literally all the time...?

and by "a lot" do you mean the depth chart without miller and the depth chart with harry at TE?

Agreed.

Kelvin Benjamin was one that recently had this popped up. From college to pros it is super common too. We have Horsted who is doing it, Burton was a QB in college turned RB, Desmond Clark was a WR turned TE, sometimes you even have big guys like Kyle Turley who lose weigh to try and become a TE. Logan Thomas is a QB turned TE, Pryor a QB turned WR, etc.

Its fairly common to switch positions. Inside groups it is even more common (OT to OG, ILB to OLB per system needs, CBs to FS who have speed or COD issues, etc).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed.

Kelvin Benjamin was one that recently had this popped up. From college to pros it is super common too. We have Horsted who is doing it, Burton was a QB in college turned RB, Desmond Clark was a WR turned TE, sometimes you even have big guys like Kyle Turley who lose weigh to try and become a TE. Logan Thomas is a QB turned TE, Pryor a QB turned WR, etc.

Its fairly common to switch positions. Inside groups it is even more common (OT to OG, ILB to OLB per system needs, CBs to FS who have speed or COD issues, etc).

I guess I should have used the word "working"? haha

4 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I guess I should have used the word "working"? haha

Hey a number of those have worked out pretty well. Some better than people we drafted in their natural spots, for better or worse. Lol

In the same line of thinking, I really wish we could have seen a full career of David Pollack. Solid freshman DT prospect in college, moves to DE to help the team and becomes a top DE in college, them drafted by CIN and he gets moves to OLB. I still believe he would have had a career much like Clay Matthews (had he been OLB the whole time instead of having to move it ILB for years), Justin Houston, or Simeon Rice. 

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I was going to say... there are several recent examples of college S turned pro LB. Shaq Thompson, Isaiah Simmons...

It happens often but people tend to forget about most em after the draft (myself included).

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Who? That guy hasn't even been in the league for almost 10 years...

That's only because he couldn't hack it. Playing LB in the NFL at the age of 35 is easy. It's even easier while playing for an organization that just treated you like crap after being the face for the last decade and a half.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 1:09 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Urlacher was a safety turned LB and we seen how his career went.

Urlacher was this huge guy, but he didn’t have a good block defeating skill set due to playing safety prior to NFL.

They started him at Sam because he was big and he wasn’t good there.  He couldn’t get off blocks especially early in his career.   He was best when he had two huge block eating DTs in front of him and he would tell you that.  

He even always struggled with FBs on ISOs though he got a lot better at it later in his career.  That Detroit FB gave him fits.  

What he was, was a uniquely gifted Tampa 2 cover LB due to his safety background, speed and height.  And he could defeat plays sideline to sideline in run game with his speed.  

Another example of taking what someone is good at and utilizing that skill in your scheme.  Rather than ramming them into somewhere they don’t belong or aren’t going to do well because they look the part.

You can’t just take big WRs, basketball players or OTs and make them TEs as much as you want to and it makes sense to do so.  Or more accurately you can’t do it quickly because they struggle at blocking or in case of OTs at running routes and catching.

It takes a lot of years of doing something to be good at it or a few years and a lot of reps and coaching  Which is why you can do it in college better.  In college a back up can go live 4x a week with other back ups being trained by asst. coaches  

They don’t do that in NFL.

The NFL sucks at development and position changes because there aren’t enough live practice reps during season and coaches are focused on starters. 

There is no farm system.  There are no good live reps to be had in season.  You get August basically and that keeps getting chopped.  

If just one team found a good way to develop guys in season they would have a really nice advantage.  A lot of rules just prohibit it though.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 1:09 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Urlacher was a safety turned LB and we seen how his career went.

If you want a blast from the past what about Big Cat Williams?  A DT in  collage who signed as a free agent in 1991 and switched to RT after a couple of years and started there for the next 8 years.   

• Like 2

Alex Gibbs died.   Big influence on me as a youth/middle school coach.

In early days of internet i tried to find anything he was in seminar or teaching wise and read stuff he wrote.

After head coach I maintain that the OL coach is most important hire you can make.   At any level of football.

A great OL coach is worth his weight in gold to a team.

• Like 4

Alex Gibbs had a lot to do with the Broncos finally acquiring a run game to go along with Elway's passing which won them two Super Bowls.

I look at his zone blocking schemes having had nearly as much impact on the Broncos offense as Buddy Ryan's 46 Defense had on the Bears Super Bowl run.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:50 PM, Bfan said:

If you want a blast from the past what about Big Cat Williams?  A DT in  collage who signed as a free agent in 1991 and switched to RT after a couple of years and started there for the next 8 years.   

I always thought Big Cat retired too early. (I don't think I was forgetting any injuries, or anything...)