Random Bears/NFL Thoughts - Preseason Edition

dll2000

On 6/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, dll2000 said:

So I bought a pixar phone, always had an iphone before.

Kinda creeping me out because I leave google assistant on and it is obviously listening to me all time because my ads on facebook or anywhere are really tailored to whatever I talk about aloud.

So as I am typing that I just realized I put out a softball over the plate set up with that one.  Who wants to tell  me what ads I am seeing?

Sounds like a feature that someone who works for a defense contractor would really need to turn off when at work😰

I used to work for an aerospace company and in my "spare time" I was an export control focal for them.  If we gave foreign customers a tour we had to make sure they did not even see some pieces of equipment even when all they would have seen was a metal box that looked like it contained electronics.  I can't even imagine the possible export violations if google assistant was listening in on some meetings 😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bfan said:

Sounds like a feature that someone who works for a defense contractor would really need to turn off when at work😰

I used to work for an aerospace company and in my "spare time" I was an export control focal for them.  If we gave foreign customers a tour we had to make sure they did not even see some pieces of equipment even when all they would have seen was a metal box that looked like it contained electronics.  I can't even imagine the possible export violations if google assistant was listening in on some meetings 😱

It’s a brave new world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bfan said:

A lot of places like that don’t allow you to even have your phone with you while you work. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Twitter whining about Leno again.  

"Some evaluators wonder if he has the quickness to handle that side of the ball". 

Really? ("He" meaning Jenkins.) Which "evaluators" are those? I haven't seen much to back that assessment up. I HAVE seen a bunch of Leno apologists whining about his release on the internet, though. In pieces similar to that one. 

Also...Leno, "underrated"? I mean, good lord. Do these people watch football? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

"Some evaluators wonder if he has the quickness to handle that side of the ball". 

Really? ("He" meaning Jenkins.) Which "evaluators" are those? I haven't seen much to back that assessment up. I HAVE seen a bunch of Leno apologists whining about his release on the internet, though. In pieces similar to that one. 

Also...Leno, "underrated"? I mean, good lord. Do these people watch football? 

Sounds like the same kind of "some people say" BS we used to hear coming from TFG and now from certain members of the press during WH pressers.  Funny thing is when asked for specific names they never seem to have one.

It's that time of the year when the NFL media is also struggling to remain relevant and there's not much of substance to write about.

I think the days when it required a much different type of OT to handle the LT spot have passed.  Some of the NFL's best edge guys line up at LDE or LOLB so no matter which side you play an OT will be facing great edge rushers.

The point is a simple one.  Leno was no longer worth what it cost to keep him and his run blocking has always been below average.  So we drafted a bigger kid whose a mauler in the run game and we hope he can pass block too.

I give heaps of credit to Leno for turning his 7th round draft status into a long and productive NFL career but he's never been more than an average to may slightly above average pass blocker and a below average run blocker.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Off topic but the Titans picked up Julio Jones for a 2022 2nd and a 2023 4th.  Tennessee also gets a 2023 6th.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/07/mmqb-what-you-need-to-know-about-julio-jones-trade-daily-cover

Article on trade and what was offered.

I find it funny that Vrabel spoke to Saban multiple times to learn about Jones.

Jones is 32.  Unless he has some serious arrested development he is nothing remotely like the person he was in college.

Heck, I am very different to who I was when I was 32.

Maybe he didn’t just speak to Saban, but I still found it funny.  I wouldn’t even waste time talking to a college coach about a guy in his 30s.   

I would have been speaking to recent AC’s no longer with Falcons and recent players.

Edited by dll2000
Article didn’t link
  • Like 1

Jones is also a dude who wants to redo his contract every other year.

More power to him because Falcons kept agreeing to do so.  Maybe more guys who are playing well should do that.  

I guess squeaky mouse gets his cheese.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/07/mmqb-what-you-need-to-know-about-julio-jones-trade-daily-cover

Article on trade and what was offered.

I find it funny that Vrabel spoke to Saban multiple times to learn about Jones.

Jones is 32.  Unless he has some serious arrested development he is nothing remotely like the person he was in college.

Heck, I am very different to who I was when I was 32.

Maybe he didn’t just speak to Saban, but I still found it funny.  I wouldn’t even waste time talking to a college coach about a guy in his 30s.   

I would have been speaking to recent AC’s no longer with Falcons and recent players.

Pretty informative as to the inner workings and time frame surrounding the trade itself.

We can all gain some insight from reading about how stuff like this goes down in the front offices and how it can give us some insights into how GMs think and deal with each other.

We got some insight into this from the Bears site as it dealt with the trade up for Fields and it's good to know this stuff if we want to understand the thinking and the limitations of the guys who pull the levers on these trades.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Jones is also a dude who wants to redo his contract every other year.

More power to him because Falcons kept agreeing to do so.  Maybe more guys who are playing well should do that.  

I guess squeaky mouse gets his cheese.  

I have somewhat mixed feelings about that since a contract is a contract yet if a player is signed to a long term deal which benefits the team via being to spread his signing bonus out over the life of the contract they do open themselves up to potential requests for salary increases over the term of the deal as well.

It's an odd marketplace for the average fan to understand since very few of us are employed subject to such a long term contract and even lacking one entirely if we as employees exceed our targets we also expect bonuses or a significant raise.  I suppose it can become a nightmare for NFL GMs and their cap guys though.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

The best part is to claim how good he is they use a pic of him getting his QB crushed. 

The irony is like some damned art. 

LOLOL......hadn't noticed that 'til you pointed it out.  Good catch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

The best part is to claim how good he is they use a pic of him getting his QB crushed. 

The irony is like some damned art. 

But he’s better than anything the Bears have, it’s only going to get worse.