Roster Projection: WR and TE

WindyCity

WR [6]: Robinson, Mooney, Miller, Newsome, Goodwin, Byrd

This group has a few interesting decisions as they have added some serious cheap speed and a draft pick in Newsome. I think the top 3 are who we think they are. They were unable to trade MIller so we should see what he can do with real QB play and perhaps he has a Kyle Fuller like turn around.

Javon Wims can get launched into the sun for all I care. The real battle will be Ridley vs Goodwin and Byrd. I am giving it to Goodwin and Byrd as they have actually done something in the NFL and have an elite trait that Ridley does not.

Short Term: This is a good group with a true #1 a good #2 and way more speed than the past.

Long Term: The only players under contract beyond this season are Mooney and Newsome. The Bears need to get something done with Robinson, otherwise next offseason could be a lot of turnover at this position, which we do not need.

TE [3]: Kmet, Graham, Holtz

I was a little surprised that Graham made it through the salary cap purge, but they do not have anyone who can really replace him and he is a good redzone target. The Bears need more from Kmet as a reciever if they are going to go with more spread, his blocking is already a plus. Holtz makes it as the backup TE and FB.

Short Term: A little light on depth.

Long Term: They need a cost-effective U TE, how big of a need will be determined by how much Kmet grows  as a pass catcher. 

• Like 2

WR...Robinson...Mooney...Byrd...Wims...Miller...Newsome...

Top two guys are locks and clear starters...I think Byrd will take the slot spot fairly comfortably due to his experience and performance last season in NE...after that things get tricky...I suspect we still keep Miller but I would love to be able to trade him out to a receiver needy team in exchange of a pick for next year or indeed a #3 TE...Newsome being newly drafted makes the team...then it's a shoot out between Wims/Ridley/Goodwin...I personally would take Goodwin out of the running right away because I feel if you keep the other 5 guys outside of Robinson we really lack physicality...I think we need stronger guys who can play outwide as Byrd, Newsome and even Miller & Mooney all project better inside...here I think we keep Wims as he was on the field more last season than Ridley.

TE...Kmet...Graham...Horsted...Holtz (FB/H-Back)...

Again the top two guys are clear locks and should help out all the QBs we have...Horsted is a solid option as a move guy and as much as I would prefer a more well rounded TE to be our #3 guy he is the best option...I see Holtz being kept as a #4 TE/FB/H-Back...he is a key special teamer as well.

I can’t see them keeping Wims. The ejection, the playoff drop, he just has never taken the next step.

I suspect they would keep Ridley over him.

I wouldn’t rule Goodwin out. Elite speed and precious production coupe make him an ideal backup. I don’t think the Bears are concerned about size at WR... I think they will use the TEs for that of Robinson is injured.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I can’t see them keeping Wims. The ejection, the playoff drop, he just has never taken the next step.

I suspect they would keep Ridley over him.

I wouldn’t rule Goodwin out. Elite speed and precious production coupe make him an ideal backup. I don’t think the Bears are concerned about size at WR... I think they will use the TEs for that of Robinson is injured.

I would have no issue releasing Wims and replacing him with another WR but it has to be someone who adds physicality on the outside...I don't think this just comes down to size but toughness and like I said physicality...I don't see a lot of that in this group and it is a clear focus for Pace.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I would have no issue releasing Wims and replacing him with another WR but it has to be someone who adds physicality on the outside...I don't think this just comes down to size but toughness and like I said physicality...I don't see a lot of that in this group and it is a clear focus for Pace.

I don’t think it is in the WR code. They seem to be solely focused on speed at the moment.

On the OL, I agree, but they seem to want to make the WR core a track team.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think it is in the WR code. They seem to be solely focused on speed at the moment.

I don't think just having a track team works at the pro level...even the Chiefs still have physicality behind some of their receivers and obviously the massive advantage of Kelce basically being a huge WR...I just remember back to that playoff game with Philly where they pressed our receivers out the game...can't have that happening again so a varied group of receivers is the way to go IMO. 

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Your saying they are solely focused on speed but that's you predicting Wims and Ridley bring taken off, on top of cutting the other guys....Goodwin can still be cut and Newsome just being a returner is fine with me

Honestly I'd like to see REAL competition across the board after ARob. Mooney I expect to win the 2 easily but I want to see all others get a fair shake. Rookies, FAs, unproven guys like Ridley, converts to the position like Cohen, etc.

You have 3 QBs who are getting paid well or are a major investment, get value from the other two and get a real competition through the group. You have little time so play fast and get reps. 

My guess- 

ARob, Mooney, Byrd, Goodwin, (Cohen), Newsome, Ridley

Byrd, Goodwin, and Cohen allow Miller to be traded. 

My concern with the TE group is the blocking. Kmet was better than I expected but still has a long way to go to be a GOOD blocker. Holtz took a big step back it seemed. Graham and Horsted are WRs playing TE. 

We got rid of one liability on the OL for OZ when we cut Leno, but still don't see anyone who I am sure will get that critical block. 

Wims is gone.  It’s too bad, because I think he is actually a lower tier NFL WR talentwise.  Numbers don’t work out for him.  

Things just got really real for Miller.

They tried to ship him out, they brought in two of FA WRs that are very likely to make roster in Byrd and Goodwin and drafted another one has well - though being a 6th rounder they will probably throw him on practice squad unless he has an amazing camp.

See if this lights a fire under him because he is legit starting NFL WR talent.  

Ditto Ridley though he has less natural talent.  Miller and Ridley are in a serious roster fight.   

So Robinson and Mooney are unquestioned 1 and 2.  Byrd is favorite for 3 at moment.   Bears probably are keeping 7.

I think if Miller doesn’t get traded he is staying and a roster lock.  Might be they try highlight him and then trade him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Top two guys are locks and clear starters...I think Byrd will take the slot spot fairly comfortably due to his experience and performance last season in NE.

I’m pretty sure I read that Byrd was almost exclusively an outside receiver for NE. Like 97% of his snaps or something like that. Wouldn’t be a big deal as both ARob and Mooney have played in the slot and done well there too. I agree though he would seem to have somewhat of an inside track on reps, though Nagy & Co. will need to determine if he produced career highs last year because he broke out a little, or because he was the best of a bunch of bad options in NE. The contract suggests more of the latter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m pretty sure I read that Byrd was almost exclusively an outside receiver for NE. Like 97% of his snaps or something like that. Wouldn’t be a big deal as both ARob and Mooney have played in the slot and done well there too. I agree though he would seem to have somewhat of an inside track on reps, though Nagy & Co. will need to determine if he produced career highs last year because he broke out a little, or because he was the best of a bunch of bad options in NE. The contract suggests more of the latter. 

Even better that he has the ability to play outside because that means we could see Mooney inside where I think he could be exceptional.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Even better that he has the ability to play outside because that means we could see Mooney inside where I think he could be exceptional.

I can definitely see he, Byrd and/or Goodwin being used similarly to how KC tries to use Mecole Hardman. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah Byrd was NE's #2....his role is basically Mooney insurance....while Mooney had a surprising rookie year he is far from proven.....lets be clear, he is a 5th round sophmore....nothing is really guaranteed

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Yeah Byrd was NE's #2....his role is basically Mooney insurance....while Mooney had a surprising rookie year he is far from proven.....lets be clear, he is a 5th round sophmore....nothing is really guaranteed

Mooney Plays W1-4

2:13 (incompletion): miss by Foles; a better throw is a 33-yd TD 

3:01 (incompletion): bad miss by Foles negates a gain of 5+

3:26 (incompletion): terrible miss by Foles. An average throw gains 35. A good throw is probably an 84-yd TD.

3:43 (incompletion): bad throw by Foles misses a wide open Mooney for a 22-yd gain.

Mooney Plays W5-7

0:17 (incompletion): Mooney behind the D by 5 yards; Foles misses a 52-yd TD 

0:42 (incompletion): Underthrown deep ball by Foles on a 50/50 ball 40 yards down the field 

2:13 (incompletion): Mooney breaks open behind the DB and Foles misses him for 45+

2:33 (incompletion): Mooney breaks open early on a double move and Foles misses. Foles under pressure, but a good throw gets 30-85 yds.

The guy who put together these cuts didn’t do the 2nd half of the season, but that’s almost 400 potential yards missed just thru week 7 to Mooney just on QB misses. Hit even half of those and we’re talking about a borderline 1000 yard rookie season. I’m all for guarded optimism, but Mooney stands to see the biggest spike in production with Fields under center of any of our players. 

• Like 1