History of Vikings Uniforms

http://wearefanatics.com/evolution-minnesota-vikings-jersey/

Well, we are in that strange and silent part of the year for football fans...Post-Draft and Pre-Training Camp.  I suppose we could watch what the rookie draft choices and when they actually sign their contracts...to me that's a lot like watching paint dry.  

The above link is a history and description of the Minnesota Vikings uniforms over the years, and the changes made to the jerseys.  There is a pretty neat graphic that illustrates the various uniforms through the years.  In my opinion, the Vikings have a history of pretty conservative changes.  However, what is noticeable is the changes in the shade of purple used.  Where the shoulder/arm strips are located, and the modern/ancient look to the numbers.

Do you have a favorite look?  For me, that original 1961 uniform is the best.   

I grew up with the traditional look that they had throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s, so those are my personal favorites, but I wish we could just erase the Childress era uniforms from the history.  This current version is light-years better than those, and if we couldn't go back to the traditional ones, these are just fine as a replacement.  If they could match the current helmet with the traditional unis, that would be my ideal.

Interesting that they didn't include the era when they had the white facemasks.  I prefer the old school uniforms with just the white numbers as well as the deep purple color over some of the shades that are lighter and have a bluish tint.   Not a fan of the black facemasks.

16 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Interesting that they didn't include the era when they had the white facemasks.  I prefer the old school uniforms with just the white numbers as well as the deep purple color over some of the shades that are lighter and have a bluish tint.   Not a fan of the black facemasks.

I always loved it back in the day when they would play the Giants and you had no idea which team was which because they both looked blue on TV.  🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I grew up with the traditional look that they had throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s, so those are my personal favorites, but I wish we could just erase the Childress era uniforms from the history.  This current version is light-years better than those, and if we couldn't go back to the traditional ones, these are just fine as a replacement.  If they could match the current helmet with the traditional unis, that would be my ideal.

I didn't think the Childress era ones were bad at the time,  but now when I go back they are bad.  Far too busy and the side stripes never quite matched up or looked nice

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I didn't think the Childress era ones were bad at the time,  but now when I go back they are bad.  Far too busy and the side stripes never quite matched up or looked nice

there was too much white in that color scheme. it should have been an accent trim color, not one of the main motifs.

I love the current look. I think the matte helmets are perfect for this football team. The only thing that I’d change is that I’d get rid of the gimmicky sail effect on the numbers and just use the standard font, like they do with the single number jerseys. 

But the purple pants need to die. Purple on white and white on white should be the only options. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I love the current look. I think the matte helmets are perfect for this football team. The only thing that I’d change is that I’d get rid of the gimmicky sail effect on the numbers and just use the standard font, like they do with the single number jerseys. 

But the purple pants need to die. Purple on white and white on white should be the only options. 

I don't mind the sail front because I think it's fairly subtle.

Absolutely agree on the white on white.  Maybe save purple pants for the color rush but that's it.

17 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Easily our worst uniform in Vikings history.

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I don't mind the sail front because I think it's fairly subtle.

Absolutely agree on the white on white.  Maybe save purple pants for the color rush but that's it.

I think the color rush uniforms league wide need to be gathered up and burned as a sacrifice to some angry deity.  I also think that if there are going to be throwback uniforms, the teams should have to play in the uniforms of their first season in the league.  Which means the Packers, Bears, Lions, Eagles will have to play wearing leather helmets and no face masks!!!!  😁

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think the color rush uniforms league wide need to be gathered up and burned as a sacrifice to some angry deity.  I also think that if there are going to be throwback uniforms, the teams should have to play in the uniforms of their first season in the league.  Which means the Packers, Bears, Lions, Eagles will have to play wearing leather helmets and no face masks!!!!  😁

Can the Steelers and Eagles be forced to join together again so we can relive the era of the Phil-Pitt Steagles?

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Also get rid of the one shell rule for real throwback designs.  Auction off the helmets after if you want but there's no reason college teams can use multiple helmets but not NFL teams.

12 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Also get rid of the one shell rule for real throwback designs.  Auction off the helmets after if you want but there's no reason college teams can use multiple helmets but not NFL teams.

I have faith that they eventually will get rid of it.  It wasn't a particularly good reason to do so in the first place, but I understand what they were trying to do.  The only thing good that it led to was the dark blue helmet version of the old Denver snorting Bronco D, which still was a far better logo than this garbage that they've had since the Super Bowl seasons.