John Simpson Starting Right Guard

Jeremy408

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m still skeptical about leather dude and are they willing to risk Carr’s health as he learns the ropes? Luckily carr has a quick release 

I agree and James has more experience at RT than Leatherwood.  I find it funny that Cable has tried more players without RT experience than players with RT experience.  Miller, James, and Good all have RT experience at a high level but none are really considered for the job.  Maybe if Leatherwood goes down maybe Cable will try Incognito at RT.

11 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree and James has more experience at RT than Leatherwood.  I find it funny that Cable has tried more players without RT experience than players with RT experience.  Miller, James, and Good all have RT experience at a high level but none are really considered for the job.  Maybe if Leatherwood goes down maybe Cable will try Incognito at RT.

James hasn't played RT since college and was moved inside because he has 32" arms and is a below average athlete. We'd play Good or Parker at RT before we'd move James there. 

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m still skeptical about leather dude and are they willing to risk Carr’s health as he learns the ropes? Luckily carr has a quick release 

Leatherwood has the tools for sure, 6'5" 315 with 34.5" arms and had like the 17th best raw athletic score out of 1,200 OT since 1987. He was a 3 year starter at Alabama and IIRC won the award for the best OL in the country as a senior. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Leatherwood has the tools for sure, 6'5" 315 with 34.5" arms and had like the 17th best raw athletic score out of 1,200 OT since 1987. He was a 3 year starter at Alabama and IIRC won the award for the best OL in the country as a senior. 

It’s also right tackle which is more known for run blocking. And I have a very good feeling that we’re gonna be running the ball a lot more than last year

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It’s also right tackle which is more known for run blocking. And I have a very good feeling that we’re gonna be running the ball a lot more than last year

I haven't watched a lot of him but what I've read is that he was better in pass protection and tends to lunge when run blocking, a video I watched he lunged a few times and got beat. 

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Leatherwood has played tackle and guard so clearly he has some versatility. If he goes down, Good is a very capable right tackle spot starter, like we saw vs the Saints.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I haven't watched a lot of him but what I've read is that he was better in pass protection and tends to lunge when run blocking, a video I watched he lunged a few times and got beat. 

He’s known for being the best run blocking tackle in the draft but he’s not that great against the pass as it stands right now but he has every tool to improve. That’s basically the idea with him. 

On 5/15/2021 at 12:58 PM, NYRaider said:

James hasn't played RT since college and was moved inside because he has 32" arms and is a below average athlete. We'd play Good or Parker at RT before we'd move James there. 

Nobody said James would be a better RT Leatherwood.  It is more of a funny observation that Cable likes to play people without any experience at RT and chooses where people are going to play based upon measurables and not ability to play the position.  After seeing this over and over again I can almost guarantee Cable wanted nothing to do with Orlando Brown since he ran a 5.4+ 40 which is the measurables cutoff for success in the league for tackles.  At some point you have to look at the game tape and say this guy can do it.  Good thing somebody watched Renfrow's tape and Cable does not get to critique WRs.  Cable just gives measurables to much weight.  Everyone has their bias' but Cable makes to many mistakes and gets to much credit in my book.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:14 PM, NYRaider said:

From what I have read and seen he puts himself in a good position to make his blocks but when he does not, like you said, he lunges and gets beat.  He has good highlights but you will not see that type of consistency throughout the game.  He has the measurables and flashes brilliance but he has some real issues.  Most of all I want to see him develop the attitude that he is going to beat up who ever is his assignment the entire game.  Be nice off the field but mean and nasty on it.

20 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Leatherwood has played tackle and guard so clearly he has some versatility. If he goes down, Good is a very capable right tackle spot starter, like we saw vs the Saints.

I like Good at RT if we need him.  I know Leatherwood has played LT and RG which shows some versatility but the technique for RT is different and a combination of the two positions he has played.  I really hope they lined him up at RT sometime during the draft process and he was able to do it.  Even with a full offseason Penn who was a pro bowler the year before showed it is not that easy for everyone.  Just watch the highlights from the Rams game in 2018.  Penn looks uncoordinated, is on the ground a lot, and on the pick six you can see that his time at LT led him to be way out of position leaving a player to hurry Carr with his throw.  He was not absolute garbage the way Parker was I do not expect Leatherwood to look better than a pro bowl LT making the transition.  Maybe he will be fine but we are taking a big risk and I could see Leatherwood landing somewhere between Penn and Parker year one.