John Simpson Starting Right Guard

Jeremy408

I'd be very nervous if we started the season with James - Simpson - Leatherwood on the right side. That looks like a lot of hope and not a lot of production to me. Simpson may well have struggled last year with the Covid affected camp and so on but I'd feel better with an experienced guy like Good in there who did a decent job and can help Leatherwood and James either side. Putting 3 very inexperienced players (none of whom have shown any elite ability at this level) together in a row is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

• Like 1

Vic has mentioned that the Raiders prefer Simpson to start. Think it comes down to wanting your draft picks to step up and win a job. Makes everyone is that building look better and feel better. With that being said also don’t think the Raiders would be stubborn and not reward the best player

• Like 1

they went back to an April 20 article to make that point. slow news cycle i guess?

Simpson was a 4th round pick, not a late round throwaway. for a guard picked in that round, he is expected to be a starter down the line. Good at least provides a floor, but Incognito's play/health should not be taken for granted either.

hopefully a full offseason/camp will help him get there. he's more powerful than Good for sure. it's a technique/footwork issue with him

Edited by Turnobili

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This is either a slow news cycle type of story or they do not have a lot of confidences in Incognito/Leatherwood this year.

Vic reported this on March 30.

Tom Cable: 

There is a three-man competition for the two starting guard spots, among Incognito, Simpson and Good. Simpson, a fourth-round pick a year ago, filled in and started two games last season, with the second one going a lot smoother than the first.

“Having all three of those guys is pretty cool,” Cable said. “They’re going to raise everybody up. John is going to push those two guys, and their knowledge and experience will help him. Once he has an offseason to develop his skill — and hopefully we get to do that this year — he’ll just take off.”

I can understand the desire to have Good not start and just fill in at injury. Parker behind Miller and Good gets  both G's and RT back up C with Martin and that's the 8 you dress every game. Leatherwood only goes to LT if Miller and Parker go down then Good RT and Martin backs up the interior. Carry 9 or 10 depending on development/surprises. If Leatherwood stays at LT for another game or more you bring dress the RT they hyped already. Probably not an all star line but serviceable with unknown/upside?

8 hours ago, G said:

I can understand the desire to have Good not start and just fill in at injury. Parker behind Miller and Good gets  both G's and RT back up C with Martin and that's the 8 you dress every game. Leatherwood only goes to LT if Miller and Parker go down then Good RT and Martin backs up the interior. Carry 9 or 10 depending on development/surprises. If Leatherwood stays at LT for another game or more you bring dress the RT they hyped already. Probably not an all star line but serviceable with unknown/upside?

Based on Cable's comments it doesn't seem like they're too confident in Richie being able to play this year. 

15 hours ago, G said:

James could also play RT if needed.

23 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Based on Cable's comments it doesn't seem like they're too confident in Richie being able to play this year. 

What comments are those from Cable? Cable didn't say anything leading in your post above and in the link in the OP it says they think Incognito is back to full strength:

In the same article, Tafur notes that Richie Incognito — who played in only two games in 2020 due to an ankle injury — is back to full strength

15 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lololol if he ends up starting over leather dude Mark better dust off the projector 📽 fire everyone 

The comment was about injuries.  If the tackles go down we can move Martin to C and James to RT.  It would be an almost worst case scenario similar to bringing your 3rd basemen in to pitch because you depleted your bullpen.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

The comment was about injuries.  If the tackles go down we can move Martin to C and James to RT.  It would be an almost worst case scenario similar to bringing your 3rd basemen in to pitch because you depleted your bullpen.

I’m still skeptical about leather dude and are they willing to risk Carr’s health as he learns the ropes? Luckily carr has a quick release