John Simpson Starting Right Guard

Jeremy408

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

But the question for me is if Incognito is fully fit do you think Good and Simpson will actually be better players? I'm very sure they'll be downgrades.........if he's fit.....

If we get pro bowl caliber rich then yea but it’s a lot of if’s 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Richie was out of the league in 2018 and missed 16 games in 2019/2020. At 38 coming off of an Achilles injury I don't have a ton of faith in a guy that has played 14 games over the last 3 seasons. 

That's the question for me too, basically health. He looked great in admittedly limited game time this last season so providing he's healthy I see no real reason why he shouldn't be close to that but I can totally understand why yourself and @NCOUGHMAN would be suspicious of that. That us a fair argument.

I read that he was healthy though so I guess we'll just have to see. If he is fit and healthy then I think there's no comparison in skill between him and Good/Simpson. Of course, worst case is Incognito is shot and Simpson hasn't really improved, then were struggling a little though Good should be average to decent as he's shown.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That's the question for me too, basically health. He looked great in admittedly limited game time this last season so providing he's healthy I see no real reason why he shouldn't be close to that but I can totally understand why yourself and @NCOUGHMAN would be suspicious of that. That us a fair argument.

I read that he was healthy though so I guess we'll just have to see. If he is fit and healthy then I think there's no comparison in skill between him and Good/Simpson. Of course, worst case is Incognito is shot and Simpson hasn't really improved, then were struggling a little though Good should be average to decent as he's shown.

He's almost 40 years old and has played in 14/48 games over the last 3 years.

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Richie was out of the league in 2018 and missed 16 games in 2019/2020. At 38 coming off of an Achilles injury I don't have a ton of faith in a guy that has played 14 games over the last 3 seasons. 

I have been saying this since the beginning of the off season.  If he can make it back healthy it is great but age and the type of injury make me think he is going to struggle.  I do not care what the reports say about him being ready to go.  Our team always says what they think the fans want to hear.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I have been saying this since the beginning of the off season.  If he can make it back healthy it is great but age and the type of injury make me think he is going to struggle.  I do not care what the reports say about him being ready to go.  Our team always says what they think the fans want to hear.

Cable wouldn't even say that Richie is a starter coming into the offseason he said it's a 3 man competition and really hyped up Simpson. There's also a reason that we cut Richie and brought him back at a discount while no other teams showed significant interest in bringing him in. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cable wouldn't even say that Richie is a starter coming into the offseason he said it's a 3 man competition and really hyped up Simpson. There's also a reason that we cut Richie and brought him back at a discount while no other teams showed significant interest in bringing him in. 

This is key

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's almost 40 years old and has played in 14/48 games over the last 3 years.

He's 37 years old, so way out there and he had a year off in 2018 so he's fresh as a daisy. I'm not really sure what the point of your post is...... I acknowledged the injury aspect in my post above so not really sure what you're trying to prove? 

If he's fit he's head and shoulders better than Good who is OK and Simpson looked below average when he played though hopefully he'll improve. Incognito looked great in his last live game action, though he has been out for a long time. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

He's 37 years old, so way out there and he had a year off in 2018 so he's fresh as a daisy. I'm not really sure what the point of your post is...... I acknowledged the injury aspect in my post above so not really sure what you're trying to prove? 

If he's fit he's head and shoulders better than Good who is OK and Simpson looked below average when he played though hopefully he'll improve. Incognito looked great in his last live game action, though he has been out for a long time. 

He'll be 38 in July he had a year off in 2018 and still missed 4 games in 2019 and then missed the entire season in 2020. Incognito is definitely our best guard if he's healthy and returns to form, he's one of the best guards in the league tbh, I just don't think he'll be a starter based on Cable's comments. 

54 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He'll be 38 in July he had a year off in 2018 and still missed 4 games in 2019 and then missed the entire season in 2020. Incognito is definitely our best guard if he's healthy and returns to form, he's one of the best guards in the league tbh, I just don't think he'll be a starter based on Cable's comments. 

I wouldn't read too much into those comments honestly, they're bound to say that about competition especially with a 2nd year player on board. Hopefully he'll be 100% and Leatherwood is as good as hoped then we could be looking quite good moving forward.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I wouldn't read too much into those comments honestly, they're bound to say that about competition especially with a 2nd year player on board. Hopefully he'll be 100% and Leatherwood is as good as hoped then we could be looking quite good moving forward.

Agreed. In an ideal world Incognito will be healthy all year for us and we can start him and Good at OG. Richie has played RG in the past, I'd probably prefer he plays RG this season to help Leatherwood. 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. In an ideal world Incognito will be healthy all year for us and we can start him and Good at OG. Richie has played RG in the past, I'd probably prefer he plays RG this season to help Leatherwood. 

Richie hasn't played RG in 11 years or something like that. I would definately keep him at LG to help Andre as much as possible.

When/if he goes down Simpson should be able to step in his place.

I would put Good at RG to be a veteran next to Leatherwood and also Andre...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rolni said:

Richie hasn't played RG in 11 years or something like that. I would definately keep him at LG to help Andre as much as possible.

When/if he goes down Simpson should be able to step in his place.

I would put Good at RG to be a veteran next to Leatherwood and also Andre...

Good is a decent player and will likely be RG. Hopefully Good/Richie can help Andre, personally I think Nick Martin will be the starting C at some point this season.