Looking at the Future Cap

WindyCity

Cap Room: 41 million, we won't know about roll forward money, but I doubt the Bears have any.
Foles and Quinn: 14 million

Total Obvious Cap: 54 million

Not Back

DE Akiem Hicks
QB Andy Dalton
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Anthony Miller
CB Desmond Trufant

Depending

OT Germain Ifedi
S Tashon Gipson
RB Damien Wiliams
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Damiere Byrd
LB Christian Jones
OG Elijah Wilkerson

RFA

OG Alex Bars 2.1 million

ERFA

OLB James Vaughters 700k
C Sam Mustipher  700k
TE Jesper Horsted  700k

Try to Re-sign

WR Allen Robinson 
Amari Cooper: 5 years 100 million/60 guaranteed/10 SB
1st Year Cap Hit: 12 million

DT Bilal Nichols
Jordan Phillips: 3 years 30 million/20 guaranteed/8 SB
1st Year Cap Hit: 5 million

OG James Daniels
Graham Glasgow: 4 years 44 million/26 guaranteed/12 SB
Year 1 Cap Hit: 5.5 million

P Pat O'Donnell 1.75 million

LS Patrick Scales 1.25 million

S Deon Bush 1.5 million

S DHC 1.2 million

Cap Spent: 32.4 million
Cap Remaining: 22.6 million

22.6 would put the squarely in the tier 2 shopping range, which is probably best.

They can backload deals into 2023 and 2024 when the new TV money is suppose to be in and the COVID caps are done.

The need for void years and all of that garbage should be done.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think Daniels will be worth it, but you can afford a real addition to the OL and some tier 2 help.

If he stays healthy this season and performs well, I can see him returning. Kid is young still (23 as of today).

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I would love for the Bears to sign CB Steven Nelson and just take #2 CB off the need list for the next 2-3 years.

Nelson would be a great pick up but he will be able to get all kind of money if that is what he is waiting for...if he did come here I would play him outside this year and still draft an outside CB next year due to the deep deep talent pool...creates a great starting core and quality depth.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Nelson would be a great pick up but he will be able to get all kind of money if that is what he is waiting for...if he did come here I would play him outside this year and still draft an outside CB next year due to the deep deep talent pool...creates a great starting core and quality depth.

I think you can give him a 4 year deal worth real money. CB is the only position we aren’t heavily invested in on defense moving forward.

Allows you to focus on OLB, SS and ILB.

I love analyzing the cap but it's way too soon to make decisions just yet.  For instance.

Not Back

DE Akiem Hicks
QB Andy Dalton
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Anthony Miller
CB Desmond Trufant

Suppose Hicks isn't declining as much as assumed.  Maybe Pace extends him for a couple of years keeping him around for a Super Bowl run.  There is a huge difference in that DL between when Hicks plays and we he doesn't play.

I'm willing to give Miller on more shot to prove he's become a "grown up" NFL Slot Receiver.  By adding competition we've essentially said it's now or never Jasper.  Either perfect your talent in our offense or you're gone.

Those who should be extended or given new deals are obvious but what isn't is the impact of a once again rising cap.

I'll wait awhile before I get into the who and what terms stuff.  We have a whole season to play ahead of us.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Would the Bears get similar cap relief if they signed Robinson to an extension before the deadline next month? 

They could structure it however. Likely they would make his cap hit this season lower, roll forward the savings on to the 2022 cap.

Looks different, but same results 

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They could structure it however. Likely they would make his cap hit this season lower, roll forward the savings on to the 2022 cap.

Looks different, but same results 

Let's hope they do it. Not just because it's the right thing for the team, but I'd really like for Pace to have some extra money available. You never know what player might end up being a FA...

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Let's hope they do it. Not just because it's the right thing for the team, but I'd really like for Pace to have some extra money available. You never know what player might end up being a FA...

If Fields is going to be playing, which it seems he will be, I would like to add another layer of depth at OT, TE, WR, and we need space to do that.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

If Fields is going to be playing, which it seems he will be, I would like to add another layer of depth at OT, TE, WR, and we need space to do that.

They might be good at WR, but those other positions for sure. It would also be nice to have the flexibility to sign another "name" guy, at whatever position.