Looking at the Future Cap

WindyCity

Interesting article from SI projecting up and coming contracts for top players at all positions.  With top QB contracts rising to the $40 mil APY and more range having a young QB under control on his rookie deal for 5 years is a biggie.

https://www.nfl.com/news/all-paid-team-of-tomorrow-projecting-next-big-nfl-contracts-x9446

This is where they believe a deal for ARob should fall and I can't disagree.  Hopefully they can come together on a new deal.

Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears: Robinson has been the sole driving force behind the Bears' passing attack over the last two seasons. Despite the troubles under center in Chicago, Robinson has 2,397 receiving yards over that span -- more than any receiver in the NFL not named Stefon Diggs or DeAndre Hopkins. Last season, Robinson, Hopkins and Davante Adams were the only players with 100-plus receptions and one or fewer drops. Robinson did that despite leading the NFL in contested targets (49) and tying for the league lead in contested catches (21) in 2020, according to Pro Football Focus. The 27-year-old Robinson, set to play this season on the franchise tag, seems like a good candidate to land right around Keenan Allen ($20.03 million APY) and Amari Cooper ($20 million APY) on his next long-term deal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, soulman said:

Interesting article from SI projecting up and coming contracts for top players at all positions.  With top QB contracts rising to the $40 mil APY and more range having a young QB under control on his rookie deal for 5 years is a biggie.

https://www.nfl.com/news/all-paid-team-of-tomorrow-projecting-next-big-nfl-contracts-x9446

This is where they believe a deal for ARob should fall and I can't disagree.  Hopefully they can come together on a new deal.

Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears: Robinson has been the sole driving force behind the Bears' passing attack over the last two seasons. Despite the troubles under center in Chicago, Robinson has 2,397 receiving yards over that span -- more than any receiver in the NFL not named Stefon Diggs or DeAndre Hopkins. Last season, Robinson, Hopkins and Davante Adams were the only players with 100-plus receptions and one or fewer drops. Robinson did that despite leading the NFL in contested targets (49) and tying for the league lead in contested catches (21) in 2020, according to Pro Football Focus. The 27-year-old Robinson, set to play this season on the franchise tag, seems like a good candidate to land right around Keenan Allen ($20.03 million APY) and Amari Cooper ($20 million APY) on his next long-term deal.

I think there is a clear uptick in how much receivers are getting paid and that balance has been swinging for a while with running backs losing money and receivers gaining it...personally I would take Allen over both those receivers and as much as $20 million a year seems like a ton of money maybe we all just need to adjust our thinking on how much these guys are worth in today's NFL.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think there is a clear uptick in how much receivers are getting paid and that balance has been swinging for a while with running backs losing money and receivers gaining it...personally I would take Allen over both those receivers and as much as $20 million a year seems like a ton of money maybe we all just need to adjust our thinking on how much these guys are worth in today's NFL.

The NFL is still essentially a passing league so it's highest paid performers will be the guys who throw the ball and they guys who catch it.

If the Bears ever believed they would get ARob for less than a $20 mil APY I think they must have been dreaming and I don't really think that's the case.  There was something leaked earlier that indicated ARob was asking for far more probably hoping to encourage a pre-draft trade but when he and his agent saw what others were getting all of a sudden $18 mil for a year looked much better.

QB had to be another factor with Pace knowing they'd be moving on from Mitch yet not knowing when that decision was made just who would replace him and how much it would cost.  Having settled all of that maybe they can get back to the table again and get a deal done based somewhat on those numbers and of course the amount of money guaranteed.  That's always the biggest factor.

45 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears have about 7 million in functional cap space after cutting Leno and factoring in the draft class.

They could still do something.

They need to extend Robinson, get that figure up to like $14 mil. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

20/season for Robinson would be fine with me as long as it is on a 5 year deal so we can manage the cap hits.

It's more than likely the length of the deal and the guaranteed money that's holding it all up.

ARob will turn 28 this coming August so this is his shot at his last big contract.  It's very possible Pace wants a back door after 3 years at which time his guaranteed money is up and any dead cap hit is easily digestible.  ARob would probably like to push that out for at least another year and virtually assure himself four more years in Chicago at which point he'll have played for 11 seasons.

So what it may come down to is reasonably assuring himself of making another $80 mil vs another $60 mil before considering retirement or having to re-market himself at age 31.   He came on board at a fair bargain price for 3 years and IMHO outplayed his deal.  Now he's lookin' for a "make up year" Pace may not want to offer.  Let's see what happens.

18 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

not according to breer

Leno money does not come on the books until June 1st.

That is actually better for the Bears would mean they have 10 million after Leno and 8 millioin after the draft class and top 51.

I doubt Pace will head into late summer with only a couple of mil in cap space.  He needs breathing room for 10 PS guys in addition to his 53 man roster and space to cover emergencies so say $5-$6 mil in reserve or thereabouts.

There are still some talented FAs out there still looking for more $$$ than teams want to pay.  The closer we get to Mandatory OTAs and/or Training Camp the more some of their asking prices may soften.  Cap is tight all over.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, soulman said:

I doubt Pace will head into late summer with only a couple of mil in cap space.  He needs breathing room for 10 PS guys in addition to his 53 man roster and space to cover emergencies so say $5-$6 mil in reserve or thereabouts.

There are still some talented FAs out there still looking for more $$$ than teams want to pay.  The closer we get to Mandatory OTAs and/or Training Camp the more some of their asking prices may soften.  Cap is tight all over.

I think there is room to add a player in the 3-4 million price range in terms of a 2021 cap hit.

That could either be on a multi year deal or a 1 year deal as long as the cap hit stays around 3-4 million.

I think there are CBs and OT available that would be nice additions at thin positions for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think there is room to add a player in the 3-4 million price range in terms of a 2021 cap hit.

That could either be on a multi year deal or a 1 year deal as long as the cap hit stays around 3-4 million.

I think there are CBs and OT available that would be nice additions at thin positions for us.

Steven Nelson?  Russell Okung?

But if he's gonna spend $3-$4 mil it won't be just for depth.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Steven Nelson?  Russell Okung?

But if he's gonna spend $3-$4 mil it won't be just for depth.

Steven Nelson would be my #1 guy. I am not sure you can get him on a deal structured the way you want, but he would be a nice option long term at CB2.

Dennis Kelly, Russell Okung, Morgan Moses (if cut), would all be nice options to add at OT and we are getting close to where they might grab 3 mil for a year before the jobs dry up.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, Madmike90 said:

Agreed. I was against it with Dalton or Foles being the guy here since I wasn't sure who could be the franchise QB. Now that we have Fields though and he can pass to non-primary targets, pay this man his money and help Fields develop.

I'd rather have ARob at $20 mil than Miller at $9 mil per year (used Randall Cobb for a ref). You can pay a stud that much of you are able to develop a rookie or two and pluck a few ok FAs for depth. No one is going to mistake our WR corp for AZ but with a real QB it can do nicely.

• Like 1

2022 Cap Room: 39 million

2021 Draft Class Hit: -10 million

2021 Roll Over Right Now: +5 million

Cutting Foles and Quinn: +10 million

44 million in functional cap space for 2022.

But with Robinson, Nichols, Daniels all free agents that money will not go far.