Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Fire the coaching staff?  yes.  By that I mean fire Dom and I'd probably fire Edgar Bennett.  

Bring in new blood as the DC and let them decide which assistants to keep.

Bring in a new, real offensive coordinator who can work with Mac.  I believe that Mac's offense has been figured out by the league and he's too stubborn to revamp it.  Make that the job of the new OC...with input from Mac and then let Mac run the team.

I think the team believes in Mac.  But as a fan, it is hard for me to take his offense seriously anymore and Capers, well, that just has to end.

I think this is best, but I wonder how much freedom MM would give another coordinator to design the offense?

6 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

I think this is best, but I wonder how much freedom MM would give another coordinator to design the offense?

Oh, I don't think you wonder, I think you know.  :)

Mac is stubborn, but someone needs to get through to him that the offense needs to evolve.

53 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I doubt they have been as bad as we have in big games.  We've seen our defense fail to rise to the occasion on several occasions in the playoffs.  We get thrashed almost every time we play a top QB.

Best QB they have faced in postseason in this era is the Denver version of Peyton Manning who they lost to twice. 

Other big game opponents: flacco (gave up 33 and lost), mark Sanchez (gave up 28 and lost), tebow, flacco, Eli (lost), schaub, flacco (gave up 28 and lost), luck, p Manning (gave up 26 and lost), flacco, luck, Wilson, Alex Smith, p Manning (lost), osweiler, big Ben (their best game vs a good QB), and then the SB that they got shredded by Matt Ryan.

A lot of the people who like Dom also like Ted. 

Well, our D has been pretty bad for quite some time now. Some don't wanna blame Dom and his scheme (that ex players have ripped). Well then, is it's Ted's fault for getting us bad players?

You can't have it both ways people. So which is it? 

6 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Well, our D has been pretty bad for quite some time now. Some don't wanna blame Dom and his scheme (that ex players have ripped). Well then, is it's Ted's fault for getting us bad players?

It's Rodgers' fault man. If Brees throws for 400, Rodgers should have to throw for 450. If Kaep runs for 200, Rodgers should have to run for 220. If our defense gives up the common TD late in the game when we need 1 stop, Rodgers just needs to be able to respond and score to win the game. Stop expecting so much from our defense....?

11 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Sure you can. Both can have blame. That's what I talk about all the time. 

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Sure you can. Both can have blame. That's what I talk about all the time. 

From a purely talent standpoint, does our defense match up well with the rest of the league?  I don't really know how to judge this since football is so reliant on coaching. But where would you guys say our top healthy defensive line-up would rank if all teams were coached equally?

5 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Most people are not trying to “have it both ways” since they don’t agree with your opinion on this. Unless by “while” you mean this season and last season. Multiple seasons from 09-15 were above average. But I know it is easier for emotionally-invested people to get carried away w/ major hyperbole.

And your whole premise is also based on an faulty underlying presumption that all teams have equivalent draft assets to work with. TT could easily be performing above average with respect to his draft position yet still getting players that don’t measure up to the absolute value of those others are picking.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's Rodgers' fault man. If Brees throws for 400, Rodgers should have to throw for 450. If Kaep runs for 200, Rodgers should have to run for 220. If our defense gives up the common TD late in the game when we need 1 stop, Rodgers just needs to be able to respond and score to win the game. Stop expecting so much from our defense....?

The strawmen never get old, do they?

5 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

From a purely talent standpoint, does our defense match up well with the rest of the league?  I don't really know how to judge this since football is so reliant on coaching. But where would you guys say our top healthy defensive line-up would rank if all teams were coached equally?

Middle of the road healthy to 10ish? That's my gut feel. 

Stop using season totals.  Look at the defenses at the end of the year, when all the kinks are worked out and a defense has what they have. 

Indisputable fact - Dom's defense at the end of the year in the playoffs has been BAD in every year except for four (2010, 2013, 2014, 2015).  I don't give a damn crap what our defense has ranked in DVOA or anything.  I care what it is at the end of the season. 

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This. Also, the statemt that the defense has been pretty bad for quite some time now is inaccurate.

I don't understand why they think it can't be both. I thought most people agreed they both have issues. I suppose it comes to wanting a firing? So they need to pick one, idk.

9 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Middle of the road healthy to 10ish? That's my gut feel. 

Which seems to be where we are when healthy from a performance standpoint too.  And considering we are drafting in the high 20s every year, I think the main cause for Green Bay's struggles is parity in the NFL.  New England will always be the exception, but other teams with HOF qbs have had down years or multiple bad playoff runs.  Teams with all time great defenses like Seattle are starting to feel it too, it is almost impossible to sustain success in the NFL for as long as Green Bay has. 

It's on Dom. He should be fired.

His scheme has been known to be too damn complicated. Guys (especially younger guys) spend more time thinking than reacting.

We allow WRs to just run free. How often do you see us jamming...playing bump & run? 3rd and short, and our DB are playing 10 yards off the line. It's maddening. 

Archived