Jaguars OTAs/Training Camp News and Notes

.Buzz

I don’t know where else to put it, but I gotta give props to the staff for the way they’ve been able to mitigate the circus around Trevor this season and tamper expectations to a reasonable level.

The exact opposite is happening with Fields in Chicago, and it cannot be great for that much pressure to be on a guy who really could use some time to clean up his mechanics and work on some other stuff.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I don’t know where else to put it, but I gotta give props to the staff for the way they’ve been able to mitigate the circus around Trevor this season and tamper expectations to a reasonable level.

The exact opposite is happening with Fields in Chicago, and it cannot be great for that much pressure to be on a guy who really could use some time to clean up his mechanics and work on some other stuff.

I havent followed how they have handled his expectations but with Fields I get the fan hype to a point. As bad as their offense was at points last year, they still were a 7 seed. They seemed like a team with no hope as the Top-4 QBs were expected to go before them and they'd spend another year in QB purgatory never good enough to win or bad enough to get a good prospect and then Fields fell into their lap(or within striking distance of getting him) Its weird listening to the PFF guys talk about him though like nothing can go wrong and they will be so great moving the ball with him right out of the gate though

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pwny said:

It has been a pretty solid job of managing expectations. Between the various “distractions” they’ve thrown up (Tebow, QB Competition, etc), and just the way they’ve tempered expectations in comments to the media. 

But to be fair...they’ve had a pretty massive head start on that, compared to Chicago. 

Jaguars fans are pretty used to misery and failure. Already predisposed to expecting the worst, because that’s often what we’ve got in recent years. I think that takes a toll on the psyche, to where most Jaguars fans have conditioned themselves not to get too far ahead of themselves with reckless optimism. Hence, the feeling even well after Lawrence was a Jaguar, it still didn’t feel entirely “real” somehow. 

Further to that note, league-wide, fan and media expectations are perennially extremely low for this team, and anything associated with it. “It’s the Jaguars.”  That’s the baseline expectation based on outside perceptions of team. People generally expect futility and failure and embarrassment. Even a player like Trevor Lawrence can’t singlehandedly override decades as something on the spectrum of forgotten franchise to outright laughingstock. Especially not before even playing an actual NFL snap. 

Its also just a fair estimation, to expect very little from this season. Based on just how incredibly pathetic this team was just last year. There’s been plenty of turnover, but at the same time...it’s all completely unproven from top to bottom, and far too much holdover from an extremely bad team, to expect any QB could step in and completely turn fortunes around immediately. Compared to Chicago...where they actually have had flashes of a capable team, but very obviously held back by quarterback ineptitude. It’s easy to expect more of a dramatic instant impact out of that situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

That's not good

I'm genuinely getting kind of concerned about this.  Between the preseason misses, and reports like this.  He's been looking a lot more like the, "unemployed kicker guy we grabbed off the street" Lambo...than the "automatic" guy we came to know as a Jaguar, and handed that contract extension to.

Kicking is such a finnicky position, and heavily mental.  Really hope he can get things dialed back in sometime soon.  But struggles in a comeback from injury like this, can start to really spiral out of control.  That would obviously be very bad.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm genuinely getting kind of concerned about this.  Between the preseason misses, and reports like this.  He's been looking a lot more like the, "unemployed kicker guy we grabbed off the street" Lambo...than the "automatic" guy we came to know as a Jaguar, and handed that contract extension to.

Kicking is such a finnicky position, and heavily mental.  Really hope he can get things dialed back in sometime soon.  But struggles in a comeback from injury like this, can start to really spiral out of control.  That would obviously be very bad.

Yep.  Hopefully he figures out those demons causing the misses which is why the jags should employ a kicking coach