NYRaider

Should they trade Ben Simmons  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Trade him?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

If GS is giving up Wiseman then there is no way they're giving up #7

I think Bob Meyer's recent comments in support of Wiseman and saying he's in their long term plans might have been to boost his trade value, tbh. Wiseman doesn't really fit their style of play and the Warriors were much better on both ends of the floor after he got hurt.

If the Sixers can do better, godspeed to them.   But at least they have a floor to work off.   Honestly, though, if the offers don't improve, it's not a crazy offer.   Not what they would have likely got last year....but the playoffs really have done a number on Simmons' perceived value.

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If the Sixers can do better, godspeed to them.   But at least they have a floor to work off.   Honestly, though, if the offers don't improve, it's not a crazy offer.   Not what they would have likely got last year....but the playoffs really have done a number on Simmons' perceived value.

Sixers are dumb.  I would have done that deal in an instant if I was Morey. Brogdon a perfect fit for the Sixers. 

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Sixers are dumb.  I would have done that deal in an instant if I was Morey. Brogdon a perfect fit for the Sixers. 

I think it’s a perfect combo as Indy would run the O through Levert / Warren / Sabonis.  The Siders would  get a true O threat at PG.   IMO it’s hard ro see Morey getting a better package with Simmons alone at this stage.  Guess we’ll see.  

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Honestly, the Pacers make a lot of sense.

Indiana receives: Ben Simmons, #50

Philadelphia receives: Malcolm Brogdon, Jeremy Lamb, Goga Bitadze, #13, 2023 1st swap

And that's honestly probably an overpay at this point.

Edited by seminoles1

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Honestly, the Pacers make a lot of sense.

Indiana receives: Ben Simmons, #50

Philadelphia receives: Malcolm Brogdon, Jeremy Lamb, Goga Bitadze, #13, 2023 1st swap

And that's honestly probably an overpay at this point.

Brogdon has missed like 1/3 or more of the season in each of the last 4 years with injuries. Lamb has also missed significant time over the last 2 seasons with injuries. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I think it’s a perfect combo as Indy would run the O through Levert / Warren / Sabonis.  The Siders would  get a true O threat at PG.   IMO it’s hard ro see Morey getting a better package with Simmons alone at this stage.  Guess we’ll see. 

A 29 year old SG that can't stay healthy at all and a late lottery pick?

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A 29 year old SG that can't stay healthy at all and a late lottery pick?

Sixers should be attaching picks with Simmons in trades.  The fact the Pacers offered to take back just Simmons and the Sixers declining the trade is mind boggling to me. Lol

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

IMO McCollum / Brogdon plus are the player returns Simmons is likely getting at his price contract wise and limitations.    

6 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Sixers should be attaching picks with Simmons in trades.  The fact the Pacers offered to take back just Simmons and the Sixers declining the trade is mind boggling to me. Lol

Then I'd just keep Simmons if I were Philly. His FT woes this year definitely hurt them but they were still the #1 seed in the East and if he just shot his career average as opposed to the worst FT shooting streak in NBA playoff history, they would've easily beaten Atlanta. 

Coming into the playoffs this year Simmons was a career 65% FT shooter in the playoffs, 5% higher than his regular season FT shooting numbers. 

People are very short sighted when it comes to player value. Were his FT shooting woes an issue for Philadelphia in the playoffs? Without a doubt. Was that the only reason they lost that series? No way. The 76ers had a chance to take a 3-1 lead and Embiid laid an egg with a 4/20 shooting night, including 0/12 in the second half, in a 3 point loss. They also had a chance to take a 3-2 series lead and Tobias Harris laid an egg with a 4 point performance on 2/11 FG in a 3 point loss. So even when Atlanta did beat them, it took other Philadelphia star players laying complete eggs to lose extremely close games. 

I've never been a huge fan of Simmons but everyone on here acts like they should just give him away. Simmons has been an All-Star the last 3 years, was All-NBA in 2020, has been All-NBA defense the last two seasons including being #2 in DPOY voting this year. He's only 25 years old and does pretty much everything other than shoot at an elite or borderline elite level. Not many 6'10" guys that can provide elite defense, rebound, and distribute the way that Simmons does. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Then I'd just keep Simmons if I were Philly. His FT woes this year definitely hurt them but they were still the #1 seed in the East and if he just shot his career average as opposed to the worst FT shooting streak in NBA playoff history, they would've easily beaten Atlanta. 

Coming into the playoffs this year Simmons was a career 65% FT shooter in the playoffs, 5% higher than his regular season FT shooting numbers. 

People are very short sighted when it comes to player value. Were his FT shooting woes an issue for Philadelphia in the playoffs? Without a doubt. Was that the only reason they lost that series? No way. The 76ers had a chance to take a 3-1 lead and Embiid laid an egg with a 4/20 shooting night, including 0/12 in the second half, in a 3 point loss. They also had a chance to take a 3-2 series lead and Tobias Harris laid an egg with a 4 point performance on 2/11 FG in a 3 point loss. So even when Atlanta did beat them, it took other Philadelphia star players laying complete eggs to lose extremely close games. 

I've never been a huge fan of Simmons but everyone on here acts like they should just give him away. Simmons has been an All-Star the last 3 years, was All-NBA in 2020, has been All-NBA defense the last two seasons including being #2 in DPOY voting this year. He's only 25 years old and does pretty much everything other than shoot at an elite or borderline elite level. Not many 6'10" guys that can provide elite defense, rebound, and distribute the way that Simmons does. 

The issues though are this: 

1.  Simmons hadn’t just drawn the ire of fans - but his own teammates.   It’s Embiid’s team.  

2. His limitations wouldn’t be nearly as bad if they didn’t come with his contract.  

3.  As you mentioned - PHI is in win now territory.   Getting a 28-29 year old doesn’t matter nearly as much as it would have 2-3 years ago.  

I say the above as a fan of a team that realistically has no real shot to get him.   I just don’t see him in a PHI jersey if that’s the floor on his market.   I don’t see a huge upgrade over that level of deal though either.   Guess we will find out later if there is. 

Edited by Broncofan

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Brogdon has missed like 1/3 or more of the season in each of the last 4 years with injuries. Lamb has also missed significant time over the last 2 seasons with injuries. 

You were stanning for Brogdon in a different trade you proposed like a week ago.

Lamb tore his ACL, that's not a lingering issue typically. He's a good 6th man.

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The issues though are this: 

1.  Simmons hadn’t just drawn the ire of fans - but his own teammates.   It’s Embiid’s team.  

2. His limitations wouldn’t be nearly as bad if they didn’t come with his contract.  

3.  As you mentioned - PHI is in win now territory.   Getting a 28-29 year old doesn’t matter nearly as much as it would have 2-3 years ago.  

I say the above as a fan of a team that realistically has no real shot to get him.   I just don’t see him in a PHI jersey if that’s the floor on his market.   I don’t see a huge upgrade over that level of deal though either.   Guess we will find out later if there is. 

1. This is again why I say that everyone is so short sighted. Last year the 76ers were 8-8 in games without Simmons, which caused them to fall to the 6th seed in the conference. Without Simmons in the playoffs Embiid averaged 30 on 45% FG and Harris averaged 17 on 35% FG as they were swept in the 1st round by the Celtics. 

With Simmons back in the lineup this year they finished with the #1 seed, Embiid averaged 28 on 52% FG and Harris averaged 22 on 49% FG, so it seems that Simmons playmaking definitely benefits both guys. 

2. Simmons contract isn't the best but it's also not absolutely terrible, as I said before he's 25 years old and one of the best players in the league. His shooting is an issue but he never shot FT's as poorly as he did this year in any other playoff run in his career, he actually was a better postseason FT shooter than in-season.. 

3. Embiid is 27 and Harris is 28, they're both under contract for a few more years. Obviously the goal is to win now but it's not like they're an extremely old team and they were just the #1 seed in the East. I know Simmons FT shooting hurt them a ton. Why doesn't Harris get any of the blame for his performance in game 5 or Embiid for his egg in game 4? Even in game 7, Harris was 8/24 from the field in a 7 point loss. While Simmons had 13 assists and only missed 1 FT. 

If they were to trade for a player like Brogdon it's definitely an upgrade in terms of 3P/FT shooting. But Brogdon has never been a great scorer, he has 1 year of 20+ ppg production on a terrible team when he was hurt for 1/3 the year. For his career he has averaged 15.1 ppg (46%), Simmons has averaged 15.9 ppg (56%) despite his inability to hit 3's. 

Going from Simmons to Brogdon would also be a huge downgrade in terms of defense and playmaking, the two biggest things that Ben provides for Philly. 

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You were stanning for Brogdon in a different trade you proposed like a week ago.

Lamb tore his ACL, that's not a lingering issue typically. He's a good 6th man.

I wanted Brogdon in a S&T for often hurt Mike Conley, lol. I'd take Simmons for Conley plus more in a heart beat. 

If I'm Philadelphia I'd go all in after Brad Beal then look to sign Kyle Lowry in free agency. 

The Wizards may not want to trade Beal but he can opt out after this year and the writing is pretty much on the wall. They have no cap flexibility with Beal/Westbrook and both guys can opt out next summer. Westbrook will likely opt in as he's not getting another big pay day but Beal is entering his prime, can get a max elsewhere, and can also go to a team/situation where he can compete for a title immediately. 

Philadelphia receives: Brad Beal 

Washington receives: Ben Simmons, Tyrese Maxey, Matisse Thybulle, #28, 2023 1st (top 3 protected), pick swaps in 2025, 2027