Week 8: VIKINGS (5-2) at Browns (0-7)

swede700

13 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

So how does a team's schedule typically work after a London game? Do they just fly back right away so they can deal with the jet lag ASAP? I guess it's not a major concern since our bye is coming up, but I was just wondering.

Virtually all teams get a bye week following a game in London. I think it’s only happened once where one team had to play the next week. 

But im guessing it’s like most road games. Fly back after the game, have a film day on Monday to review the game, possibly a walk through practice Tuesday morning, then the team gets dismissed for the bye. 

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I'm not that worried about the travel, in that case, it was an odder time in many ways for the Vikings to play that game. They looked fine previously in London as well. I think they spend more time going over with London versus taking that west coast trip for the odd time. I also think there's a pretty big difference from the first week of the season to the middle of the season and earlier in the day versus later in the day.

For what it's worth, I've flown to and from the US to different regions of Europe and the Middle East roughly 20+ times, and being prepared is everything. You can either try and flip your sleep schedule in flight in order to keep your same stateside schedule while overseas, or you can flip your schedule during the flight, usually through the use of sleep aids (or in my case hard liquor) in order to be acclimated to the correct schedule when you touch down. The times that i've flown over and stayed awake for the whole flight, or not kept strictly to one of the two options, I have needed 1-3 days to re-set my body. I feel like with how much teams prep for these sorts of experiences, they will have taken the appropriate measures to make sure everyone is fresh.

I'm not an expert, since I've only been overseas 1 time and that was 25 years ago...when I went over to Germany.  I did stay up the entire flight...and do seem to recall that while it may have been rough getting to sleep the first night, it wasn't all that difficult to adjust.  I think it was worse once I came back.  

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

I'm not an expert, since I've only been overseas 1 time and that was 25 years ago...when I went over to Germany.  I did stay up the entire flight...and do seem to recall that while it may have been rough getting to sleep the first night, it wasn't all that difficult to adjust.  I think it was worse once I came back.  

My personal experience is that the coming back isn't too bad. I usually end up waking up earlier than normal for a few days but it is a pretty easy adjustment for me and I feel perfectly fine and have plenty energy.

On the other hand, going there and losing time in a day is tough for me. I take a trip over to Europe every year or two and where I am going (wife's family. You know, mail order bride) costs me 7 hours of the day. It takes me about two days to shake the extreme lethargy after this trip.

I hope the Vikings can do things to improve this situation with their players. If not, it will minimally impact the energy levels of the players during preparatory practices. They should be fine by Sunday but might not feel like they got in all the pre-game prep they would like.

8 hours ago, disaacs said:

I fly trans-Atlantic 4 times each year.  I've never slept as much as 2 seconds while traveling on a moving vehicle.  I stay awake all flight (usually watching 4-5 films on the longest flight), and then, after staying awake a day and a half, stay up late that night (further extending the day) - because I haven't seen my friends or family in a long time.  Often, I even work early the next morning.   So, I just act as I've been in the new place all along.  I'm a little more tired than usual the 2nd night back, and so, go to sleep earlier than normal (between 10:30 and 11:30 PM.  By the 2nd day, I'm feeling fine, and never need an "adjustment period".  I've been doing that every year since 1965, and never experienced "jet lag".  But, I've never needed much sleep.  I only slept 4-5 hours even as a young child.  People are different.  Your body tells you how much sleep you need.  But, I think adhering to the new time zone's times, and being tired the first night, and going to sleep earlier (but not too early) the second evening, is the best way to avoid "confusing" your body's time clock.

5 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

debating on what to do. I stayed sober for the Pittsburgh and Lions game.... Do I start drinking at 8:30....or not.

I wish I had that decision.   I have to go back to work Saturday thru Tuesday and getting done at 6am.  Game starts at 730 am for me here.  So I'm still debating if I should just stay up after work and throw my sleep schedule all out of wack or record the game and watch it at 1pm when I wake up.  

Following a long-established tradition in Cleveland, quarterback DeShone Kizer has had a miserable rookie season. The Browns’ second-round pick was thrown into the fire after winning the starting job in training camp and preseason. His opening game showed promise. Cleveland lost 21-18 to Pittsburgh in Week 1 and the rookie QB went 20-for-30 with 222 yards, one touchdown, one interception.

Since then he’s thrown two touchdowns, 10 interceptions and has a 49.0% completion percentage and 40.2 rating. Last week, Kizer was pulled after going 12-for-20 with two interceptions against the Tennessee Titans.

Kizer’s numbers have been bad no matter where he throws the ball, but his worst moments have come on intermediate throws that require being able to read the defense and anticipate openings. On passes between 11-20 yards, Kizer is 13-for-41 with one touchdown, five interceptions and a 20.6 rating. Over 20 yards, he’s just 5-for-21 with the longest being a 38-yard completion.

On throws between 1-10 yards, he’s been mildly effective, averaging 8.7 yards per completion and registering a 70.0 rating. The Browns’ two running backs are dangerous. Crowell and Duke Johnson have combined for 45 catches on 62 targets for 422 yards.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/10/kizers-chance-vikings-yards-catch/

The Vikings have wide receiver Stefon Diggs back in the lineup.Diggs missed the last two games with a groin injury, but was able to practice in both the U.S. and the U.K. this week before being listed as questionable to play against the Browns in London. The Vikings have handed in their list of inactive players and Diggs isn’t on it, so he’ll be in the lineup as Minnesota tries to wrap up the first half of their season with a 6-2 record.

Left tackle Riley Reiff, cornerback Mackensie Alexander and wide receiver Michael Floyd are also good to go after getting the questionable tag, but left guard Nick Easton will miss a third straight game with a calf injury. Jeremiah Sirles started the last two games in his place, but was ruled out with a knee injury so Danny Isidora should get the nod.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/29/stefon-diggs-active-for-vikings/

Archived