Browns extend RB Nick Chubb for 3 years / 36.6 million

TheRealMcCoy

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Miles Sanders, JK Dobbins, and Ronald Jones are also 2k rushers. Damien Harris and Gus Edwards are right there as well, coaches should really learn to utilize these guys more.

I should have prefaced it with *good RBs* and not rotational garbage. JK Dobbins though is a monster and will be a top 5 back in the NFL next year given the volume. 

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I should have prefaced it with *good RBs* and not rotational garbage. JK Dobbins though is a monster and will be a top 5 back in the NFL next year given the volume. 

Well, in theory, given averages - all those guys are elite running backs as well. 

Either that, or we can’t extrapolate YPC. One or the other.

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Well, in theory, given averages - all those guys are elite running backs as well. 

Either that, or we can’t extrapolate YPC. One or the other.

After watching the game of professional football, I can confidently say that Nick Chubb could maintain that average with 5 more carries per game and a guy like Gus Edwards with 200+ more carries per season would not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here is the wild thing. Nick Chubb ranks outside the top 10 in rushing attempts per game at lowly 15 per game.

If he would have gotten the same amount of carries as Derek Henry did last year--given his YPC average, Chubb would have gone over 2k yards. But hes never going to get 22+ carries per game like Henry, Zeke, Cook, Jacobs, ect

Derek Henry- 396 carries. 5.4 YPC = 2,027 yards

Nick Chubb- 396 carries. 5.6 YPC =  2,047 yards (only received 221 last year)

SO in theory, given averages- Nick Chubb is a 2k yard rusher that will almost never be given the opportunity to reach that b/c of volume.

He gets no respect in the league and amongst fans imo because he is in a legit timeshare with someone and gets overlooked because of it.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

After watching the game of professional football, I can confidently say that Nick Chubb could maintain that average with 5 more carries per game and a guy like Gus Edwards with 200+ more carries per season would not.

Agreed. 

Doesn’t make extrapolating YPC anymore valid, however.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Given Chubb almost won the rushing title 2 years ago, in his case, yes. It’s certainly not all encompassing/universal.

No, extrapolating efficiency on a x2 basis, doesn’t make sense to do. 

Chubb’s YPC, his efficiency, was better the less carries he got. They fed him more in 2019, 100+ more carries than in 2020, and his average was closer to guys like a Dalvin or a Jones. Giving another 100 or so carries, effectively doubling the attempts in 2020, and assuming the efficiency stays there, doesn’t make sense. 

Chubb’s definitely that type of back, but you actually have to do these things before being gifted that label. 

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I’d give my left to nut to have Chubb on the Dolphins with that deal.

I dont know whats happening but Im not used to good players taking a team friendly deal to stay with Cleveland. Its usually good player taking less money to go play for the Steelers or something.

22 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

No, extrapolating efficiency on a x2 basis, doesn’t make sense to do. 

Chubb’s YPC, his efficiency, was better the less carries he got. They fed him more in 2019, 100+ more carries than in 2020, and his average was closer to guys like a Dalvin or a Jones. Giving another 100 or so carries, effectively doubling the attempts in 2020, and assuming the efficiency stays there, doesn’t make sense. 

Chubb’s definitely that type of back, but you actually have to do these things before being gifted that label. 

I just feel extremely confident in it, like I really dont think people understand how good Nick Chubb is. 

E74EPP2X0AE4PW_?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

On 8/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, AkronsWitness said:

I dont know whats happening but Im not used to good players taking a team friendly deal to stay with Cleveland. Its usually good player taking less money to go play for the Steelers or something.

I get that Chubb is good, but isn't this deal just fair? He is getting paid like the 5th best RB in the game which is exactly what he is. The guys above him are either better than him at his game(Henry), or able to influence the game through the passing game as well(Kamara, CMAC, Cook).

The only RB who clearly shouldn't be getting more money that Chubb on that list is Elliot and that contract is just really bad. I am sure a lot of Cleveland fans are not going to like this take, but I don't think this is some great home town deal. Yes, he probably gets paid a bit more on the open market simply because demand would be higher, but he isn't getting anywhere close to Kamara money regardless of where he signed. He also gets to secure his money a year early while playing the position with the highest turnover rate in the sport.

It's a fair deal for a top 5 RB. I do think they structured the deal well which gives them an out late into the contract if his play declines which is very possible.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I get that Chubb is good, but isn't this deal just fair? He is getting paid like the 5th best RB in the game which is exactly what he is. The guys above him are either better than him at his game(Henry), or able to influence the game through the passing game as well(Kamara, CMAC, Cook).

The only RB who clearly shouldn't be getting more money that Chubb on that list is Elliot and that contract is just really bad. I am sure a lot of Cleveland fans are not going to like this take, but I don't think this is some great home town deal. Yes, he probably gets paid a bit more on the open market simply because demand would be higher, but he isn't getting anywhere close to Kamara money regardless of where he signed. He also gets to secure his money a year early while playing the position with the highest turnover rate in the sport.

It's a fair deal for a top 5 RB. I do think they structured the deal well which gives them an out late into the contract if his play declines which is very possible.

I disagree. I think he is equally as good as Henry as a pure runner, the raw stats like yards/tds will never match up because Henry is given 100+ more carries. That guys stats will always look good because he is given almost 400 carries per year, where Chubb usually operates in the 250-300 range because of Hunt--but Chubbs YPC is higher than Henrys and Chubb averages 10.0 YPC in the 4th quarter of games which is unprecedented. Henry/Chubbs advanced stats are all nearly identical.

For Kamara/CMC, its impossible to tell--sure they do more receiving but neither is the better runner than Chubb. Its comparing apples to oranges. Plus, its not like Chubb is immune to catching the ball, he just has one of the best 3rd down backs in the NFL behind him that takes that role.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I disagree. I think he is equally as good as Henry as a pure runner, the raw stats like yards/tds will never match up because Henry is given 100+ more carries. That guys stats will always look good because he is given almost 400 carries per year, where Chubb usually operates in the 250-300 range because of Hunt--but Chubbs YPC is higher than Henrys and Chubb averages 10.0 YPC in the 4th quarter of games which is unprecedented. Henry/Chubbs advanced stats are all nearly identical.

For Kamara/CMC, its impossible to tell--sure they do more receiving but neither is the better runner than Chubb. Its comparing apples to oranges. Plus, its not like Chubb is immune to catching the ball, he just has one of the best 3rd down backs in the NFL behind him that takes that role.

It is entirely possible that Chubb's efficiency is better relating to Henry is because he carries the ball less. It makes a lot of sense. He will consistently have fresher legs and will be less likely to be banged up because he is simply not touching the ball as much. He will be much fresher going later into the season. This also helps in the fourth quarter as he will be way less gassed than a defense that has been trying to hit two very good RB's all game. You can feel however you like about the player, but IMO Henry is the best pure runner in the NFL today, not that the gap is all that big.

For the other three, it isn't about comparing how "good" they are as RB's, it is about what skillset is more valuable. It is obvious that RB's that are able to excel at catching the football are just more valuable to a football team than the Chubb/Henry's of the NFL. They get paid more because they can do more in today's NFL.

Again, I am not saying the contract was bad at all. I simply believe it was a fair deal for both sides and just made a lot of sense. Chubb gets to stay in the same city and play in an offense that will cater to his strengths, while not overworking him which can help extend his career. The Browns keep the most important pieces of their offense together in order to take pressure off the QB. It's a great extension, I just don't think it was some fantastic steal for the Browns.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan