Browns extend RB Nick Chubb for 3 years / 36.6 million

TheRealMcCoy

I don't understand the "great deal for both sides" or "he's set up for another contract in his prime".

He's gonna be 29 when the deal ends. I mean I guess it's possible some team wants to spend way too much money on him at that age, but unless he's a huge outlier, 29 will be the end of his prime/will be when he's slowing down.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't understand the "great deal for both sides" or "he's set up for another contract in his prime".

He's gonna be 29 when the deal ends. I mean I guess it's possible some team wants to spend way too much money on him at that age, but unless he's a huge outlier, 29 will be the end of his prime/will be when he's slowing down.

I agree that it's a good deal for both sides, but I do get what you mean about getting another contract. RBs have short life spans that tend to die down around 30 years old. But getting a 3 year extension when a RB is only 25 is a good medium. However, it's common practice nowadays to add a void year to a player's contract in order to free up space. So unless he's traded, it's likely he'll spend his entire prime career with the Browns.

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

I don’t think he’s gonna get another significant payday either, but I do think it’s a good deal for both sides.

Chubb is getting a “decent” contract to play on a talented team that should have some level of success.  He’s also able to play a couple more years with Hunt who is going to keep his carries in check and reduce his wear and tear.

I guess I just can understand a guy taking a little less to be in a good situation as opposed to taking the LeVeon Bell route and dropping off the face of the planet with a bad team all for a couple million more dollars.

Provided he’s not an idiot with his money, he’ll never want for anything of consequence ever again either way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

You are right but at the same time him getting a 2nd contract even if its 3 years is still job security at a great avg salary. Considering his position its great for Chubb, i just wish RBs were able to make more. Depending on how he’s doing he could still get another 3 year deal as well

9 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Not necessarily, Chubb has/is been in a very unique situation many of the other top RBs are not. He was basically a backup his rookie year and he has split carries with Hunt and will continue to split carries for at least 2 more years 

Chubb won't have nearly the wear and tear on his body at 29 that most other RBs do because of Hunt. That was the plan all along to extend the shelf lives of both of them by splitting carries and extending their careers.

Plus, Chubb gives me some major Frank Gore type of vibes

Edited by AkronsWitness

I'm in agreement with those that are saying getting out at 29 vs 30 is a big deal. I think NFL front offices still have a big stigma against the big 3-0, and the kind of deal he'd get at 29 compared to 30 might actually make up for taking a bit less money on this current deal. Assuming he's still a good to great RB at 29 with no major injuries he could definitely get another good 3 year payday.

I also find myself agreeing with those that just taking this deal now is probably a safer and smarter decision than waiting it out for a free agent/top paid RB kind of deal. The risk of injury is just too great at RB, and while we've seen guys suffer injury and still get paid, I feel like the NFL is trending away from paying big money to RBs that arent big time receiving threats.

RB is just so devalued because of how easy it is to get "decent" guys to fill the RB role, compared to just about any other position... no doubt that having a special player like Chubb is absolutely worth the money, but no other position has the league wide depth to come in and be an immediate starter for 1/10th the pay at 75% of the production.

Saves Cleveland some money on the books to pay other positions, and ultimately gives Chubb the security to know he's taken care of for life now and can just focus on improving his craft rather than his contract. I really like the direction Cleveland is headed and no matter the ultimate results, I find their decisions made to be MUCH more sound and smart than the last couple decades. Browns fans definitely deserve to see a good team after all the years of stewing in the toilet bowl.

• Like 1

I forgot that Sony Michel went ahead of Chubb in the draft. 

Oof.

I also forgot that Chubb was selected with the 2nd round pick the Browns got for taking Brock Osweiler off of the Texans' hands.

Double oof.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I forgot that Sony Michel went ahead of Chubb in the draft. 

Oof.

I also forgot that Chubb was selected with the 2nd round pick the Browns got for taking Brock Osweiler off of the Texans' hands.

Double oof.

So basically you’re saying you guys…errr, the Texans are responsible for our ascent?  Not a good look hombre.