Why do some 16-0/15-1 teams go one and done in playoffs?

Championshiporbust

On 8/14/2021 at 7:56 AM, ET80 said:

Any given Sunday.

Pretty much. The same reason why 0 win teams get their first and only W of the season. They may look like they don't have a chance, but games aren't played on paper. It's about good matchups, good coaching and a bit of luck.

• Like 1

The bye week can affect these teams that get "into a groove" and causes them to get out of sync. A good example would be the 2016 Cowboys who rested their starters Week 17, so their starters didn't play for 2 weeks and then they are down 21-3 to the Packers in the blink of an eye. Clawed their way back, sure, but the damage was already done.

Some of these 1 seeds that lose in the divisional round are also a little overrated, with expected W/L's closer to a 9/10 win team. Yes, they got bounced early, but they would've lost the next weekend, anyways.

Edited by Nozizaki

1972 Dolphins could have lost the playoff opener to Cleveland as 13 point favorite. I was there and will never forget it. The Orange Bowl crowd was silent and stunned. Cleveland owned all the energy. Their sideline was bouncing around. Browns led 14-13 nearing the middle of the 4th quarter. Earl Morrall was suddenly old and doing nothing at quarterback. We knew we needed a big play somewhere. Morrall was incapable of chunks at a time. Cleveland had done a good job of shutting down Csonka and the running game, especially on key plays.

Then out of nowhere it happened. I can still envision it and will never forget it. Deep crossing pattern to Warfield toward the closed end of the Orange Bowl. Easily the most significant play in franchise history. The crowd erupted and the energy level of both teams totally changed. Kiick scored the game winner a few plays later.

I'm sure lots of younger fans look at that 20-14 score and think...okay, probably closer than expected, but no big deal. They have no idea. Imagine the stain on the franchise at 14-1, compared to the incredible sustained aura of 17-0.

Most of us thought Griese should start the following week at Pittsburgh. It felt gloomy while Morrall was still out there. Not impossible, but I was pessimistic. As soon as Shula made the change at halftime I had no doubt. Then Griese immediately hit Warfield on a quick slant to totally change the complexion of that game. Griese was so calm and sharp he was not frayed by the Steeler defense at all. Quarterbacks called their own plays in that era. Griese knew which running plays to call and when to call them, as opposed to Morrall who was overly pass reliant in the first half.