Rank the O-Lines in the NFC East

MikeT14

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I left it open ended cause I don’t know how he might play.

Also, Mailata was getting beat by Joe Ostman who hasn’t been a rosterable player. Dillard has lost most to Josh Sweat who we are all expecting to have a breakout season and probably be our best DE.

I also think there should be rust there for a guy who hasn’t consistently played football since the 2019 regular season.

His excuses are definitely gonna dwindle quickly though. There is no way we keep him around for a 5th season most likely assuming Mailata gets paid after this year. A 5th year option is expensive especially for a tackle. We aren’t picking that up for him, especially since he can only play LT.

Hopefully he doesn't, outside of jumbo packages.

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Dillard I really liked coming out of college, what is his problem then?  Is it his injuries or is he simply not getting it at this level.  Disappointing big time if that is the case because coming out of Washington State he showed a lot of athletic upside and potential.

Dillard's big thing is probably mental toughness and physical strength. Mental toughness in that I think Derek Barnett made him cry during a practice his rookie year and the HC and GM and to come over to talk to him. Then, physical strength in that he really really struggles with the bull rush. It's something he struggled with as a rookie and it hasn't got much better. Granted it sucked he got that bicep injury in camp last year that kept him out all season and into the offseason before it healed and he was able to start doing upper body lifting again, but yeah he's been just getting kind of killed in camp on power rushes. Mailata on the other hand never really ever loses to power. If he loses its not fast like Dillard. It takes guys longer to get around him when they do manage to beat him whether its with an outside rush or stringing together moves.

Dillard main issues are functional strength/contact balance/leverage and probably attitude. He can throw around weight in a gym just fine, but he can't apply that gym strength to the football field. And he's an OL that doesn't seem to want contact. Almost like he secretly wishes he was the teams kicker or one of those guys who throws cheerleaders into the air, where as Mailata wants to be the DL's daddy until the whistle sounds, and only then will he take his foot off your throat and sing you an acoustic ballad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
25 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

That's true. Herbig should be the jumbo.

Dickerson would be great too.

Maybe in November. I don't want to see him before that. He tore his acl 8 months ago? Plus I want to see him starting when he's finally ready. Isaac can be the jumbo once Landon is 100%.

Edited by Jeezla

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Dillard main issues are functional strength/contact balance/leverage and probably attitude. He can throw around weight in a gym just fine, but he can't apply that gym strength to the football field. And he's an OL that doesn't seem to want contact. Almost like he secretly wishes he was the teams kicker or one of those guys who throws cheerleaders into the air, where as Mailata wants to be the DL's daddy until the whistle sounds, and only then will he take his foot off your throat and sing you an acoustic ballad.

That first part is what I said, but the second part made me chuckle 😅

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Maybe in November. I don't want to see him before that. He tore his acl 8 months ago?

Yeah he just hit the 8 month mark since he tore it in mid December. I wasn’t suggesting we rush him back just that he would be a good option for that role cause he’s basically OT sized and probably has near the best power of our interior even as a rookie.

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

My issue with this is if it uses last year, its probably faulty. Both the Eagles and Cowboys were devastated with injuries. Speaking for the Cowboys, we went through something like 4-5 OTs, 2-3 OGs, and 2-3 C's. 

Yes.  The best we can do is look at the components rather than the previous year's overall unit (which may be configured differently now), concentrating on how well the players performed before becoming injured.  Unfortunately, this metric doesn't always fully accommodate coaching that has consistently produced great or terrible O-Lines regardless of their underlying talent.  It also won't account for offensive linemen playing with nagging injuries. :(

"We live in available light." - John Stewart

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I left it open ended cause I don’t know how he might play.

Also, Mailata was getting beat by Joe Ostman who hasn’t been a rosterable player. Dillard has lost most to Josh Sweat who we are all expecting to have a breakout season and probably be our best DE.

I also think there should be rust there for a guy who hasn’t consistently played football since the 2019 regular season.

His excuses are definitely gonna dwindle quickly though. There is no way we keep him around for a 5th season most likely assuming Mailata gets paid after this year. A 5th year option is expensive especially for a tackle. We aren’t picking that up for him, especially since he can only play LT.

Dillard just seems soft. Had to uninstall social media, reports of him taking himself out of practice after tough reps, talk that he is getting beat by bull rushes regularly in camp. I think he just doesn't have the mentality or nasty streak to be a good player. He has the physical tools, but if you don't have a bit of a mean streak in you it's just tough to be a starting lineman in the NFL. Maybe something clicks down the line, but I just don't see him ever being a guy you want to start for your team unless it is absolutely necessary.

Mailata on the other hand you can see that he loves to mix it up when he plays. He looks for the contact with the DL and wants to push guys around. He is also a massive dude and a much better athlete than Dillard which only makes him more suitable to play LT.

If Dillard can be a decent spot starter as a swing tackle at this point, I'd say that is a win for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Maybe in November. I don't want to see him before that. He tore his acl 8 months ago? Plus I want to see him starting when he's finally ready. Isaac can be the jumbo once Landon is 100%.

If Landon plays this year, I would be shocked. If our OL is beat up and we need him to play, that probably means the season is done and he should just sit to get fully healthy. If our OL stays healthy it's unlikely he is going to be an upgrade at any spot on the line this season in which case he should just sit to ensure his health.

Landon in 2022 is what we want, center if Kelce retires or guard if Brooks gets hurt again.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If Landon plays this year, I would be shocked. If our OL is beat up and we need him to play, that probably means the season is done and he should just sit to get fully healthy. If our OL stays healthy it's unlikely he is going to be an upgrade at any spot on the line this season in which case he should just sit to ensure his health.

Landon in 2022 is what we want, center if Kelce retires or guard if Brooks gets hurt again.

Landon as the '22 starting C would be ideal. Easier to find a good OG than it is a C. I think he will see the field at some point this year tho. Probably in December.

Edited by Jeezla

12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He's not close to starting. The job is Jordan Mailata's who played pretty well in his first time starting in the regular season last year and has looked great in camp far outplaying Dillard like it hasn't been close. He has the physical tools to be an elite LT, but we'll see if he can put it together technique wise to unlock that potential.

You're underselling Seumalo and you probably didn't watch Mailata last season.

Dillard is NOT starting. 

Frustrated Head GIF

Mailata is average at best as well. So meh. Seumalo is bad. I'm not underselling either guy. And don't give me the "you didn't watch" BS. I saw more than enough Philly on my TV last year.

12 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Both.  The PFF ratings are aggregates of the current O-Linemen based on individual performance last year.  ESPN uses Win-Rates.  Undroppables use other criteria, including continuity.  These are often broken down by run versus pass blocking.

PFF is trash for OL rankings. Most OL guys I know laugh at how they grade OL. Duke, Foster, all the guys that actually played go on twitter all the time and bash their OL rankings too. It's really sad how terrible they are at grading OL.

23 hours ago, scar988 said:

In order using Ourlads to determine starters:

Dallas: Tyron Smith - Connor Williams - Tyler Biadasz - Zach Martin - La'El Collins

Philly: Andre Dillard - Isaac Seumalo - Jason Kelce - Brandon Brooks - Lane Johnson

Washington: Charles Leno - Wes Schweitzer - Chase Roullier - Brandon Scherff - Samuel Cosmi

Giants: Andrew Thomas - Shane Lemieux - Nick Gates - Will Hernandez - Will Peart

Dallas has a good mix of talent and size and history.

Philly has a good right side that's old, but the left side isn't very good.

Washington has a RG and a C, but the rest is either unproven or meh.

Giants have a good RG, but average or way worst elsewhere.

Even with Mailata at LT for the Eagles. I'd still have Dallas over them if Dallas is 100%. Biadasz was solid last year. Williams was too. Both are league average guys. Martin and Smith are the best RG and LT in the league when they're healthy. Collins is an above average RT.

Philly has Mailata or Dillard at LT who are both average or below average. Seumalo who is below average. Kelce who is a top 10 C, Brooks who is a top 5 RG, and Lane Johnson who is a top 5 RT. 

To me, I'll take the Elite LT and RG and above avg RT combo over the combo of a top 10 C, top 5 RG and top 5 RT who are all on the wrong side of 30. LT being a weak spot is not something I feel comfortable with regardless of who my QB or the rest of it is.

Edited by scar988

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Mailata is average at best as well. So meh. Seumalo is bad. I'm not underselling either guy. And don't give me the "you didn't watch" BS. I saw more than enough Philly on my TV last year.

Yeah you are. You have no idea what you’re talking about lol.

• Like 1