Around the League 2022

Bobby816

30 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

The bold. 

It doesn't quite work like that man.

For example...

C.J. Mosley.  

He's due $17.5M next year for 2022 but we can't cut him this offseason because of a $20.5M dead cap hit. 

Vs.

Next years offseason of 2023 he'll be due $18.5M and 2024 $18.5M = $37M over two years (2023/2024).

But next offseason NY can straight up cut him due to dead cap hits of only $3M (2023) and $1.5M (2024).

Which means $37M in savings - Dead Cap Hit of only $4.5M = $32.5M in savings (if cutting C.J Mosely next offseason.

(instead of this offseason ala 2022 = $20.5M in dead cap hit).

And the same goes for many of these Dallas players you mentioned. 

☆ Release DeMarcus Lawrence this Offseason and it doesn't save them $27M due to a $19M dead cap hit 2022 and a dead cap hit of $11M 2023 = $30M dead cap hit over two years.

(Dallas is stuck with DeMarcus Lawrence for at least two more offseasons).

+

☆ Release Zach Martin this offseason and it doesn't save them $20M because he's got a dead cap hit of $17M (2022).

+

☆ Release Tyron Smith this offseason and it doesn't save them $17.5M because of a $12M dead cap hit (2022). 

+

☆ Release La'el  Collins this offseason and it doesn't save them $15M due to a dead cap hit of $14M (2022).

+

☆ Release Amari Cooper this Offseason and it doesn't save them $22M because of a $6M dead cap hit (2022) and $4M dead cap hit (2023) = $10M dead cap hit over two years.

+

☆ Release Anthony Brown this offseason and it doesn't save them $6.5M because of a dead cap hit of $1.5M.

☆ Release Blake Jarwin this offseason and it doesn't save them $6M because of a $2M dead cap hit.

☆ Release Jourdan Lewis this offseason and it doesn't save them $4.5M because of a $2.5M dead cap hit.

Etc.

Etc.

▪︎ With the examples you're providing it's making it seem as if Dallas would save $118.5M (by releasing those 8 players).

▪︎ But yet you're forgetting about the (2022) dead cap hits of $74M (by releasing those 8 players).

$118.5M - 74.0M = only $44.5M (2022) in cap savings.  

And guess what?

Dallas is -$21.5M above the cap (30th in the league). 

Release all 8 of those players and Dallas has a lot of holes with only $23M in available salary cap space. 

Plus they'll have to sign free agents to fill those holes, have money left over for draft picks and that's not even included the $9M-$14M for DALTON SCHULTZ. 

It won't be easy to bring back Dalton Schultz it'll almost be, impossible. 

The NFL has dead cap hits to prevent teams like the Jets escaping C.J. Mosley's 2022 contract or KC just throwing Mahomes away ($92M 2022 dead cap vs. 2022 $35M contract) and/or Dallas being able to easily keep Dalton Schultz etc.

DAL cuts Lawrence and Cooper that saves 24mill. Lawrence 8mill and Cooper 16mill. Martin, Smith and Collins would save another 10mill. And the easy savings are guys like Jarwin and Lewis who would save 6mill. Now obviously DAL is cutting 7 players to clear up 46mill in cap. That's getting rid of darn near a whole OL. But they 100% can rework deals. And it doesn't take much in moving around money with these 7 guys to clear up 40mill. This is all of course without factoring in other cuts. There's always those guys who barely anyone knows getting paid close to 1mill and each team can darn near cut 5-10 of them to clear up space as well.

DAL IMO will have no problem keeping Schultz. And I get that that might make some uneasy bc they really want him. But we have to be real at the same point. DAL every year is in this situation and always seems to make it work. So I have no reason to think this offseason will be any different. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

DAL cuts Lawrence and Cooper that saves 24mill. Lawrence 8mill and Cooper 16mill. Martin, Smith and Collins would save another 10mill. And the easy savings are guys like Jarwin and Lewis who would save 6mill. Now obviously DAL is cutting 7 players to clear up 46mill in cap. That's getting rid of darn near a whole OL. But they 100% can rework deals. And it doesn't take much in moving around money with these 7 guys to clear up 40mill. This is all of course without factoring in other cuts. There's always those guys who barely anyone knows getting paid close to 1mill and each team can darn near cut 5-10 of them to clear up space as well.

DAL IMO will have no problem keeping Schultz. And I get that that might make some uneasy bc they really want him. But we have to be real at the same point. DAL every year is in this situation and always seems to make it work. So I have no reason to think this offseason will be any different. 

Cowboys can designate Cooper and Lawrence as June 1 Cut to save a whopping 39m if they want to.

Bottom line is tagging Schultz is not out of reach but is that necessary?   That is something we truly don't know yet.

• Like 1

Dallas is in a similar to NO a couple of years ago.  They have a team that can contend but are up against the cap.  You can push money down the road for only so long.  Right now Dallas does have some room, but, like NO, they will come up against it in a year or two.  I have little doubt the Dallas cap magicians will wave their wands and find money to keep the players they feel are important to success.  Schultz may be one of them.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Dallas is in a similar to NO a couple of years ago.  They have a team that can contend but are up against the cap.  You can push money down the road for only so long.  Right now Dallas does have some room, but, like NO, they will come up against it in a year or two.  I have little doubt the Dallas cap magicians will wave their wands and find money to keep the players they feel are important to success.  Schultz may be one of them.

Not cool to bring Saints up. lol.   I have headaches figuring out how to fix their salary cap.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Not cool to bring Saints up. lol.   I have headaches figuring out how to fix their salary cap.

NO tried to cheat and got busted that is one way.  The point is that the salary cap is extremely complicated and things can be done to "find" $.  Since I value what few brain cells I have left, I will not strain them to figure it out.

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

NO tried to cheat and got busted that is one way.  The point is that the salary cap is extremely complicated and things can be done to "find" $.  Since I value what few brain cells I have left, I will not strain them to figure it out.

They are loyal to players too much.   I was gming Saints last year and may gm them again this year.  For TCMD, I mean.

Edited by JetsandI

12 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Cowboys can designate Cooper and Lawrence as June 1 Cut to save a whopping 39m if they want to.

Bottom line is tagging Schultz is not out of reach but is that necessary?   That is something we truly don't know yet.

Exactly or they can just trade 1 of them and that erases their cap issues. I mean giving Cooper's salary... I think a team and DAL (bc it gives them cap relief) would take a 3rd for him. He's worth more than that... but bc of his salary, they're going to have to take less. But that helps them out a ton. And there's plenty of teams that will line up for Cooper for a 3rd IMO. And that team could even rework his deal possibly. 

Exactly or they can just trade 1 of them and that erases their cap issues. I mean giving Cooper's salary... I think a team and DAL (bc it gives them cap relief) would take a 3rd for him. He's worth more than that... but bc of his salary, they're going to have to take less. But that helps them out a ton. And there's plenty of teams that will line up for Cooper for a 3rd IMO. And that team could even rework his deal possibly. 

The quicker deal, the better.   NFL teams must get salary cap under control on the first of new league year.

DAL cuts Lawrence and Cooper that saves 24mill. Martin, Smith and Collins would save another 10mill.

No DeMarcus Lawrence (DE). 

No Aamari Cooper (WR). 

No Zach Martin (RG). 

No La'el  Collins (RT).

No Tyron Smith (LT). 

And the Dallas Cowboys don't compete 2022, their #1 O falls off a cliff and Dak Prescott gets absolutely destroyed.  

Yes. That'll save them $34M in cap savings. 

But because they're -$21.5M over the cap that'll leave them with only $12.5M in available salary cap space.

Which doesn't include having to pay Dalton Schultz approximately $10M.

(leaves them with $2.5M).

Dallas keeping Dalton Schultz is impossible without gutting almost their entire team of core players. 

No matter how you try and slice it. Dallas is in serious salary cap/roster hell. Which is why they rank 30th in available salary cap space (and only Green Bay and New Orleans have less than them).

Keeping Dalton Schultz isn't happening and even Dallas Cowboys know the truth their entire fan base knows they've lost him to Free Agency.  

The only question is if he wants to play for New York with Zach Wilson or not (both from Utah and both Mormon).

37 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

It doesn't save them $39M. 

Lawrence has a $19M dead cap hit (2022) and Cooper $6M cap hit (2022). 

That's $25M in dead cap hits. 

That's not savings of $39M. 

Franchise Tag for 2022 TE = $10.8M.

Not a smart idea for a team already ranked 30th in available salary cap space and already -21.5M over the cap. 

Franchise tag Dalton Schultz and that automatically puts them -$32.3 over the cap (good luck overcoming that).

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

5 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

No but it is a savings of $22M which puts them in the black.  If they designate Lawrence a post June 1 cut, it will $19M savings with $8M dead money.  Just doing that and cutting some scrubs will also get them in the black.  So if the post June 1 cut Lawrence ($18M savings) and trade Cooper ($16M savings) plus cut some scrubs, they will have $34M + scrub savings - $21.5M OTC = $13.5M + scrub savings.  That alone may be enough to FT Schultz ($FT = $11M for TE) and sign their draft class.  This also without the savings from restructures and other cuts (do they really need a $2.5M kicker?).  In the end, Dallas, if they want, can keep Schultz, sign their draft class and have some operating budget.  Bringing in FA's may be tough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Franchise Tag for 2022 TE = $10.8M.

Not a smart idea for a team already ranked 30th in available salary cap space and already -21.5M over the cap. 

Franchise tag Dalton Schultz and that automatically puts them -$32.3 over the cap (good luck overcoming that).

no.

Cap saving is done after including dead cap.   Cowboys pick up 24m cap space for 2022 after cutting those players.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

No but it is a savings of $22M which puts them in the black.  If they designate Lawrence a post June 1 cut, it will $19M savings with $8M dead money.  Just doing that and cutting some scrubs will also get them in the black.  So if the post June 1 cut Lawrence ($18M savings) and trade Cooper ($16M savings) plus cut some scrubs, they will have $34M + scrub savings - $21.5M OTC = $13.5M + scrub savings.  That alone may be enough to FT Schultz ($FT = $11M for TE) and sign their draft class.  This also without the savings from restructures and other cuts (do they really need a $2.5M kicker?).  In the end, Dallas, if they want, can keep Schultz, sign their draft class and have some operating budget.  Bringing in FA's may be tough.

Not work that way.

They can't use Post June 1 Designation to create some cap room for Schultz or new FA signees in real life.

Salary cap will be affected on June 2nd even though cut player(s) sign with other team(s) in March.

Post June 1st Designation benefits to only players, not clubs' salary cap at the beginning of new league year.

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

No DeMarcus Lawrence (DE). 

No Aamari Cooper (WR). 

No Zach Martin (RG). 

No La'el  Collins (RT).

No Tyron Smith (LT). 

And the Dallas Cowboys don't compete 2022, their #1 O falls off a cliff and Dak Prescott gets absolutely destroyed.  

Yes. That'll save them $34M in cap savings. 

But because they're -$21.5M over the cap that'll leave them with only $12.5M in available salary cap space.

Which doesn't include having to pay Dalton Schultz approximately $10M.

(leaves them with $2.5M).

Dallas keeping Dalton Schultz is impossible without gutting almost their entire team of core players. 

No matter how you try and slice it. Dallas is in serious salary cap/roster hell. Which is why they rank 30th in available salary cap space (and only Green Bay and New Orleans have less than them).

Keeping Dalton Schultz isn't happening and even Dallas Cowboys know the truth their entire fan base knows they've lost him to Free Agency.  

The only question is if he wants to play for New York with Zach Wilson or not (both from Utah and both Mormon).

You're completely leaving out like 10 guys that they can cut for savings of around 10-15mill. Guys who don't even play for them. That they can use draft picks and really small contracts on. Every team has this. We do. Guys like Cashman, Perine, Nacau, Williams, Moffatt, Smart, Phillips, White, Samia, etc. 1/2 these guys we don't even know who they are. Every team has them and they save teams easily 10mill every offseason.

As I stated... It's clearly you REALLY want Schultz and I think you're just really really hoping he's a Jet. And I think a lot of us would love him too. But in reality... DAL extremely rarely lets good young players go. Every offseason they're against the cap and make it work while keeping the roster in tact. They're the kings of restructuring guys and such. No they wonr be able to keep all their FAs... but I'd venture to guess that if they could 1 and only 1 FA, that Schultz would be that guy. They're much more likely to let the guys like Kearse, KVDE, Gregory, etc. walk than let Schultz walk.