Preseason game 2 Raiders at Rams GDT

agarcia34

my quick takeaways:

offense

- offense looked much worse than last week, but that was mostly on these OL reserves getting obliterated. the tackles were especially bad. looks like we are banking on Parker to be a legit swing tackle.

- leatherwood had one bad rep early, but otherwise looked quite god

- peterman played conservative and checkdown happy, but largely fueled by OL constantly collapsing in front of him

- ragas is just very solid. does everything at a competent level, including pass protect. i like him more than emmons, and hope he makes the 53. richard is expendable with drake in the fold

defense

- the "starting" front 4 looked solid again. Cle seemingly won every rep he had against these Rams backups. Philon didnt look quite as explosive as last week.

- nate hobbs definitely the story of the day. all over the place again. lawson was also just, bad. robertson looked good on defense and special teams. really hoping lawson doesnt make the 53 at this point. douglas was mostly getting picked on but had some good plays late

- dallin leavitt needs to be cut

- i thought koonce was mostly invisible. had some tackles late though, including one sack (where the pocket was collapsing due to a blitz). i just havent seen him win with juice around the edge, though.

- javin white was looking really solid again, but looks like he's out for the season, which is a serious bummer. muse looked ok in his spot, too.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

my quick takeaways:

offense

- offense looked much worse than last week, but that was mostly on these OL reserves getting obliterated. the tackles were especially bad. looks like we are banking on Parker to be a legit swing tackle.

- leatherwood had one bad rep early, but otherwise looked quite god

- peterman played conservative and checkdown happy, but largely fueled by OL constantly collapsing in front of him

- ragas is just very solid. does everything at a competent level, including pass protect. i like him more than emmons, and hope he makes the 53. richard is expendable with drake in the fold

defense

- the "starting" front 4 looked solid again. Cle seemingly won every rep he had against these Rams backups. Philon didnt look quite as explosive as last week.

- nate hobbs definitely the story of the day. all over the place again. lawson was also just, bad. robertson looked good on defense and special teams. really hoping lawson doesnt make the 53 at this point. douglas was mostly getting picked on but had some good plays late

- dallin leavitt needs to be cut

- i thought koonce was mostly invisible. had some tackles late though, including one sack (where the pocket was collapsing due to a blitz). i just havent seen him win with juice around the edge, though.

- javin white was looking really solid again, but looks like he's out for the season, which is a serious bummer. muse looked ok in his spot, too.

Philon played NT more the week which takes on the double team. 

also thought tanner muse played pretty good at will

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Leavitt most useless player on the roster. He offers nothing. Should have gotten cut last week after he had that awful tackle attempt on the sideline that resulted in a TD that should have been for a little gain. 

Eric Weddle 2.0 - Derek Carr

We mostly played nickel and I could only spot a couple of snaps where we had 3 LBs on the field. Bilal and White were the LBs in first half with Muse in as 3rd LB then it was Richardson and Muse in the 2nd half.

Stills was in the game 2nd half but didn’t do much. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yea but based off of what. They probably had him ranked as a safety. We drafted him to play linebacker.

Almost every draft nik listed him as a LB and IIRC although he was a "safety" at Clemson he played the majority of his snaps in a linebacker type role. It's like drafting a guy that played OT in college but doesn't have the physical tools to be an OT and projects as a guard in the NFL. The NFL's official website had a 6th round grade on him and the Athletic had a 5th round grade on him. It was a major reach at that point in the draft. 

"There is some love out there for him as a cover linebacker. I could see him going late in the draft but his safety days are over." -- Director of scouting for NFC team

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Clemson, Muse lined up at free safety in defensive coordinator Brent Venables 4-3 hybrid scheme. He steadily improved each season and finished his career with 59 games played, which is tied with three others for the school record. Muse is a smart, assignment sound player who can track down ball carriers from behind due to his pursuit speed. While he rarely makes undisciplined mistakes, he labors in his transition and won’t be able to mask his lack of fluidity in the NFL like he did in the ACC. Overall, Muse doesn’t have the athletic skill set to survive in coverage vs. pro weapons, but his straight-line speed, diagnose skills and toughness could make him a hired gun on special teams coverages and backup linebacker.

• Like 1