Preseason game 2 Raiders at Rams GDT

agarcia34

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Players being good is a relative phrase.  Good compared to the league average, other players on the team, what their salary is, or draft position.  Is Ferrell a good player?  He is a backup making $8.5 million this year and was drafted 4th overall.  I guess you could say he is a good backup.  If you want to put the Raiders first round picks up against the league average starters we have two good players out of 7.  Now this number could go up but this is were it stands right now.  You need to be more specific about what you are comparing them to.  If you overdraft a player they are not a good value right from the start.  Even if the produce up to the draft position.  If you could have taken them in the second but drafted them in the first you overpaid.  Bad choice but a good outcome.  That is called luck.  I would rather the FO and coaches have skill and talent.

In the last 4 years the Raiders have hit on 5 of 7 1st round picks. That's better then most teams but but you still talk about the 1 time we missed. Do you know just as well anybody that most of the 1st round pics are busts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

In the last 4 years the Raiders have hit on 5 of 7 1st round picks. That's better then most teams but but you still talk about the 1 time we missed. Do you know just as well anybody that most of the 1st round pics are busts. 

2018- Miller Hit

2019 - Ferrell Miss, Jacobs Close but I will say hit,  Abram Miss

2020 - Ruggs ?  Not a hit yet,  Arnette Miss so far

2021 - Leatherwood ? 

Miller is the only one that has played up to his draft position.  With the production we have received Miller is a 1st rounder and Jacobs is close.  Nobody else has played like a 1st rounder.  Can this change?  Of course.  The light bulb might go off in Ferrell's head and he might still live up to his draft position.  Not likely but possible.  To view it from another perspective how many of these guys, without seeing them play in the NFL, would you say were good value where they were drafted.  

2018- Miller 15-20 range

2019 - Ferrell 12-17, Jacobs 2nd round,  Abram 2nd round

2020 - Ruggs 20-25,  Arnette 2nd round

2021 - Leatherwood 2nd round

Miller and Ruggs are the only 2 I would say were drafted close to their value.

Out of curiosity who do you think we hit on?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

That is beautiful! 55 sells that really well. The more I see this Gus Bradley at work the more I think we might have accidentally hit on something here........

I just wonder if because we're seeing lots of blitzes now we actually won't be blitzing a lot in regular season, kind of a double bluff as he's not known for blitzing, quite the opposite in fact. I wouldn't put it past Gus Bradley to try and outwit teams like that. 

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

2018- Miller Hit

2019 - Ferrell Miss, Jacobs Close but I will say hit,  Abram Miss

2020 - Ruggs ?  Not a hit yet,  Arnette Miss so far

2021 - Leatherwood ? 

Thank you. 

Miller has been a hit. 

Jacobs has had hit-like production, but there's just something lacking for me. I'd still draft him, but I agree, he was taken early in that draft. He's not a megastar, but trending towards being among the best. 

Ferrell amd Abram, for what they were supposed to bring and where we took them, are effectively busts. Abram is on thin ice, and that was made a bit obvious with the moves we made. Ferrell...it's hilarious how his proponents went from "Great pick, STFU!" to "8-10 sacks!" to "5-7 sacks!" to "Well, he's good at stopping the run...." so quickly. Both were bad picks and wouldn't be here today if not for the investment. 

Ruggs has A LOT of improvement to make, considering who we took him ahead of. His supposedly refined route running (something his defenders pointed to when he was called a one trick pony) was bad enough that Mayock actually called it out. The potential is certainly there, but potential means little if it's not realized. 

Arnette sucks. I hated the pick from the beginning and can't wait for everyone to finally reach that consensus. Awful pick. The excuses are nauseating. 

Leatherwood is a rookie, so it's TBD. 

How anyone can defend our recent drafting is beyond me.

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

I think Abram and Ruggs will have big years this year. Arnette will sit a little and learn how to be a pro from Hayward. Some guys take time. We live in the era of Instant Gratification 

How someone can be called a bust after one year is baffling lol

12 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Quick to bash, slow to give praise.  

-Abrams(Who I don’t like by the way) is a bust after 13.5 games

-Arnette is a bust after 7 games lol

I can already predict what’s going to happen: Abrams is probably going to ball out this year because of the new system(unless he gets hurt) and then people are going to fight it for a while and then eventually act like they didn’t say anything.

Arnette’s not going start until Hayward get hurt and then he’s going to ball because he’s had time to actually learning NFL system and developing with an nfl offseason and get healthy. Then someone’s gonna say something senseless like “Well we still didn’t get him for good value“ or “Even if he did well we still got a got him in the second round(because  the internet said so)” lol

Edited by Jeremy408

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I can already predict what’s going to happen: Abrams is probably going to ball out this year because of the new system(unless he gets hurt) and then people are going to fight it for a while and then eventually act like they didn’t say anything.

Arnette’s not going start until Hayward get hurt and then he’s going to ball because he’s had time to actually learning NFL system and developing with an nfl offseason and get healthy. Then someone’s gonna say something senseless like “Well we still didn’t get him for good value“ or “Even if he did well we still got a got him in the second round(because  the internet said so)” lol

The experts in here know better than the FO and would only pick instant impact superstars with every pick. Development? 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

The experts in here know better than the FO and would only pick instant impact superstars with every pick. Development? 

The thing I always laughed at over the years how they’ll point to a rookie that went off as a rookie(last year it was Jefferson and say) how come our guy didn’t do that.” Lol 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Then someone’s gonna say something senseless like “Well we still didn’t get him for good value“ or “Even if he did well we still got a got him in the second round(because  the internet said so)” lol

I like saying 'senseless' things. lol So I'll say it now.

There are few Safeties worth a 1st round pick. Most 2nd to 3rd rounders are great and for a team that lacks talent, you don't 'reach' because every year some 1st round talent slips to the early 2nd where teams start to value that position as we did with Moehrig who I'd say only slipped because of possible injury concerns. Abram was a 'box safety' and not worth his draft position with all the other Safties that were on the board. I liked Thornhill and Adderly but was willing to wait and see who slipped. Still had trade downs and Abram probably wouldn't have gone before the other two, so once a 'run' starts then you can move up like we did this year. 

I see the draft as a way to fill a specific hole if you're a contender, get a stud if bottom barrel or for most teams a place to build your depth and hope a few breakout like Chris Jones for KC. The more 2nd-3rd rounders you have the better luck you can get. Our history under Gruden so far is to waste those picks. So a few fans have good reasons to be jaded. 

So I 'G' of the internet has spoken.  lol

• Like 1

Finally watched the game gotta say I was really impressed by leatherwood development he looked better vs the rams. On pass sets I’d like to see him meet the guy before the defender gets into his body. But for someone new to the position he played well. Definitely like that scoring drive in the 1st qtr. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Writing for myself I always preface criticisms or bashing whatever you wanna call it. By hoping I’m wrong and given player balls out.