CB Shaun Wade traded to Pats for '22 7th & '23 5th

coordinator0

Just now, ravens5520 said:

Why not Averett or Iman & keep Wade if he has the potential we expected?! Jimmy gone soon & Young unlikely to see another contact 

Iman is on IR and the staff likes Averett. A lot. If Wade is the one they're comfortable with letting go then I don't see an issue here. They've done pretty well at scouting the position in recent years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Iman is on IR and the staff likes Averett. A lot. If Wade is the one they're comfortable with letting go then I don't see an issue here. They've done pretty well at scouting the position in recent years. 

I forget Iman landed on the IR again. 
Suppose when we put it on paper for our depth, we can’t be upset to gain a future 4th or 5th depending on the return for a pick we might’ve lost via PS theft. 

Humphrey - Peters - Smith - Young   
Averett - Westry - Stephens - Wade - **Iman 

Forget Stephens some days and carrying a higher draft capital 

Depending on how you see Averett, Wade would've been our backup slot CB since Averett (from what I recall? Someone correct me if I'm wrong) primarily plays outside.

IF that is the case, this trade only confuses me because relying on Tavon Young to stay healthy is just not a good decision at this point in time. However, we are just littered with depth at CB right now and that's a great problem to have, so even if we trade him away, if we get a 5th in return it's basically like it never happened so I'm cool with that.

I doubt Wade would have really been the backup slot. They would just move Humphrey back there and then get a better overall option on the outside. It's not perfectly ideal, but neither is slotting an inferior player on the field. 

If Wade was showing real promise I highly doubt the team would be moving on from him, roster glut or not. And he must be completely healthy to avoid Baltimore's rookie IR stashing system. 😂

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Warrior or Westry were also traded. It seems highly unlikely anybody from the safety group will be moved (Chuck Clark / Deshon Elliot / Geno Stone / Ar'Darius Washington / Brandon Stephens) and the team still has 12 DBs overall. I'm not counting Levine since he barely plays defensive snaps anymore.

There's going to be a handful of tough decisions to get to 53 this year. If they can keep trading some of these bubble guys that would be good. 

Really hope this means Westry and Ar’Darius make the team.

Hopefully Warrior too, but he may only make it as a “wink wink” deal where they “cut” a veteran they aren’t worried will go elsewhere like McPhee, get Warrior on the 53, immediately IR him, then resign McPhee the next day for the same deal.

We could see a couple of those this year to keep some of this young talent on the 53 in order to IR them.

Weird news to wake up to. Ravens fans especially develop an early hope for and connection to their draft picks. So it's never fun when we have to see such a new Raven depart early. 

That said, the Ravens aren't moving any top flight CB. Probably not even a CB who flashes after the Darious Williams situation(Where we got nothing back in return BTW). Wade was overtaken by other back of the roster DBs early and stayed regulated. Smart to unload him for picks rather than play PS roulette.

Still want to wait to see who makes the final 53 to really gauge this move though. If we don't end up keeping guys like Ar'Darius Washington it could really sour in my mind. 

• Like 1

I know that ostensibly he was the back-up slot guy, but like c0 says, in the event that Tavon gets injured, it'd mean that Marlo goes into the slot and Jimmy/Averrett get on the field as a boundary CB anyway - not that Wade would have just replaced Tavon in the slot.

Sure he had potential, but he was only a 5th round pick and reportedly was either struggling or was fairly anonymous in TC and its really only the last pre-season game where he showed something (and even then was behind Nigel Warrior in the line-up).  I know there's potential for this to blow up in the faces of the FO (like trying to stash Darious Williams on the PS did), but overall I don't mind the trade

37 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I know that ostensibly he was the back-up slot guy, but like c0 says, in the event that Tavon gets injured, it'd mean that Marlo goes into the slot and Jimmy/Averrett get on the field as a boundary CB anyway - not that Wade would have just replaced Tavon in the slot.

Sure he had potential, but he was only a 5th round pick and reportedly was either struggling or was fairly anonymous in TC and its really only the last pre-season game where he showed something (and even then was behind Nigel Warrior in the line-up).  I know there's potential for this to blow up in the faces of the FO (like trying to stash Darious Williams on the PS did), but overall I don't mind the trade

Being low man on the totem pole on the boundary and  in the slot probably cemented the move. Ravens viewed Wade as a late round upside CB, getting a replacement 5th and then a 7th(Will be high, was originally the Texans') in exchange for that kind of commodity is good business in their mind.

• Like 1